• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM graded Spectacular Spiderman 1

15 posts in this topic

A perhaps strange request, but please here me out.  I bought this already slabbed a 9.6 about a year ago. I thought the centering was great (Comics Code box not cut off,) liked that it had white pages.

Now I've looked this book over (through the slab anyway) and I cannot find any defects I typically see in a 9.6.

I have other CGC graded books in 9.8 and 9.6 and can see a difference; this book looks like the 9.8's.

There is actually a 9.8 CGC on eBay right now that appears to have small color breaking spine tics on the black portion of the cover. I put circles on these 2 pics of the 9.8 book.

If I were to crack/resub and get a 9.8, this book's value essentially doubles from $100 to $200+, based on what I've seen.

So I appeal to you, the experts. Am I crazy? Is there an explanation in the graders' notes?

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

CGC 9.8 example1.jpg

CGC 9.8 example2.jpg

Looks like a very tiny piece out at the bottom right that triangulates the corner! Also, a flaked, transverse spine stress about 1/8th of an inch up from the bottom = a 9.6 from an otherwise 9.8 quality book, if I'm seeing those defects correctly.

Edited by James J Johnson
typo

I'd definitely not recommend trying for a crack and resub (even with a press) with this book.  You could get lucky and pull a 9.8 but I'd put my money on you getting back a 9.6 or even a 9.4 with the current picky graders.

Edited by 1Cool

Thanks for all the replies!

If that bottom left corner is all it takes to go from 9.8 to 9.6 then that’s inconsistent with the vast majority of other CGC books I’ve inspected. It’s actually just missing a spot of ink, there’s no fold/crease. Appears to be made that way; no visible cause of damage.

Someone mentioned the upper right corner; that’s not folded; it’s the Mylar pulling it down slightly because it overhangs the interior pages.  

I’m not going to get it regraded; I’ll be content believing I have the best 9.6 book out there. ? better than at least one of the 9.8’s anyways. 

If this book for some reason shoots up in value I’ll be seriously tempted to push my luck.

Update: I found 3 other CGC 9.8's on eBay, with the same lower left spot of black ink missing at corner. It didn't bring those down to a 9.6.  I'll hold off the wall of pictures to show them unless someone wants to see.

I added a better closeup of the upper right corner. It is kind of draped over the inner pages, not folded.

I will digress. Thank you all once again.

5a7e1870651a2_IMG_32891.thumb.JPG.37ca04a3e1bb5549507f377d3c3171c0.JPG

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:43 AM, 1Cool said:

I'd definitely not recommend trying for a crack and resub (even with a press) with this book.  You could get lucky and pull a 9.8 but I'd put my money on you getting back a 9.6 or even a 9.4 with the current picky graders.

It'll never make 9.8. IMO, 9.6 was optimistic.

Greetings, Joosh

I was hunting for Spectacular Spider-Man as usual, and I ran across this post. I would like to add my two-cents. Your copy is beautiful! Cut and Centering is magnificent! I have actually been looking for a perfectly centered 9.8 WP+ Copy to go with my set (~slpfi27~ Spectacular Spider-Man #001-#263 + Annuals and Variants. Set Name: "Nuff Said..." Located on the CGC Census). I think your book is beautiful, and I would agree that the grading in this issue is very interesting!?! Its always subjective, and I would have to agree with you. it looks to be a solid 9.8 Candidate. Centering and cut may not be part of CGC's Criteria when grading, but it should be with this book. I think you would see 95% of the 9.8's become 9.6 if this were part of the criteria.  

The Comics Logo is always cut off or super close to the edge, and the header bar and spine is always slanted and not squared. I know it is just "Spectacular Spider-Man #1" who cares... but when people do care the perfect chop and center will be the gold standard of this book.

I agree with the fellow board members that it probably isn't a great idea to resub just because of the investment cost you have in regrading. I think your book is a GEM and I would hold onto it, like you said when the value of this book shoots up someday you'll have a super star. I challenge anyone to find a already graded CGC 9.8 WP Candidate that is centered and cut  better than Joosh, because they aren't out there.

If you got the centering, you got the bad cut... and if you got the Cut, you got the bad centering. To have both solid cut and centering is damn near impossible. I know because I have been looking.

Keep that puppy safe Joosh!

Sincerely,

Brian W

<slpfi27>

On 2/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, Joosh said:

So I appeal to you, the experts. Am I crazy?

No not crazy at all. So many comics we look at thru the slab and think it could / should be a grade either higher or lower. Sadly, it is what it is.

My personal opinion, absolutely do not pay to crack and resubmit.

I very much appreciate the positive response on this book’s qualities. 

I qualified the nonexistence of the perceived flaws and still had people saying the book could be a 9.4. My biggest hesitation against regrading is that the book gets damaged in the process. I believe it’s every bit a 9.8.

9 minutes ago, Joosh said:

I very much appreciate the positive response on this book’s qualities. 

I qualified the nonexistence of the perceived flaws and still had people saying the book could be a 9.4. My biggest hesitation against regrading is that the book gets damaged in the process. I believe it’s every bit a 9.8.

It *could* come back as a 9.8. It *could* come back as a 9.4. Probably comes back again as a 9.6. It's a really nice book and has value, but it's not super valuable. Not yet anyway. To pay to have it cracked; re-graded; shipping cost, wait time... Maybe wait and see if the book greatly appreciates in the next few years, then re-evaluate?

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:33 AM, WPPJames said:

It *could* come back as a 9.8. It *could* come back as a 9.4. Probably comes back again as a 9.6. It's a really nice book and has value, but it's not super valuable. Not yet anyway. To pay to have it cracked; re-graded; shipping cost, wait time... Maybe wait and see if the book greatly appreciates in the next few years, then re-evaluate?

Agreed! Now is not the time. The book is a beauty regardless, and still one of the best centered and cut copies I have seen.

Keep us updated!

I would not regrade that book. 9.6 is your ceiling with those corners. It is a fun book though... On release, I had my Dad drive me around to multiple convenience stores to grab a bunch of these books on release.