• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registry awards???

6 posts in this topic

I see these cute little ribbon looking awards on the sides of many collections. How does one achieve an award??

I have been building my Captain Marvel Adventures collection at a steady rate and am presently in 3rd place with 88 of 150 graded and 12,595 points awarded. I have 3 more CMA presently at CGC awaiting grading, once completed I will have 91 of 150 books. But even though I have moved up the ranks quickly, not once have I received any type of "reward", so I was wondering how one receives one of these??? By the way, of the 150 issues in the Captain Marvel Adventures run I actually have 147 of the issues including Special Edition Comics #1. I am only missing #1, #18 and #128 to have the entire run of the Big Red Cheese.

You own the highest percentage of comics in the registry, but grade matters. Most of your collection is lower grade.

If you want to compete with the big boys for the ribbon, you need higher grades/ more books.

At the moment, you are more than 20,000 points behind David Swan 1; He owns 39 % of the books compared to your 58 %.

However, his average grade is much higher than yours.

Grade matters here; a LOT.

6 hours ago, snakepittcomics said:

I see these cute little ribbon looking awards on the sides of many collections. How does one achieve an award??

I have been building my Captain Marvel Adventures collection at a steady rate and am presently in 3rd place with 88 of 150 graded and 12,595 points awarded. I have 3 more CMA presently at CGC awaiting grading, once completed I will have 91 of 150 books. But even though I have moved up the ranks quickly, not once have I received any type of "reward", so I was wondering how one receives one of these??? By the way, of the 150 issues in the Captain Marvel Adventures run I actually have 147 of the issues including Special Edition Comics #1. I am only missing #1, #18 and #128 to have the entire run of the Big Red Cheese.

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Very nice Cap Marvel set so far !! you have to be in first place to get the ribbon 

40 minutes ago, icefires said:

You own the highest percentage of comics in the registry, but grade matters. Most of your collection is lower grade.

If you want to compete with the big boys for the ribbon, you need higher grades/ more books.

At the moment, you are more than 20,000 points behind David Swan 1; He owns 39 % of the books compared to your 58 %.

However, his average grade is much higher than yours.

Grade matters here; a LOT.

I am by no means an expert on how the award winners are chosen.  I also don't add books to the registry in hopes of an award.  It is more of an inventory listing for me.  With all that said, I won the Best Set in Golden Age for 2017.  I am in second place well behind the first place holder who has a marvelous collection.  I do have; however, 100% of the books with pics added to each one for that set.  I have complete runs of America's Best Comics, Black Terror, Exciting Comics, Fighting Yank, Startling Comics (my last book now at CGC to have 100%), Thrilling Comics, and Wonder Comics.  All CGCed and added to the registry with pics.  

I thought there was a page that gave more detail on the factors in play on how award winners are chosen but I may be wrong.  I do think pics are important as well as owner's description but I did not add a description on a majority of mine.  I started when I first began adding to the registry but did not continue.  Grade and completeness do play a role of course which has been said.

Doubtful any of this helps or answers other than you can win if you are in first and you need not have the highest graded copies.  The best advice I can give is don't fret.  Collecting should be about you like confined by what you can afford and gaining enjoyment out of that.  Competing against someone's collection doesn't seem like the right reason to collect comics, in my very humble opinion.  I wish you the best of luck on building your collection and if your desire is to win an award, best of luck in that as well.

Take care.

38 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

its easy to get a ribbon by just picking an obscure set that has few if any comics registered

That is so true.  I collect obscure GA titles, many with less than 10 issues.  Many issues are tough to find but I like coolecting as a completionist.   You do get a certificate or you can save paper by choosing not to have a certificate printed and sent. 

The Best in Sets get you a plaque and a monetary credit for future submissions so it was nice to be chosen last year. The Thrilling set was the longest of those Nedor/Standard/Pines sets at 80.  Exciting and Startling were fairly long for GA titles.  I wonder if the length of the Thrilling was a factor.

1950's war comics is right as there are a lot of titles that could get you a certificate and first place ranking if one is focused on just that.