• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Arguing with people on Craigslist (or Kijiji)
3 3

35 posts in this topic

The same ads keep coming up every few months.  The books are garbage, and the prices are ridiculous.  How many of you have offered constructive criticism to wayward posters, or fired a snarky comment their way?  Did anything interesting come of it?

I harshed a guy out about his prices once, and without skipping a beat, he said he buys bulk at 20 cents a book.  After selling him two long boxes of kindling for $120, I'm wondering who else I should be rude to!

Note: those of you with the good sense to ignore these people are wise, but absolutely no fun!  However, you're still welcome to post your boring opinions!  :nyah:

Edited by FineCollector
Clarification

Over here we have Gumtree which is the equivalent to Craigslist 

I once messaged a seller asking were they throwing in a brand new washing machine along with the comics as the price was absurd.

Its good if you know your prices etc, and at the same time I'd never want to see anyone get ripped off 

I typically don't like to waste my time. If I am even interested in making an offer for what they have I just make it and move on.

Around these parts the competition is fierce for comic collections. The ones I find available on Craigslist are still there available for a reason.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I don't even bother with Craigslist or sites like that. 98% of the time it is a waste of effort. I'd just as soon let somebody try to "educate" these sellers. I have better luck at flea markets, swap meets and estate sales. Books are usually priced (same price no matter which book). If the price is right, I buy what I want, if not, I walk. Last week a lady had about 6 different Zap underground comics. Not first prints but perhaps 2nd or 3rd in average shape. I asked the price and she said $300. for the pile. I looked her in the eye, put them down said no thanks and was on my way. I don't spend any time with un-educated and greedy sellers...

Like Robot Man, I usually don't bother with Craigslist. But I happened to check Craigslist a few years ago and saw an ad for comics from the 70s. I called up the guy, but he said somebody wanted them and was holding them for that person. Took me a while to convince him to sell the comics to me and I would be there within the hour. I told him my money was just as good as the other guy and that he wouldn't have to wait. That's the closest I came to an argument.

I do occasionally check, but I see the same old ads (some from a few years ago) and way overpriced. Sometimes I feel like straightening them up, but then I come to my senses and not bother. Life's too short.

I bought a couple masterpiece transformers off offer up. I told the guy his prices were higher than ebay. He then lowered his price and we worked out a deal. ^^

When i met up with him he told me he used Amazon for his prices so understood where he was coming from. Simple misunderstanding for someone that doesn't use ebay.

The comic book ads on Craigslist around me are about 75% the same listings over and over again for junk books that no one would want for a quarter.  The other 25% are the “Want to buy comics and I pay the most” ads.  Once in a blue moon something good will come up but it usually doesn’t last long.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎08 at 10:31 PM, FineCollector said:

The same ads keep coming up every few months.  The books are garbage, and the prices are ridiculous.  How many of you have offered constructive criticism to wayward posters, or fired a snarky comment their way?  Did anything interesting come of it?

I harshed a guy out about his prices once, and without skipping a beat, he said he buys bulk at 20 cents a book.  Two long boxes of kindling and $120 later, I'm wondering who else I should be rude to!

Note: those of you with the good sense to ignore these people are wise, but absolutely no fun!  However, you're still welcome to post your boring opinions!  :nyah:

Thanks again for buying those books off me for $160, I thought they were coming with me to the grave.

Edited by spreads

I have seen many listings like that in my local CL area. I still see some listing re-running in cycles for weeks, months, even few years! Asking at ridiculous prices or look-at-moon prices. I did thought in sending replies to explain, but think is waste of my time explaining to these people who had no clue anyway. So.. I leave out and stay away.

i have better luck in finding comic books in other places that is not CL or Kijiji! Estate sales are good.

I did recently talk to a guy who listed his entire collection for sale on Kijiji. His listing had a picture of a Hulk 181, not disclosing the MVS is missing of course. The entire valuation was what the Hulk 181 would be priced at if it had the stamp. The pictures were of longboxes with some books pulled up slightly so you can see what is there. Some keys, Xmen 266, Xmen 244, etc.

The price was $2.95 per book take it all. It was about 10 longs.

Once I contacted him I quickly learned the Hulk 181 was no longer part of the deal as he had promised it to someone else. The price of $2.95 per book still stands. I started to explained to him that without the Hulk 181 his valuation is to high as Deathmate isn't a $2.95 book. He got very hostile, accused me of being a dealer and he said he has no interest in doing business with any dealers who are just going to rip him off. I told him that if the Hulk 181 is no longer part of the deal he needs to remove the pictures he prominently displayed as he is misleading his potential buyers. He responded with more hostility so I just said "ok, good luck" and said goodbye. No need to waste time.

On 2018-02-08 at 10:31 PM, FineCollector said:

I harshed a guy out about his prices once, and without skipping a beat, he said he buys bulk at 20 cents a book.  Two long boxes of kindling and $120 later, I'm wondering who else I should be rude to!

Do you post anything for sale on either site? If so, what do have up on either site right now?

People think dealers are out to scam little old ladies of their treasures, and sometimes, it's true.  I'm told there's a sports card dealer in Kingston, ON who turned into a comic dealer after paying a little old lady $1 apiece for her late husband's late gold, atom and silver age comic collection.  To the layperson, how are you to know who's an honest professional, and who's a scumbag out to win the lottery at your expense?

2 hours ago, dhgladiator said:

Do you post anything for sale on either site? If so, what do have up on either site right now?

No, I rarely sell books, and never online.  The bulk guy was a great find because I had two long boxes worth of nothing I didn't know what to do with, and he bought them without even looking at them.  I'd seen him before at auctions.  He had a warehouse full of broken junk, and said he sold out every time he had comics to sell.  True to his word, he didn't have one comic when I was there, although with his sky high asking prices, I don't know who he'd be selling to.

Here's one for discussion, if you'd like:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-comics-graphic-novels/ottawa/web-of-spider-man-lot-of-76-vintage-comics-1985-95/1319799610?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Incomplete set of F and VF Web of Spider-Mans for about $5.90 per issue.  Would I be too critical if I offered him an honest opinion on his pricing?

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

People think dealers are out to scam little old ladies of their treasures, and sometimes, it's true.  I'm told there's a sports card dealer in Kingston, ON who turned into a comic dealer after paying a little old lady $1 apiece for her late husband's late gold, atom and silver age comic collection.  To the layperson, how are you to know who's an honest professional, and who's a scumbag out to win the lottery at your expense?

No, I rarely sell books, and never online.  The bulk guy was a great find because I had two long boxes worth of nothing I didn't know what to do with, and he bought them without even looking at them.  I'd seen him before at auctions.  He had a warehouse full of broken junk, and said he sold out every time he had comics to sell.  True to his word, he didn't have one comic when I was there, although with his sky high asking prices, I don't know who he'd be selling to.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-comics-graphic-novels/ottawa/web-of-spider-man-lot-of-76-vintage-comics-1985-95/1319799610?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Incomplete set of F and VF Web of Spider-Mans for about $5.90 per issue.  Would I be too critical if I offered him an honest opinion on his pricing?

Tell him he's not charging enough. 

I think some people cannot understand what type of buyer a dealer is in the first place. They see these books and what they go for at retail (ebay or at their LCS). They may have even been buying them at retail very recently. So when a dealer offers to buy a large amount of books at wholesale prices, some folks get upset. That is fine-- they are free to go through all the effort required to get retail prices -- which in the end may cost them more than the discount a dealer is asking.

Trying to get the average person to understand that concept can be difficult. They cannot equate the idea of selling bulk at bulk rates. Or even selling a short box of great books at 50-75% of GPA.

There is really only one reason people sell entire collections in one transaction to dealers -- they want to be rid of the situation and make some money in the process. There is a cost associated with that convenience.

Edited by 01TheDude

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

No, for me... too much trouble in explaining to him about his pricing. These books aren’t worth my time.

One case in example, last year in April a local anquite and collectable show was hosted near me every year. There, I was browsing over the booths around, looking for comic books or vintage toys that might catch my eye. One lady at a booth had two boxes full of Bronze Age comics (all readers, all dreks) ... nothing big keys. I asked her how much for two boxes? 

She said give her time to figure out. So, I let her do her thing. I walked around elsewhere and back in an hour to her. I asked again what price she have on mind. She quoted me $700!  I looked at her, and I said her nicely that these books aren’t desired but just good readers are all. I found out she used Google to look up the values. Ah...

i said thank you but I am not interested, then I walked away.  This year I will see if she still have them at the local show the coming April again.