• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Average Deduction to Grade for Uncertified Signature?

9 posts in this topic

Have a Strange Tales Annual 2 that is in decent enough shape to consider grading.  It has a Stan Lee signature on it.  I was wondering what deduction in grade it would possibly get hit with because of the auto.  Anyone have an idea on average what the grading ding is for uncertified sigs on a comic book cover?

On 2/5/2018 at 7:28 AM, Poe said:

Have a Strange Tales Annual 2 that is in decent enough shape to consider grading.  It has a Stan Lee signature on it.  I was wondering what deduction in grade it would possibly get hit with because of the auto.  Anyone have an idea on average what the grading ding is for uncertified sigs on a comic book cover?

I have a few books with signatures and I called to find out how signed books would grade because I have seen signed books on eBay as qualified and as universal. I was told the books would be graded qualified, I was hoping Blue with a note on the label. As for grade reduction that wasn't covered in the phone conversation. Any experiences by board members I would appreciate that knowledge as well.

Unverified sig is hard to peg an average grade deduct on.  

Did the signer press really hard and create indents?   On how many pages do the indents show up?   

Does the signature bleed thru any pages/cover?  

Is it a large sig or very small?  

All of those would impact the grade.  

I once had a turtles 1 that was signed on the first page.  It came back blue.  I also had a bone 1 signed on the cover.  it came back 9.4 qualified.  I think if it is signed on the cover it will be a qualified grade.  Interior signature can come back blue depending on the signature.

26 minutes ago, kagemusha7s said:

I once had a turtles 1 that was signed on the first page.  It came back blue.  I also had a bone 1 signed on the cover.  it came back 9.4 qualified.  I think if it is signed on the cover it will be a qualified grade.  Interior signature can come back blue depending on the signature.

Was there a note on the label describing the signature placement for either blue or qualified?

55 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Was there a note on the label describing the signature placement for either blue or qualified?

I do remember it was on the label for the turtles.  I don't think the Bone qualified had anything noted on the label.

On February 7, 2018 at 7:51 AM, chrisco37 said:

Unverified sig is hard to peg an average grade deduct on.  

Did the signer press really hard and create indents?   On how many pages do the indents show up?   

Does the signature bleed thru any pages/cover?  

Is it a large sig or very small?  

All of those would impact the grade.  

Are all these things factored in when they grade a sig series book as well? Does the witness make sure the signer does a proper job with an instrument that will not bleed through? (I'm really clueless: I am not a sig guy)