• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone please explain this CGC grade?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I loved that movie as a kid.

Brilliant wasn't it. The two leads both wanted top billing as I recall. To placate them, on the poster one name was first, the other higher :cloud9:

poster-flammendes-inferno-steve-mcqueen-paul-newman-william-holden-faye-dunaway-338863.jpg.c10b241d9569bd8d8622d25d5aecbe58.jpg

55 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Holy crow, that's a heck of a lineup. Might need to keep an eye out for that one.

I think that was a problem with this movie, and others from the period.  So many stars, all needing screen time.  You end up with too many plot digressions that do nothing for the story.

The real attraction was the fire, which was well beyond state of the art.

Edited by shadroch

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I think that was a problem with this movie, and others from the period.  So many stars, all needing screen time.  You end up with too many plot digressions that do nothing for the story.

The real attraction was the fire, which was well beyond state of the art.

Balderdash! :sumo:

I saw this in a Naval hospital theatre.  Crowd was mostly enlisted guys, many recovering from wounds in SE Asia. 

For some reason, people applauded the first time Newman, McQueen and a few others appeared. Place went nuts when OJ first popped up. 

On 2/6/2018 at 3:10 AM, jason4 said:

That should be restored no? Unless they took off massive points for it ?

I thought trimming in and of itself is NOT considered to be restoration by CGC.  Especailly since it is not listed as one of the restoration activities in their Restoration Grading Scale on their website:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4084

I believe CGC views trimming more akin to "destruction" of a book and hence, will downgrade accordingly (i.e. very severly) for it, although it will still be denoted as such on the blue label.  Of course, if the trimming was done in conjunction with other restoration activities which is generally the case, the book would then receive a purple label.

Well, at least that's my understanding of the situation with respect to standalone trimming.  (shrug)

Were There restored books in the early years of cgc that had trimming in the grader notes, but not listed on the label? 

I’ve found this in a couple of restored label books...  just wondering if there was an early philosophy from cgc to not list the trimming.   

To the best of my knowledge, trimmed books should always receive a purple label and should always have it noted on the label. This would be far from the first time there's been a mistake on the label though the first time I've seen a trimmed book with a blue label.

It has a purple label..  just doesn’t notate the trimming in the label..  the graders notes list it as trimmed though. I asked the cgc staff yesterday at the SC Comicon and they thought that perhaps in the early days of cgc This may not get listed on the label. 

On 2/7/2018 at 4:23 PM, shadroch said:

I saw this in a Naval hospital theatre.  Crowd was mostly enlisted guys, many recovering from wounds in SE Asia. 

For some reason, people applauded the first time Newman, McQueen and a few others appeared. Place went nuts when OJ first popped up. 

My folks took me to see this at the drive-in.  i wasn't quite four years old and I think i remember falling asleep before it ended.  Pretty sure i had nightmares afterward. Probably not the best idea my parents ever had

On 2/6/2018 at 5:26 PM, october said:

Trimmed books don't go in blue labels as far as I know. Like someone else said I think it's a quality control error. Call cgc and they will probably buy the book or talk to the owner to have it resubmitted.

I've had two books in purple labels, whose only "work" were trimmed covers.