• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Byrne 1981

17 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

I think what is interesting about this image is that all the folks except Byrne are kids.  

Nowadays - its all grown ups visiting artists booths. Unless a kid is tagging along with the parents.

And that's why the art was so cheap, still sat anyway, almost nobody that was a fan (enough to stand in a line, hang out for a sketch, etc) walked away with published art. With adult fans came adult wallets ;)

Even all of us here: we're wistfully thinking, "man wish I had been there"...but with our adult minds and wallets lol. When you were that size (age) were you thinking..."time to corner the Byrne OA market?" No. And not me either. I was trying to complete my $1 (max I'd pay for something that at least still hung together with a cover on it) back issues run of Tales of Suspense with Kirby Cap in 'em :)

13 hours ago, Comixculture said:

...of when I got to meet Byrne in 1981. Fantastic Four 232 came out that week.

I credit Byrne's FF236 as the comic that got me collecting, the first one I cared about enough to remember the next week to read again and the next month to get the next issue. Previous to that, people gave me comics and I sort of flipped through them and went back to Etch-A-Sketch, Simon Says or whatever else I thought was waaaaay cooler lol. In the late 90s, Jim Warden still have a decent chunk of this book available. For okay prices too. Yes it had been picked but I passed on the opening splash for $200...the my perma-eternal regret. That right there is: the definition of dumb.

5 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

I think what is interesting about this image is that all the folks except Byrne are kids.  

Nowadays - its all grown ups visiting artists booths. Unless a kid is tagging along with the parents.

Ha! That’s true. And a kid took the photo. Kids really liked Byrne. 

1 hour ago, thethedew said:

Most Minneapolis conventions at that time were at the late, lamented Thunderbird Hotel.  :sigh::  Miss that crappy place.

Yes the Thunderbird! There was a con there during a huge snow storm and I remember Dennis Kitchen comes in wearing a large fur coat and this tall beautiful woman with him. As a 15 year old it was very impressive.