• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Hush Covers - The Poll
2 2

What are your favorite covers from the Batman "Hush" storyline? YOU MAY CHOOSE UP TO FIVE  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite covers from the Batman "Hush" storyline? YOU MAY CHOOSE UP TO FIVE

• 608 1st print (flying/boot)
    • 608 2nd print (standing/skyline)
    • 608 RRP variant (Bats/Hush)
    • 619 1st print (heroes)
    • 619 2nd print (chessboard)

67 posts in this topic

My picks: 609 (Ivy and Catwoman), 613 (Harley), 617 (gravesite) -- The detail in these three in particular is stunning.

Some of the others have great wall appeal but may be too generic for me (if I am being picky). But I have to pick a hero shot, I am going with 619, 'cause Oracle. And blimps.

However, the real test is seeing them in B&W!

Edited by BCarter27

17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Given the disagreement regarding the quality/ranking of the Batman #618 cover coming up for auction, I thought it would be fun to do a poll where people can vote for their favorite covers from the Batman "Hush" storyline by Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee & Scott Williams that appeared in Batman #608-619!  

I have deliberately excluded the two multi-board gatefold covers to #619, but am including the RRP variant to #608 and the second printing covers to #608 and #619.

Anyway, to get a sense of what people's favorite covers are outside of the obvious choices, you may choose up to 5 picks in the poll above.  I see that the new Boards' polling system is a piece of # $^& and that you can no longer limit the number of picks that people can choose, so, please be on the honor system and limit your votes to FIVE.

Images of each of the covers in the poll to follow.

I think the disagreement/ranking of Batman 618 is kind of silly.

Hush is not like say, Watchmen/DK covers, where the majority of them are C-/D+ images.

Every one of the Hush covers is pretty strong in terms of composition/content/execution. Even the worst is what, a B+? I'd expect any of them to command a lot of interest in the bidding.

P.S.

Thanks for the poll, Gene, These are cool.

Edited by J.Sid

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Having said that, it's exactly the type of cover that modern comic readers (and art collectors) seem to covet--a representational one and done presentation of the character regardless of story content.

Which makes me kinda sad. I used to search the insides of comics for the scenes that inspired the covers. Of course, that was long before I had a clue that such a link might not exist.

I always liked 608 and 612 the best.

While I'm from the "old guard," I guess, I always did like Jim Lee, although I don't have any nostalgic connection to him whatsoever.  I remember when Hush was coming out - it was the must read run of the day - telling someone that particular run would mean to kids what Byrne's X-Men/Miller DD meant to me at that age.  I'm sure that's the case, some 15 years later: kids reading that series at 12 or 13 would be in their late 20s now.  

I know we're not supposed to speculate on value, but I feel like those are the covers that will at the top of the heap when the 20 somethings of today hit my age and have real money to pour into the hobby.  

Flying Boot is clearly the standout and it's not even close. All very nice Jim Lee covers, but that's the only one that has a shot at being an all-timer. IMO, of course.

I remember hearing second-hand the price it took to pry it loose all those years ago. If accurate, it was a staggering amount, especially for the time. Even more especially  for a modern/new piece. However much Scott may have been attached to the art, it was certainly understandable why he would sell it. Belated congrats to Scott!

Edited by Nexus

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

Got to be honest with you, I couldn't find 5 I liked, heck I couldn't find 2 I liked.  I only like 610, the rest not so much. Proportions are just too out of whack for me.

Mmm-hmm. I didn't even vote because I didn't want to artificially skew the results when I'm not the target demographic for the poll. Obviously :devil:

56 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Coincidentally, that was the first time I ever sold something in my keeper collection (over 10 years ago).  Some people might be willing to stick to their guns and say a given piece is not for sale at any price, but that was the first time I realized EVERYTHING in my collection is for sale...given a high enough price!  It was a revelation to me! lol I really love this stuff and never thought of myself as a seller, but that Batman 608 sale forced me to see things a little differently.  It's like I lost my innocence or something. :sorry:

:whatthe:

This sounds like a story that may involve a contemptuously tossed wad of sweaty money and one innocent art collector's coming of age.

57 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Coincidentally, that was the first time I ever sold something in my keeper collection (over 10 years ago).  Some people might be willing to stick to their guns and say a given piece is not for sale at any price, but that was the first time I realized EVERYTHING in my collection is for sale...given a high enough price!  It was a revelation to me! lol I really love this stuff and never thought of myself as a seller, but that Batman 608 sale forced me to see things a little differently.  It's like I lost my innocence or something. :sorry:

Yes you did lose your innocence. That's why some collectors don't show publicly (or even discuss) the stuff they never want to sell (true keepers), that way the eye-popping offers are never made. Of course when you're the source...that's a little harder to avoid ;) 

I love Jim Lee art but the problem is that, (along with other artists of today)  most of his covers all have similar designs we've seen way too many times. All these character standing on a rooftop with their chests puffed out in the dark to do what exactly?  Or the covers where you see some characters with a 100 other things around them in the faded in background with giant faces. And of course, flying through a city in a pose no one could get into.   BTW, 612 is the best cover of the Hush storyline.  Everything else is pretty boring and over done.  

Well Comiclink auction has started and the Hush cover is already at $25,250. Given the poll and how low this covered scored, is this a case of people putting in their max price now and just letting it ride, or is this a $35k + piece?

2 hours ago, John S. said:

Well Comiclink auction has started and the Hush cover is already at $25,250. Given the poll and how low this covered scored, is this a case of people putting in their max price now and just letting it ride, or is this a $35k + piece?

I think almost everyone (including myself) thinks this is a $35K+ piece, and so have been thrill-bidding without hesitation up to present levels. :banana: