• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With what issue did the Silver age Spider-man issues stop.
2 2

48 posts in this topic

You probably have the best answers from the experts already.

My observations:

If their is a CCA stamp on the cover, it won't be SA.

Also, if there is a physical size difference between two successive issues, the smaller one is BA.

Likewise, the UPC box disqualifies it as BA.

9 hours ago, Georgie123 said:

I personally think silver age ended when comics moved into the 15 cent period. All periods have a significant event that calls it an age I think the change in price warrents this. Silver age began with the introduction of 12 cent comics given the exception of the 3 10 cent examples that were right before the transition

DC SA has hundreds of issues. Are you saying the Atlas pre-hero books aren't Silver?

6 hours ago, romanheart said:

You probably have the best answers from the experts already.

My observations:

If their is a CCA stamp on the cover, it won't be SA.

Also, if there is a physical size difference between two successive issues, the smaller one is BA.

Likewise, the UPC box disqualifies it as BA.

???

If there is a CCA stamp on the cover, it will be SA (or later).

The last change to the dimensions of a standard comic book happened in the middle of the BA.

UPCs were also added in the middle of the BA, about a year after the size change.

8 hours ago, Georgie123 said:

I personally think silver age ended when comics moved into the 15 cent period. All periods have a significant event that calls it an age I think the change in price warrents this.

Comics have changed prices far too often for that to define an age. Not to mention the stealth price increases from shrinking (in both dimensions and page count) comics.

8 hours ago, Georgie123 said:

Silver age began with the introduction of 12 cent comics given the exception of the 3 10 cent examples that were right before the transition

There are tons of 10c SA books. I don't know where you got the idea that the SA began with 12c prices.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:27 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

It would be convenient, however, the introduction of a vampire (or werewolf) or what have you, would not have happened without defiance of the Comics Code, and hence, makes a stronger argument for ASM 96.

That's why I agree with ASM 96 as the "correct" answer here.  Marvel saying "meh, we'll publish what we want, screw your code" with maybe their most popular title seems like a good watershed moment to move from the tights-wearing superhero types (as self-conflicted and woke to societal ills as the Silver Age made them) into the return of the monsters, and Luke Cage and Punisher and all that great Bronze Age stuff.

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

How about we split the difference?  Amazing Spider-Man 90, death of Captain Stacy: silver age story, or bronze?

Transitional. I don't think there's one book, but several books over time. 

3 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I always thought the 15 cent cover price was the slide over to Bronze. 

I used to be in that camp, especially in the 70s/80s but as time went by I moved to the start of the 20 cent era before settling on the 25 cent squarebound experiment.