• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your Favorite Golden Age Character- and Why?
3 3

88 posts in this topic

I also have to throw in one more. Now this a weird one and probably won't make any sense to most of you. He has had an on going magazine for over 50 years but has never uttered anything but three words. He has never had a story that featured him or an on going strip. But his face is iconic and almost as well known or in most cases more well known all over the world than most super heroes.

I present him because, although I read and enjoyed comic books from a very young age, first time I saw him and bought my first issue, I was hooked for life. His face launched to being the hopeless collecting junkie I am today.

download.jpg

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I also have to throw in one more. Now this a weird one and probably won't make any sense to most of you. He has had an on going magazine for over 50 years but has never uttered anything but three words. He has never had a story that featured him or an on going strip. But his face is iconic and almost as well known or in most cases more well known all over the world than most super heroes.

I present him because, although I read and enjoyed comic books from a very young age, first time I saw him and bought my first issue, I was hooked for life. His face launched to being the hopeless collecting junkie I am today.

download.jpg

I hate to admit this but good ol' Alfred E. Newman was my nightmare clown as young 'un.  He scared the carp out of me - I imagine if I had a doll of him, he'd be hiding under my bed with a cleaver or butcher knife.  He still gives me the creeps.  :p

14 minutes ago, telerites said:

I hate to admit this but good ol' Alfred E. Newman was my nightmare clown as young 'un.  He scared the carp out of me - I imagine if I had a doll of him, he'd be hiding under my bed with a cleaver or butcher knife.  He still gives me the creeps.  :p

That little monster is NEUMAN... 

I like the Blue Beetle, although I prefer the SA Ted Kord version from Ditko who simply was a more nuanced, interesting character than Dan Garrett.  I like that he survived to the present day and he's still a relevant hero somewhere on the periphery of the League (a bit like Booster Gold his buddy).   I like that he's a bit overlooked overall and yet how many superheroes that were introduced in the late 1930's still are active in comics today?  Not many.   He gets no respect.  I started gobbling the books up in a number of years ago and along the way they started getting expensive so I slowed my roll a bit.  I hoarded BB1 in particular.

Since for me Disney characters are "on a league of their own" as their classic stories are true landmarks of the comic art in general (not just comic books), it’s not easy, as my knowledge (and especially readng) of the GA is still limited.
I should go with a Timely character, but I have read just a few of the original stories – and I could probably vote retroactively based on how they unfolded in the Marvel age.
So… it might be Uncle Sam. Yes, I am italian and I love Uncle Sam: it epitomizes "America" as in "United States of". :)

As far as Disney goes I can’t vote… I like almost all of them. I have a particular soft spot for classic Mickey Mouse (which was wonderfully developed by our school of authors after the Gottfredson classics) but one can’t forget Scrooge… or Donald. Or Huey Dewey and Louie… or Goofy. Well, I can‘t decide! :D

20 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

My favorite character in comics is....

Uncle Scrooge McDuck!!

I don't think there has been a character, for me, in the golden age/ atomic age of comics that I have enjoyed more and that has been as well developed over time as this character. I love the stories from Barks and I might even like where Rosa took him more in recent years.

IMG_8259.JPG

If I had gone with humor I would have picked Donald Duck by Barks.

Scrooge is a part of the whole ducks/Barks mythology so that’s a great choice you can’t beat too. 

7 hours ago, vaillant said:

As far as Disney goes I can’t vote… I like almost all of them. I have a particular soft spot for classic Mickey Mouse (which was wonderfully developed by our school of authors after the Gottfredson classics) but one can’t forget Scrooge… or Donald. Or Huey Dewey and Louie…  :D

Uncle Scrooge (Barks) with Donald Duck, and HDL. Classics such as 'Mines of King Solomon' taught kids about the Minotaur, 'Fabulous Philosopher's Stone' (more desert adventures), and I learned what a solar eclipse was:

8owV1jx.jpg

Technically, these are characters in comics but my love for them is in strip form more than their comic book appearances. 

These two guys would tie for my runners-up. It’s kind of odd for someone who is kind of known for the love of salacious books that my favorites are Disney and Peanuts (shrug)

E086CBEB-8C02-436E-B023-E56FDD7629C2.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Technically, these are characters in comics but my love for them is in strip form more than their comic book appearances. 

These two guys would tie for my runners-up. It’s kind of odd for someone who is kind of known for the love of salacious books that my favorites are Disney and Peanuts (shrug)

E086CBEB-8C02-436E-B023-E56FDD7629C2.jpeg

Well we could merge your 2 loves...

2EB0645F-A2E4-4B8D-A0BF-9BDB720514FA.jpeg.764d2d92faa457eed271874c014d110b.jpeg0C429214-8282-4E65-98B1-1BAC4EE95741.jpeg.e6b6684c785065eac5f8c50b15d28655.jpeg

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

That's a tough one for me but after a little thought I guess it would be Batman.  I always loved Batman because he didn't have any special powers.  He did it all by hard work which meant anyone could be Batman if they worked hard enough.

batman1.jpg

Your choice is shocking. lol 

I guess your username and avatar should have given everyone a hint... :baiting:

17 hours ago, N e r V said:

If I had gone with humor I would have picked Donald Duck by Barks.

Scrooge is a part of the whole ducks/Barks mythology so that’s a great choice you can’t beat too. 

But Disney comics are not just humor… They are humor, but not only that. A lot more.

On 2018-02-08 at 4:38 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Who is your favorite character? 

Well, it's Dimwitri, the Pie-face Prince of Old Pretzelburg.

5a7decf3493f2_GeorgeCarlsonPieFacePrince03cabbaget1.jpg.a4e5617a7ff6984369637c7024bcc9a4.jpg

The very first golden age comic I ever bought was a Jingle Jangle - I'd been enthralled by Harlan Ellison's tribute to Carlson and the Pie-face Prince in All in Color for a Dime, and reading his surreal adventures in an otherwise innocuous 1940's children's comic was a really memorable trip down the rabbit hole.

As a runner-up, I'll mention Angel.  No, not this one...

Thomas_Halloway_(Earth-616).png.c6449420695c232c37ecb00600f30b4e.png

but this one:

iu.jpeg.71dc98e26e44356603d49b1a0bd292e4.jpeg

Simon and Kirby's Boys Ranch was a beautifully-executed, if short-lived, comic book, and Angel, the kid sharpshooter with long blond hair and a chip on his shoulder, was a fascinating and mature creation for a 1950's kid's western comic. Check out the story "Mother Delilah" in Boys Ranch 3 for Angel's most powerful tale.

37 minutes ago, vaillant said:

But Disney comics are not just humor… They are humor, but not only that. A lot more.

True. For me it’s Barks Disney in the 40’s and 50’s and Kurtzman’s Mad for satire in the 50’s and Archie’s from around the mid 50’s thru the mid 70’s.

I could read most of those endlessly.

Peanuts though I consider a strip mostly is good from beginning until the 1970’s or so as well.

Edited by N e r V