• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Poor Man's Suspense 3

55 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks brother I have racked up a couple of his cool books now. I am actually curious about his collection why wasn’t it considered a pedigree of sorts? I don’t own any ped books so I can’t speak to much to them other than Strawman has Tons of them haha!! Do they all have to be original owner I am assuming. At least they deserve to be from the collection of though don’t they or I am way off base? I didn’t know the guy or his collecting habits other than he wrote for a fanzine and had a plethora of cool books that he liked to repair in his spare time ?

Peds need to be OO and high grade and contain significant books.  Collections seem to be reserved for non-OO books owned (mostly) by celebrities -- e.g., Nicholas Cage and Ruben Blades -- although, of course, Berk got the collection notation when his books were graded and sold.

Confusingly, the Don and Maggie books were a ped but were called the Don/Maggie Thompson Collection on the label.  Nearly all of their books were OO but they had some that they bought later.  Same thing with the Don Rosa Collection (which, imo, may be the least deserving ped designation).

It is cool, though, to have a bunch of books from the same source, like the Cookeville collection, even if CGC doesn't recognize the books as a ped. 

On 2/5/2018 at 9:58 PM, comicjack said:

I think the book stands on it's own and the demand is high because it still is undervalued and a killer cover(thumbsu

fy1_zps002db1d3.jpg.ab50d21738b338e438983d3951578ef5.jpg

Not if FY gets there in time, it's not. :)

On 2/5/2018 at 8:16 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks brother I have racked up a couple of his cool books now. I am actually curious about his collection why wasn’t it considered a pedigree of sorts? I don’t own any ped books so I can’t speak to much to them other than Strawman has Tons of them haha!! Do they all have to be original owner I am assuming. At least they deserve to be from the collection of though don’t they or I am way off base? I didn’t know the guy or his collecting habits other than he wrote for a fanzine and had a plethora of cool books that he liked to repair in his spare time ?

Looks like an incredible collection. I have stayed away from it due to the sketchy information given by the seller as to the resto.  Since they are such great books, seems like a lot of folks are willing to take chances. I know the Berk collection has eased the resto stigma some what but before I put out the big bucks for a book there, I want to know what's been done to it. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Peds need to be OO and high grade and contain significant books.  Collections seem to be reserved for non-OO books owned (mostly) by celebrities -- e.g., Nicholas Cage and Ruben Blades -- although, of course, Berk got the collection notation when his books were graded and sold.

Confusingly, the Don and Maggie books were a ped but were called the Don/Maggie Thompson Collection on the label.  Nearly all of their books were OO but they had some that they bought later.  Same thing with the Don Rosa Collection (which, imo, may be the least deserving ped designation).

It is cool, though, to have a bunch of books from the same source, like the Cookeville collection, even if CGC doesn't recognize the books as a ped. 

Agreed. Also, the Diamond Run from Vermont was originally designated as a pedigree on cgc labels. It was a large collection but I think a fair number of low grade issues were present  (I owned the tec 35 for a few years), and some of the books were not OO. Not certain if all those details are accurate but cgc eventually stopped referring to them as “Diamond Run” pedigree on their labels. 

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

3 hours ago, Primetime said:

Agreed. Also, the Diamond Run from Vermont was originally designated as a pedigree on cgc labels. It was a large collection but I think a fair number of low grade issues were present  (I owned the tec 35 for a few years), and some of the books were not OO. Not certain if all those details are accurate but cgc eventually stopped referring to them as “Diamond Run” pedigree on their labels. 

Thank you very much gentleman that is very informative and appreciated!!! 

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Looks like an incredible collection. I have stayed away from it due to the sketchy information given by the seller as to the resto.  Since they are such great books, seems like a lot of folks are willing to take chances. I know the Berk collection has eased the resto stigma some what but before I put out the big bucks for a book there, I want to know what's been done to it. 

Thanks RM!!! Actually Corey and I were just discussing this via PM. I had mentioned the books really aren’t exactly bringing the big bucks especially given how rare some of them are and I think that is because of the blanket resto statement. Take the Four Favorites 6 for example. Such a tough book with a Top Ace cover and brought only $440 which is only a fraction of what a blue label would bring. Just not specific enough in the listings I guess. I have been bidding on some of them but I bid as if they were amateur restored (bc I think they all have been to some degree) and then I don’t have to worry about getting burned later on. For some of them like the Champ 22 from his collection I am just happy to have a copy until/if I am ever able to upgrade and heck I may even hang onto these if i do upgrade as they are nice readers. 

48 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:
8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

4 hours ago, Primetime said:

Thank you very much gentleman that is very informative and appreciated!!! 

They also defrocked the Circle 8 and Mile High II books because they were warehouse finds rather than true OO collections.

56 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks RM!!! Actually Corey and I were just discussing this via PM. I had mentioned the books really aren’t exactly bringing the big bucks especially given how rare some of them are and I think that is because of the blanket resto statement. Take the Four Favorites 6 for example. Such a tough book with a Top Ace cover and brought only $440 which is only a fraction of what a blue label would bring. Just not specific enough in the listings I guess. I have been bidding on some of them but I bid as if they were amateur restored (bc I think they all have been to some degree) and then I don’t have to worry about getting burned later on. For some of them like the Champ 22 from his collection I am just happy to have a copy until/if I am ever able to upgrade and heck I may even hang onto these if i do upgrade as they are nice readers. 

About the only books I just don't buy are brittle, rat chewed and extensive old cello tape. Everything (even incomplete) are welcome for the right price. I will buy restored books on occasion if I know exactly what has been done and for the right price of course. These just seem a little suspect and vague for me. Almost like something is being covered up. If I could see them in person that might be a different story. Too bad really because there are some very rare books in this collection that if fairly described would do a lot better at auction.

I don't buy from ANYBODY on ebay who uses the term "I am not a professional grader" or has no description and just says to look at a couple crappy phone pictures. I was burned by a fairly well known dealer on the bay who uses terms like this and gave me a hard time on a return. 

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

About the only books I just don't buy are brittle, rat chewed and extensive old cello tape. Everything (even incomplete) are welcome for the right price. I will buy restored books on occasion if I know exactly what has been done and for the right price of course. These just seem a little suspect and vague for me. Almost like something is being covered up. If I could see them in person that might be a different story. Too bad really because there are some very rare books in this collection that if fairly described would do a lot better at auction.

I don't buy from ANYBODY on ebay who uses the term "I am not a professional grader" or has no description and just says to look at a couple crappy phone pictures. I was burned by a fairly well known dealer on the bay who uses terms like this and gave me a hard time on a return. 

If you think about it, who is a "professional grader"?  Maybe 10 to 15 people in the world make their living from grading.  So, yeah it's a huge cop out.  I'm ok with it though if they provide enough photos and they are explicit about ruling out resto -- particularly if they know the jargon (like referring to ct).

On 2/6/2018 at 11:46 AM, Junkdrawer said:

Terrific 5 is way up on the consideration list for me. 

Im in the club.

471BE2B3-DDFC-4D60-A73F-B9F7008AD417.jpeg

I was going to suggest this one.  It's one of my top ten favorite covers across all genres.  I'm actually trying to compile a collection of all scans of every issue in each grade.  So far I have 11 of the 31 copies listed on the census.  I wonder why the highest graded copy listed is a 8.5 when there's a 9.2 and/or a 9.4 Crowley/Church copy graded?

4 hours ago, GoldCap said:

I wonder why the highest graded copy listed is a 8.5 when there's a 9.2 and/or a 9.4 Crowley/Church copy graded?

The Church/Crowley was graded by the other guys.

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I once thought I owned Suspense 3. But it was a real Suspense 3 cover married to Suspense 2. I didn't find out until after I sold it. 

Its all about the cover art the insides stories are just okay