• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #73

41 posts in this topic

Yes a fantastic Joker cover! but current valuations indicate prices sold are all over the place.

A good example is the reported sale of the same book sold twice in 2017.

According to GPA the same Batman #73 CGC 6.5 sold for $1400.00 on March 5th 2017 and resold on Dec 6th 2017 for $5,600.00.

If the 2nd sale is validated as accurate, not a bad increase for a 9 month investment.

Any thoughts of what current market prices should bring on a Batman #73 graded CGC 6.0 to CGC 8.0?

45 minutes ago, Bat-Hound said:

Yes a fantastic Joker cover! but current valuations indicate prices sold are all over the place.

According to GPA the same Batman #73 CGC 6.5 sold for $1400.00 on March 5th 2017 and resold on Dec 6th 2017 for $5,600.00.

If the 2nd sale is validated as accurate, not a bad increase for a 9 month investment.

Any thoughts of what current market prices should bring on a Batman #73 graded CGC 6.0 to CGC 8.0?

No idea but I just got a copy locally from a seller for $180. Hope it continues to climb 

IMG_8754.JPG

44 minutes ago, Bat-Hound said:

I have trouble believing a copy sold for $5,600 for a 6.5 copy but given how crazy Joker covers have been going maybe it is real.  The $1400 seems more reasonable, maybe a bit low but I would think it would go for more than $2000.  

16 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I have trouble believing a copy sold for $5,600 for a 6.5 copy but given how crazy Joker covers have been going maybe it is real.  The $1400 seems more reasonable, maybe a bit low but I would think it would go for more than $2000.  

I guess the only way to find out is to put one of my two 6.5 copies on Ebay with BIN AT $5500.00 and see what happens?

38 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Definitely a more fearful situation, but would be fun to see lol.

I have a Batman 73 but  it''s only in about VG or VG- grade but it has a nice spine and great colors.  Would this be worth submitting to CGC and giving it to one of the comic book auction sites?  How much would it be worth?  I bought it about 11 years ago.  Of course, I could hang onto it, too.  And how much would  it fetch on the open market?  Is there a demand for lower grade Joker covers?

Thanks in advance

Steve

23 minutes ago, SLR5 said:

I have a Batman 73 but  it''s only in about VG or VG- grade but it has a nice spine and great colors.  Would this be worth submitting to CGC and giving it to one of the comic book auction sites?  How much would it be worth?  I bought it about 11 years ago.  Of course, I could hang onto it, too.  And how much would  it fetch on the open market?  Is there a demand for lower grade Joker covers?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Great question on lower grade copies. I have seen CGC 3.0 go for anywhere between $150 to high $600 so I guess it depends the quality of the book. Remember lower grade copies are not that scarce, only 6.0 and higher are less frequently for sale and scarcer.

8 hours ago, Bat-Hound said:

I guess the only way to find out is to put one of my two 6.5 copies on Ebay with BIN AT $5500.00 and see what happens?

It couldn't hurt. The one that sold for 5,600 was a Best Offer from a 6,500 BIN. But a 6.0 closed on eBay auction in late Dec for only 1,160.

Seems to me like the seller was in the right place at the right time.

48 minutes ago, jhm said:

It couldn't hurt. The one that sold for 5,600 was a Best Offer from a 6,500 BIN. But a 6.0 closed on eBay auction in late Dec for only 1,160.

Seems to me like the seller was in the right place at the right time.

Outlier sale? Maybe a shill sale? Maybe legit ?

10 hours ago, Bat-Hound said:

Great question on lower grade copies. I have seen CGC 3.0 go for anywhere between $150 to high $600 so I guess it depends the quality of the book. Remember lower grade copies are not that scarce, only 6.0 and higher are less frequently for sale and scarcer.

Thanks for the response.  I think I'll hold onto it.

47 minutes ago, N e r V said:

This copy just sold on eBay in December for $1160.00.

02F86591-8D13-46D5-B73B-416F1829F6B9.thumb.jpeg.282ec53cda4e9e9f060def70029fcd0e.jpeg

I’m thinking that’s a pretty big spike in a few months for any book. :eyeroll:

Light tan pages kept the price down. I know that’s why I didn’t even track it. 

14 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

True but I hardly think a book a half grade higher even if it had Snow White Pages is going to get a 4k premium. :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

True but I hardly think a book a half grade higher even if it had Snow White Pages is going to get a 4k premium. :eyeroll:

That’s what I said at the start of the thread I would think no more than $2k for the book but that is a guess. I do have skin in the game since I have 3 copies. One is a previous 7.5 copy that the previous owner cracked to have pressed and ended up damaging the spine so it got downgraded to a 4.0. 

42 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

That’s what I said at the start of the thread I would think no more than $2k for the book but that is a guess. I do have skin in the game since I have 3 copies. One is a previous 7.5 copy that the previous owner cracked to have pressed and ended up damaging the spine so it got downgraded to a 4.0. 

Tell them to use a presser with skills next time...ouch!

2A6F7C52-C72F-4707-9DD1-6E07D707BF0B.jpeg.eb292c5b2ebc2a8332162bfa96a0cac9.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

On 2/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, batman_fan said:

I was interested in this book as a second copy until I saw the PQ. Light tan definitely affected the price - that is at least two bidders that it chased away. I was willing to go to around $2k to get it since I love the cover.........and then I read the label. lol 

Edited by kimik