• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 vs. Fantastic Four #12
2 2

25 posts in this topic

I can get a GS X-Men #1 at around 5.0 for $600, and an FF #12 (vs. Hulk) for about the same at around a 4.0. Much lower supply on the FF #12, but I think the demand is higher with the GS X-Men, even though the supply is also higher (just like Hulk #181). It's almost a certainty that the X-Men are going to be rebooted by Marvel Studios, and that's only going to drive the first X-Men appearance up. But there's something about that FF 12 cover that's just - magnetic. Everybody seems to want it. So I can't decide which to save up for. Any other thoughts?

Don't mess around on GSX1, I did and regret it. Go for high grade slabbed time payments. Mine is a hundred dollar beater and I can't even look at it.

How many people even collect FF these days? There will never be a good FF movie or cartoon etc..... 

You will be able to get a nice copy raw no problem anytime.

So get both if those are the books you want. Sell some drek and mow some lawns.   $$$$

I completely agree with Alf.  Find a high grade GSX1, unless you’re a major FF fan.  The FF are sorely outdated.  Same with the original X-Men, Disney’s gonna go new school with the reboot.

14 hours ago, Ecranu said:

I completely agree with Alf.  Find a high grade GSX1, unless you’re a major FF fan.  The FF are sorely outdated.  Same with the original X-Men, Disney’s gonna go new school with the reboot.

what is high grade? And what happens if Disney makes a movie where the xmen fight FF fighting  the hulk ??  :ohnoez:

Edited by NoMan

17 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

Don't mess around on GSX1, I did and regret it. Go for high grade slabbed time payments. Mine is a hundred dollar beater and I can't even look at it.

How many people even collect FF these days? There will never be a good FF movie or cartoon etc..... 

You will be able to get a nice copy raw no problem anytime.

So get both if those are the books you want. Sell some drek and mow some lawns.   $$$$

Considering the cost of a higher grade GS X-Men #1, is there a good place that takes longer term payments (longer than three months like my local comic shop) that you would recommend?

22 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Considering the cost of a higher grade GS X-Men #1, is there a good place that takes longer term payments (longer than three months like my local comic shop) that you would recommend?

Most larger dealers will consider, Bob Storms (Highgradecomics) or Greg Reece.

When I got back into comics about 10 years ago I made a list of 10 books I wanted and went to LCSs looking for them and just figured they would fall into my lap no worries.

Many great books did, ASM 300 NM for a dollar, X-Men 101 VF for 16 bucks, Brave and Bold 54 (???) (Teen Titans) for 80 bucks but none of the big books did.

If I had manned up and went full CGC Boards dealer in high grade on the big 10 I would be :whee:

1 minute ago, Alf Pogs said:

Just checked some prices on that FF12, oh man way up there. Got the Hulk bump for sure. Is it a good story?

You can grab a real nice GSX1 for like 1800 bucks.

Again, what’s “real nice?”

5 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

Just checked some prices on that FF12, oh man way up there. Got the Hulk bump for sure. Is it a good story?

You can grab a real nice GSX1 for like 1800 bucks.

FF was Marvel's flagship title back in the day and Marvel liked to cross new characters into FF to give them exposure.  FF 12 was the sixth appearance of the Hulk and the first time FF and the Hulk met.  It's a great read and has a fabulous cover and pretty tough to find in high grade.  

59 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

9.2 or 9.4

the exact opposite of mine :bigsmile:

I bought a 9.2 OW/W GSX #1 at the Stan Le Con in 2016 for $1,500. Let me check GPA see how I'm doing :ohnoez: but I know how these things always go. Hold tight everybody….

Um, I guess I did ok. If I'm reading my GPA correct, talk about a book that hasn't moved in years  …...

Just take your time and save your money and buy a nice copy. GPA sales seems to be on your side. If that was what the OP was about. Forgot already...

Edited by NoMan

Which book do you like better?   Both are classics.  Both have always been on many collector want lists.  If resell is the endgame, I don't think you would have a hard time selling either of them.   

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Which book do you like better?   Both are classics.  Both have always been on many collector want lists.  If resell is the endgame, I don't think you would have a hard time selling either of them.   

That is it in a nutshell ....... both are keys and always will be. If the FF 12 has eye appeal and nice pages with no cover tanning, I'd likely go there, but it would have to be a pretty one.... the GSX I would want in a sharper grade, also a GREAT book ..... but I grew up with the FF. Hey, who buys Sub-mariner anymore, but look what those Marvel Mysteries go for. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Agreed that FF 12 is a great book, but FF 25, for me, is even more classic.

That said, GS XM 1 is far more significant to me.  One of my all-time great keys, for my all-time favourite team.

It's a nerd rather than speculator opinion, of course.

Like Dave / oakman, I have a brilliantly-presenting GS XM 1 9.0

Edited by Ken Aldred