• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy To Be A Comic Collector

9 posts in this topic

Collecting is like owning a time machine.  Some books bring you back to a pleasant moment in the past, and after what seems like twenty minutes ends up being four hours in real time.

Planning on sticking around for awhile, Jim? The place could use you.

In spite of how snarky it seems that this board can get, there are genuinely good people here, who love the hobby.  I personally find that old comics transport me back to being a kid.  There are 5 comics that immediately take me back to the 1970's.   I own them all again, but I think someday I will try to get them all in a CGC 9.8.  Nothing Earth shattering, will not cost much, but all Marvels, and the sentimental value is the real value.   This is one of them, and started my love for Kirby:  

cap191.JPG

Comics are your time machine to your past i and a great part of childhood for me.I have been lucky to have collected when prices were not crazy and to own some wonderful books.It has been a great ride and always come

across a cover i have never seen before after all this time.The world doesn't look at comic collectors like they use to,i think we were just ahead of the curve and a part of a bigger universe .It has been all fun :headbang:

Edited by comicjack

15 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

In spite of how snarky it seems that this board can get, there are genuinely good people here, who love the hobby.  I personally find that old comics transport me back to being a kid.  There are 5 comics that immediately take me back to the 1970's.   I own them all again, but I think someday I will try to get them all in a CGC 9.8.  Nothing Earth shattering, will not cost much, but all Marvels, and the sentimental value is the real value.   This is one of them, and started my love for Kirby:  

cap191.JPG

I've recently been re-reading Captain America and, on the way, the entire 70s Kirby run, after he returned to Marvel. There's a lot of dross to wade through before that, and the run is actually one of the highlights of the title; extremely inventive and entertaining.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Anything that reminds you of Nik is worth it's weight in gold. I wasn't super close to him, we chatted, met up a few times at conventions. But he was by FAR one of the best forum members we ever had, and one of the best friends a lot of these guys could have asked for. That being said, there are ups and downs here and guys like you are what make the hobby fun.