• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age Key Monopoly Game
3 3

43 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

Well, there's no Daredevil #1 either. Only room for so many squares for the high-grade comics.

Sure - but DD1 is in no way comparable to the impact of X-Men 1 IMO.  Plus its not like they chose to skip recognizing the X-Men like they did DD, they just chose to skip X-Men 1 which is weird.  Plus, if you are going to do, bronze age books - how does Hulk 181 not make it on but Wolverine LS #1 does?  Just odd choices IMO.  Still pretty cool and fun though.

On 2/14/2018 at 2:18 PM, Chillax23 said:

Sure - but DD1 is in no way comparable to the impact of X-Men 1 IMO.  Plus its not like they chose to skip recognizing the X-Men like they did DD, they just chose to skip X-Men 1 which is weird.  Plus, if you are going to do, bronze age books - how does Hulk 181 not make it on but Wolverine LS #1 does?  Just odd choices IMO.  Still pretty cool and fun though.

It must have been put together as a marketing gimmick and not a history lesson. Seems like the point of the design was to show the high value old books along with some others they were promoting or that were currently in vogue-- which would explain the lack of original Xmen and the appearance of the newer crew from GSXM1. That said--- I was sort of surprised that they had those GA books on there.

What would be cool is making the game adaptable so that you could choose the books assigned to each property yourself. Maybe have a method to print off your own covers to slot in or a wide array of ones you could swap out. If there is a digital version of the game-- this would be much easier to create.

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

It must have been put together as a marketing gimmick and not a history lesson. Seems like the point of the design was to show the high value old books along with some others they were promoting or that were currently in vogue-- which would explain the lack of original Xmen and the appearance of the newer crew from GSXM1. That said--- I was sort of surprised that they had those GA books on there.

What would be cool is making the game adaptable so that you could choose the books assigned to each property yourself. Maybe have a method to print off your own covers to slot in or a wide array of ones you could swap out. If there is a digital version of the game-- this would be much easier to create.

I actually think having the GA comics for the top two properties is a touch of brilliance.

I would, however, have started the selections with titles like Marvel Premiere #1 and Marvel Spotlight #15, which based on a tier system would have allowed for IH #181 and the eventual X-Men #1.

anyone who picks Thor's hammer loses instantly as they cannot pick it up to move on the board.

is that list just for fun or does someone know what the actual player pieces are? Maybe they stuck with the traditional (sort of a missed opportunity if they did, but a lot less expensive from a production standpoint).

Instead of the little dog -- use Lockjaw

other items based on traditional pieces but with Marvel connections. (Thor's Hammer = iron; Infinity gauntlet = thimble; wheelbarrow, race car, top hat etc)

Edited by 01TheDude

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." In other words, the player who gets to use the hammer is worthy and can pick it up.

Now some suggestions for DC player's pieces:

- Dr. Fate's Helmet 

- Batmobile

- Fortress of Solitude key

- Wonder Women's Tiara

- Joker's cane

- Green Lantern's ring

- Flash's ring

On February 17, 2018 at 10:41 PM, 01TheDude said:

anyone who picks Thor's hammer loses instantly as they cannot pick it up to move on the board.

is that list just for fun or does someone know what the actual player pieces are? Maybe they stuck with the traditional (sort of a missed opportunity if they did, but a lot less expensive from a production standpoint).

Instead of the little dog -- use Lockjaw

other items based on traditional pieces but with Marvel connections. (Thor's Hammer = iron; Infinity gauntlet = thimble; wheelbarrow, race car, top hat etc)

I can't recall but can pull the game out and shoot the player pieces tonight after the kids go to bed.

Okay, here's a bit of a tour of the Marvel Monopoly game. Looks like it was released in 1999.

Here's the eight tokens: Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, Wolverine, Hulk, Thor, Storm, Invisible Woman.

Also, there's four additional villain tokens that I never opened: Dr Doom, Magneto, Green Goblin and the Leader.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 2/16/2018 at 12:40 AM, 01TheDude said:

I think if you look carefully you'll see that the books get progressively older as you work your way around the board.  They put the two major Golden Age keys at the very end, and I think they chose well for the top three Silver Age keys (AF 15, FF 1, Hulk 1).  Before that you get JIM 83, TOS 39, and Avengers 1 -- a really solid Avengers set that makes sense together.  There's a good case to be made to replace Avengers 1 with X-Men 1, as the latter is a much more significant key ... but I imagine they'd committed to having G-S X-Men 1 in the group right before that and didn't want to put two X-Men keys right next to each other.

Here's where the domino effect kicks in, because they could have had X-Men 1 instead of Avengers 1 and also Hulk 181 (another major omission) instead of G-S X-Men 1.  But again, I guess they must have liked having Wolverine 1 as a Copper Age key and figured the casual buyer might be confused seeing Wolverine on a Hulk cover.

I'm probably overthinking this a bit, but to me it's clear they thought about this a fair amount and there was a method to their madness.