• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warlord mini comic 1983 remco value?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Hi all. 

I am looking to find a rough value of this book. I know that it is extremely rare (from what I read, never was suppose to exist and maybe 15 copies survived) and that it more than likely is a nitche market for it.  I am the owner of the highest graded copy. Universal 9.6 and only 1 other has been graded which was a 9.4.  I cannot find any raw sales to even figure out a value and was hoping for some insight.  And to be completely transparent. I am thinking of possibly selling to put towards something I truly want. This book does have sentimental value to me because of its rarity and I know I will probably never see one again let alone in this condition. Can anyone advise or give an approximation of value? Thanks in advance

15181462179741675456773.jpg

How is that a 9.6? It looks like toilet paper to me. :p

Clearly not the label for the book or the book for the label. :insane:

And it sounds like a sales thread to me. hm

Edited by divad

4 hours ago, divad said:

1. Clearly you know nothing of this book.  It was manufactured with a stiches spine no staples. Hence why the book presents the way it does.

2. See above.

3. If you read my question I was looking for an approximate value to determine if I would even consider selling it. If it was for sale, it would be in sales section at this point.

4. You added zero help to any of my questions except thread dumping. Appreciate it. Thanks

pfffffffffft . . . Why the tape on the label then?

I suppose that because there are "only two," you (and CGC) think that a book with obvious spine issues (regardless of how it's bound) can grade a 9.6?  The grade is relative to itself? That's just BS.

And btw, take it over to the Sales  section.

It's not thread dumping, if it's true.

Edited by divad

8 hours ago, divad said:

1. That's an opinion. Are we not allowed to have one.

2. I was being facetious, as noted by the :insane: .

3. All "value" threads are not. :sumo:

No offense. :grin:

Edited by divad

Ian Levine was told by DC that it was never issued, but a small qty. turned up on ebay over ten years ago in sealed toys - old shop stock with price stickers on so they clearly did have some distribution - I bought one, it was in the Arak figure from the range. Each spine mark on that copy is where it is stitched so I suppose it could be defined as a manufacturing issue and excused by CGC? On the plus side the value is likely to reflect how scarcely it is offered - I can't say I've seen another copy come up since that batch so price guide values can be ignored. Overstreet still has it listed at $5!

Edited by David Buck
spelling

42 minutes ago, David Buck said:

Ian Levine was told by DC that it was never issued, but a small qty. turned up on ebay over ten years ago in sealed toys - old shop stock with price stickers on so they clearly did have some distribution - I bought one, it was in the Arak figure from the range. Each spine mark on that copy is where it is stitched so I suppose it could be defined as a manufacturing issue and excused by CCG? On the plus side the value is likely to reflect how scarcely it is offered - I can't say I've seen another copy come up since that batch so price guide values can be ignored. Overstreet still has it listed at $5!

Thank you for some cool insight

I can't believe how rare this comic is! I spent months talking myself out of buying the only one available online because they wanted almost $500 for it, and now that it appears to be unavailable I am seriously kicking myself for not getting it when it was there to get. I have no idea what I was thinking. At flea markets my dad always told me the time to get something is when it's in front of you because you may not see it again, and I didn't heed this advice!

On 2/12/2018 at 9:22 PM, nickwire said:

well theres an unopened figure on ebay now with the book with a bin of 1600. that's a start for your evaluation

Since it's unsold, that would suggest it's not worth as much as $1600.

On 4/17/2024 at 1:54 AM, Captain Corum said:

I can't believe how rare this comic is! I spent months talking myself out of buying the only one available online because they wanted almost $500 for it, and now that it appears to be unavailable I am seriously kicking myself for not getting it when it was there to get. I have no idea what I was thinking. At flea markets my dad always told me the time to get something is when it's in front of you because you may not see it again, and I didn't heed this advice!

And this would suggest someone would buy it for at least $500.

Not sure how much demand there is for Warlord stuff, or niche books like minis. If I were selling it and looking to maximize profit, I would run as an auction with a high minimum bid (probably somewhere north of 500, but not as high as 1600), and gradually decrease the minimum bid, if it doesn't sell initially, until it does sell.

On 4/17/2024 at 11:39 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

And this would suggest someone would buy it for at least $500.

Not sure how much demand there is for Warlord stuff, or niche books like minis. If I were selling it and looking to maximize profit, I would run as an auction with a high minimum bid (probably somewhere north of 500, but not as high as 1600), and gradually decrease the minimum bid, if it doesn't sell initially, until it does sell.

Well, it's definitely not worth $500. I went and checked the price again and they had it listed for $410 plus shipping on eBay, and the listing was actually "finished" rather than "sold." I messaged them to ask if, since that was the case, they might be able to relist it, and they simply said it was "no longer available." Maybe someone was trying to sell it through them on consignment and just gave up? It was up for a LONG time which is why I had kinda assumed it'd always be there if I wanted to pull the trigger on purchasing it. So there's no evidence it actually sold since when I asked, they wouldn't say.

Also, it had been listed on their own site (not eBay) in the $300s, so presumably the price was higher on eBay just to make up for the eBay fees. So if they sold it at all, it'd have been at that price.

Just as a side-note, I am trying to get this because it's the only comic with Arak that I don't have. If there are any equally die-hard DC Hercules collectors out there, I have to think this would have equal appeal to them as well.

I'd guess that somewhere in the ballpark of $400-500 is appropriate for a well-presenting copy. No idea what that 9.6 slab that started the thread in 2018 might sell for at this point.

I passed on a copy of this in 2021 because it had a gnarly corner ding at LL but the seller was adamant that they wouldn't go below $350, and I just didn't have enough interest in the book to drop that on a damaged copy. I've probably moved on from chasing this one at all, to be honest, so that's one less competitor for you the next time a nice one emerges. Copies do exist, but this is definitely not a book that comes up constantly, or sometimes even yearly.

Like with some rare promotional pieces, stuff like this is more like hunting for specific GA books than chasing a normal Copper / Modern, regardless of market value. It has to be about the hunt.

On 4/17/2024 at 2:16 PM, Qalyar said:

I'd guess that somewhere in the ballpark of $400-500 is appropriate for a well-presenting copy. No idea what that 9.6 slab that started the thread in 2018 might sell for at this point.

I passed on a copy of this in 2021 because it had a gnarly corner ding at LL but the seller was adamant that they wouldn't go below $350, and I just didn't have enough interest in the book to drop that on a damaged copy. I've probably moved on from chasing this one at all, to be honest, so that's one less competitor for you the next time a nice one emerges. Copies do exist, but this is definitely not a book that comes up constantly, or sometimes even yearly.

Like with some rare promotional pieces, stuff like this is more like hunting for specific GA books than chasing a normal Copper / Modern, regardless of market value. It has to be about the hunt.

What's LL?

The pic from the eBay listing is remarkably similar to the 9.6 slab that started this thread. Their website just has a generic pic but I assume since they stopped selling both at the same time, this is what they were selling through their website too. I emailed them at the email address they have listed on their website so hopefully they will give me a more specific answer than they did in their eBay message reply.

Evidently, they have only ever had this listed on their website twice, one graded at 9.6 and one at 9.4.

Here's the pic from the eBay listing:

warlord mini ebay.jpg

Edited by Captain Corum

On 4/17/2024 at 3:31 PM, Qalyar said:

Lower left.

Hmmm... I "Googled" that as the kids say, and can't find anything related to a comics convention (even when I added that to the search). Is that a comics convention? Sorry if this is a dense question, I just joined this forum to try to hunt down this comic and know nothing about grading comics.

On 4/17/2024 at 3:20 PM, Captain Corum said:
On 4/17/2024 at 2:31 PM, Qalyar said:

Lower left.

Hmmm... I "Googled" that as the kids say, and can't find anything related to a comics convention (even when I added that to the search). Is that a comics convention? Sorry if this is a dense question, I just joined this forum to try to hunt down this comic and know nothing about grading comics.

lower left as in a directional area of a cover, that corner :cheers: