• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Facebookin’
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Just wondering thoughts on the high volume of Facebook auctions out there. A lot of books go over value, especially low grade silver Spideys and of course hot books. I’ve had some good success with a lot I sold a month ago. No fees, PayPal F&F only and easier than eBay

Also a great way to sell slabs using raffles (waffles) Generally people sell their “tickets” and raffle off full GPA plus 20% on top. 

For the anti-Facebookers out there  you may be missing out. 

I use them just as another option to ebay, cl, etc. Just like any other, you still have to sift through legit buyers and a-holes but I have to say I've had the least complications selling on fb. Auctions can be iffy as sellers can have people they know or multiple accounts drive up the price if they know there's enough interest but if you're comfortable paying a price for something, so be it.

11 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Just wondering thoughts on the high volume of Facebook auctions out there. A lot of books go over value, especially low grade silver Spideys and of course hot books. I’ve had some good success with a lot I sold a month ago. No fees, PayPal F&F only and easier than eBay. 

Also a great way to sell slabs using raffles (waffles) Generally people sell their “tickets” and raffle off full GPA plus 20% on top. 

For the anti-Facebookers out there  you may be missing out. 

Being bored on day I joined a comic book collecting/selling Facebook group. I lasted about 20 minutes before leaving. 

It was impossible to endure. I don’t care if they were giving away free xmen 94s all day everyday. 

22 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Being bored on day I joined a comic book collecting/selling Facebook group. I lasted about 20 minutes before leaving. 

It was impossible to endure. I don’t care if they were giving away free xmen 94s all day everyday. 

Obviously not all groups are the same, and it’s pretty easy to set your notifications to weed out the nonsense. It is what you make it. I prefer the Canada only groups for shipping ease and local pickup. I had a small pile of ASM late silver priced at 120.00, ending up selling for 190.00, I’ll take that

I joined a few groups but all the books are either way overpriced, or at most auctions they are bid up to be way overvalued. There are tons of posts of non paying bidders/buyers. Far more than what I've ever seen on the forums here... which is strange because you're actually tied to your name and face on facebook. Makes me appreciate these forums even more.  Also, facebook forbids raffles so the sellers call them "Waffles" to try to get around that rule.  And asking for people to send payment via F&F paypal is pretty common, leading to many more instances of fraud since average people don't know better. 

I'll add one more comment on this:  the ONE time I attempted to buy a book via facebook the seller ignored my claiming the book on their thread, and I wake up the next morning to find the price raised. Seller never contacted me to discuss, and then acted like it was my fault for agreeing to purchase the book at the listed price.

It was a $20 book that was raised to $30 hours after I claimed it.

1 hour ago, Rhymenoceros said:

I joined a few groups but all the books are either way overpriced, or at most auctions they are bid up to be way overvalued. There are tons of posts of non paying bidders/buyers. Far more than what I've ever seen on the forums here... which is strange because you're actually tied to your name and face on facebook. Makes me appreciate these forums even more.  Also, facebook forbids raffles so the sellers call them "Waffles" to try to get around that rule.  And asking for people to send payment via F&F paypal is pretty common, leading to many more instances of fraud since average people don't know better. 

You’re not really tied to your name or face considering you can make up a name and add whatever profile pic you want. 

That being said I sold over 800 worth of books last month (using my real name) for some vacay money and only 2 buyers failed to pay. In the end no biggie as there are no fees to worry about. It’s best to look for sellers with good reps, there’s bad actors everywhere, even this place has a hall of shame for a reason. 

I've tried most of the Facebook options and they all have issues one way or another.  Bought a couple nice deals early on but my last couple attempts have fallen thru since the sellers end up disappearing after I said I would take the book. 

Selling is tough since I kept getting trade request that were bothersome and dealing with facebook buyers is a pain to say the least.

I personally love the RADS, Waffles or what ever cute name people think up to get around doing a raffle for high price books.  Unfortunately there is way more rafflers then people who want to buy spots so it becomes a full time job getting your raffles filled.  I also don't have much will power when it comes to gambling and all my profits went back into trying to win books and I don't have that temptation on here or on e-bay.

I've bought and sold on FB groups before (been awhile though).   Didn't have any issues, but it was a very small sample size (probably 5 total transactions).  I did get my Harley 1 (AH cover) from there.  

47 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I've tried most of the Facebook options and they all have issues one way or another.  Bought a couple nice deals early on but my last couple attempts have fallen thru since the sellers end up disappearing after I said I would take the book. 

Selling is tough since I kept getting trade request that were bothersome and dealing with facebook buyers is a pain to say the least.

I personally love the RADS, Waffles or what ever cute name people think up to get around doing a raffle for high price books.  Unfortunately there is way more rafflers then people who want to buy spots so it becomes a full time job getting your raffles filled.  I also don't have much will power when it comes to gambling and all my profits went back into trying to win books and I don't have that temptation on here or on e-bay.

A friend of mine has won 2 Avengers 1’s, Strange Tales 89 and a Spidey 129. Gamblers don’t talk about their losses though

1 minute ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

A friend of mine has won 2 Avengers 1’s, Strange Tales 89 and a Spidey 129. Gamblers don’t talk about their losses though

Is your friend a Jasso?

I fell into that trap.  I won a few pretty nice books like Iron Fist 14 CGC 9.6 and Daredevil 168 CGC 9.6 but never could win a big book so even though I was buying 1 or 2 spots a handfull times a day my losses over a week where huge.  I made up for it by raffling off a ton of books at GPA (I'd gotten them for 20% under so I was still making good money) but it was all just a big waste of time.  Much happier to not have to worry about filling raffles, running the raffle correctly and making sure everyone sent me the correct amount.  E-Bay and selling here is so much easier.

Edited by 1Cool

So are you all just selling in specific groups, or using the FB marketplace too? I am normally inclined to stay away from FB, but with the eBay/Paypal uncertainty of the future (will fees go up again?) I'm always curious about other options.

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

So are you all just selling in specific groups, or using the FB marketplace too? I am normally inclined to stay away from FB, but with the eBay/Paypal uncertainty of the future (will fees go up again?) I'm always curious about other options.

The selling/buying I've done was all thru a group:  Comic Book Collecting Buy Sell Trade. 

I'm a big fan of selling on Facebook. I usually have 750 or so books for sale at any given time and I can just copy and paste a spreadsheet listing the book, grade, and price into the group and people can pick what they'd like to buy. I make a lot of sales with people who want between 10 and 50 books, all different titles and ages. Bulk sales are way better using this method than, for example, listing Iron Man 100-150 as a run in one listing on eBay

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Is your friend a Jasso?

I fell into that trap.  I won a few pretty nice books like Iron Fist 14 CGC 9.6 and Daredevil 168 CGC 9.6 but never could win a big book so even though I was buying 1 or 2 spots a handfull times a day my losses over a week where huge.  I made up for it by raffling off a ton of books at GPA (I'd gotten them for 20% under so I was still making good money) but it was all just a big waste of time.  Much happier to not have to worry about filling raffles, running the raffle correctly and making sure everyone sent me the correct amount.  E-Bay and selling here is so much easier.

Not sure what a Jasso is. He won the Avengers books on Instagram, I’m not into IG so not sure how those work, same principle I’d imagine. 

44 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I’ve sold on Comic Auctions Canada, it’s a closed group so only members see posts. Also closed groups are the only way to get away with raffles since only members see the posts

FB is mostly a good alternative for shopping for me. I did get burned once when I first got on there but that was my fault. There are definitely savages out there but that shouldn’t be a surprise. Other than I’ve gotten some good deals. I’m a member of the Comic book collecting B/S/T as well. 

I was a continual spectator for one auctioneer, I never bid because I was shocked at how much over GPA these people were bidding up the books. It was laughable. I saw $10 variants get bid up to $100 and mid grade silver bronze non key Bats go for $150+. I was tempted to make jokes about it but it’s not my business what people want to pay. If they go through with the sale anyway. That particular auctioneer got run off FB I guess. People kept reporting him because he was doing so well I think lol

I know a few people that do Instagram raffles.  I don’t have Instagram, but save the pages of a few people I know to see what they post.  Is it possible for Instagram and/or Facebook to shut down raffles?  It is just a form of gambling after all, right?  I’m not against it by any means, just wondering.

I’m on IG as well.  I rarely post.  I should get into it though.  It’s a great venue for selling books.  I’d still do the “higher end” stuff here ($250 up). From what I’ve seen, IG is a great spot for those $10-200 books.