• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay: comicmylars???
3 3

54 posts in this topic

i'm sure some of you are very familiar with this seller on ebay. always has great key books, often several copies. also always priced really high over GPA and auction prices. i've never had a response to any message ever sent him/her about any book for sale and i've never seen one of their books actually sell. what's the deal? anyone here actually acquire one of his/ her books?

I have not but became aware of them looking for tmnt #1, I saw the price and clicked on their store....your right they do have a lot but haven't watched too long. I remember them having feedback though, so they must sell something ???

Kind of like the seller pristine comics...the key's that they have are mostly high grade etc. But they have a lot of drek as well and nearly everything is signed by Stan Lee...

That was a little off topic, but my point is maybe these seller's have a gimmickonline and have sales offline that support it?

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have not but became aware of them looking for tmnt #1, I saw the price and clicked on their store....your right they do have a lot but haven't watched too long. I remember them having feedback though, so they must sell something ???

I've bought one book from him on a (make on offer) long time ago. Paid more than I wanted to even after haggling to death! That was before discovering this site though. He had a book I was dying for in high grade that I couldn't find anywhere else. Had I known about this place I'd of attempted to communicate it to him under the radar. 

He was very responsive though. I don't think he'll respond unless you make a serious offer. Likely won't buy from him again unless I can get him away from eBay. His prices are absolutely absurd!

I would imagine their angle is to get a potential buyer to try and make the sale outside of ebay to avoid fees but if it sells through BIN they'd still make enough of a profit. I've seen sellers of all kinds of specialty items conduct business this way.

20 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Several past threads on this seller. Name is Charlie, out in the West Cast, legit seller, doesn't need money. Overprices his books and doesn't mind sitting on them forever. Most of his books are flips from long past eBay purchases.

Yeah I remember in one of my ebay exchanges with him he mentioned not caring about his books going unsold. I guess you can charge FU prices if you just don't give a bleep whether they sell or not.

8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Several past threads on this seller. Name is Charlie, out in the West Cast, legit seller, doesn't need money. Overprices his books and doesn't mind sitting on them forever. Most of his books are flips from long past eBay purchases.

This seems to be the majority of ebay now, especially with fixed price listings.  They just hope for that one desperate buyer who will pay it otherwise they can't be bothered to negotiate for GPA.  I see listings in my weekly searches that have remained unchanged for YEARS.  

He'll bend a little bit but not by much, if you do enough research, you'll see the same book that sold on HA which he is trying to flip on ebay. If the book gets hot, he'll raise the price when it's already well above GPA to begin with, When I sell, I try and sell around GPA price, but of course I still get low ball offers like this one I got the other day.... Who wanted a NM 87 CGC 9.6, Savage She-Hulk 1 CGC 9.6 and a NYX 5 CGC 9.4. What makes people think they will get this kind of deal???  Hoping for a desperate seller who needs quick money?  

I'm interested in buying all 3 of these if you can let them go for $314.95 ($300 + $14.95 shipping).

44 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

This seems to be the majority of ebay now, especially with fixed price listings.  They just hope for that one desperate buyer who will pay it otherwise they can't be bothered to negotiate for GPA.  I see listings in my weekly searches that have remained unchanged for YEARS.  

I do just about 100% buy it now listings but I think I price stuff reasonably. Seller almost always gets screwed on auctions these days. 

Define screwed?  If a book is not in high demand then sure it might not always get the exact same sale price.  There are weird situatioms where books like secret wars #8 alien costume that sells for almost $100 every time in 9.6 regardless of how you sell it. 

The variance in price will always come down to supply and demand. Low demand will bring more variance.  Higher supply also brings more variance.  Some people think pricing 10% above gpa is reasonable.  Others think 30% above gpa is reasonable.  I'm the type that doesn't overpay for a book if there is no reason to.  Low supply is a valid reason to pay more for me.  Everyone has a different pain tolerance.

I’ve tried to deal with him many many times but I haven’t bought anything from him.

His prices are too high for my blood but he does have some great books.

Always replies to my offers but doesn’t really budge on price.

Side Note: Dealing with him has taught me the ever important lesson of patience and don’t impulse buy.

In any case he seems like a stand up guy (Timely replies and solid feedback).

.02 in the bucket...

2 hours ago, TheBook said:

I’ve tried to deal with him many many times but I haven’t bought anything from him.

His prices are too high for my blood but he does have some great books.

Always replies to my offers but doesn’t really budge on price.

Side Note: Dealing with him has taught me the ever important lesson of patience and don’t impulse buy.

In any case he seems like a stand up guy (Timely replies and solid feedback).

.02 in the bucket...

He has like 3 copies of ASM #1 (GRR) CGC in high grade. There's only 16 in the census. How the hell does that happen?

On 2/6/2018 at 12:29 PM, woowoo said:

I wanted his Superman 1 in 1999 at Wonder-con Wanted 25 k I offered 20 he said no. I see he still has the book but the price is :makepoint:  

Curious... Do you regret not paying the 25? 

I watched lots of his auctions when I was hot and bothered about Avengers #1.  My impression is that he puts his books 20% above market and waits out longer upward trends. And he hasn't been all that wrong. 

28 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Curious... Do you regret not paying the 25? 

I watched lots of his auctions when I was hot and bothered about Avengers #1.  My impression is that he puts his books 20% above market and waits out longer upward trends. And he hasn't been all that wrong. 

19 years later Yes :tonofbricks:

On 2/10/2018 at 1:32 PM, GM8 said:

Looking at his inventory and past sales this guy must have a warehouse and own a bank.  He does incredible business.  Must be doing something right!

His final value fees are no doubt through the roof and once PayPal takes their cut of course it isn't that much.

Sell a $100 book and by the time all is said and done you walk away with $75-$80

He's an extremely unethical seller that I wouldn't recommend anyone do business with unless they are willing to be taken completely advantage of. Wait for the market to squeeze people like him and buy his books at a discount.

I made an offer on one of his listing and he responded by raising the price by over $500. Wasn't a "nice guy" at all when I emailed him to ask why he did it. Extremely condescending and dismissive. He has some great stuff, but he's very shifty and should only be bargained with once he feels the pinch of the economy dropping. Hold out on doing business with him.