• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collection Organization Tips
7 7

194 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, darkstar said:

drawer boxes are garbage.

I hear they bow under pressure, dont know if that is true or not.

Guess you could always put a piece of plywood in between each tier.

Edited by oakman29

On 2/12/2018 at 7:42 PM, the blob said:

Alas, i invested a few hundred bucks on 9 of those shelving units you see, so that is what i am going to use for now.

When you are ready, you can fit 20 short BCW boxes in a standard  five drawer lateral file cabinet. BCW boxes are about 1/4 inch shorter than many competitors.

I like their competitors boxes better as they are better made. They simply don't fit in those cabinets.

I bought a bunch  of cabinets at a bankruptcy sale. They are great. Was able to condense four five shelf plastic cases into three lateral cabinets. Ended up selling the plastic shelves for more than I paid for the file cabinets and reduced the storage footprint significantly. I'm waiting on the keys so eventually they will lock.

13 hours ago, darkstar said:

They most definitely do, which defeats the purpose of stacking them as the lower ones in the stack become incredibly difficult to open. 

They absolutely do not bow. I'm 150 lbs and I can stand on empty Drawer Boxes and they are 100% stable. As Shadroch said, your clearly thinking of BCW's file boxes or one of the other knock off's and not Drawer Boxes. And the BoxLox clips that you can add SIGNIFICANTLY add to thier stability as it literally attaches each box to the boxes beside them. I can actually push into my stacks with significant force and they don't even budge. And mine are stacked 6 high and are over 5 years old and they are still in pristine condition. Not even the slightest bit of bowing taking place and most of my boxes are 100% full. 

The Collection Drawer even addresses this issue.

Competitor Failure Warranty

notasgoodasours1.jpg notasgoodasours2.jpg

WE EVEN GUARANTEE OUR COMPETITION! To not be as good as ours, that is. In the past 11 years since we created and started manufacturing our DrawerBoxes™ a couple of companies have started producing cheap imitations. They can’t copy us exactly since that would infringe on our patents. So they have settled for producing low cost, low quality copies. We know because we have heard numerous complaints about them. We have always stood behind the quality of our products and the claims we make. Now we are going one step further. We will stand behind the fact that our DrawerBoxes are significantly stronger and longer lasting than any box made by any other product that claims to be stackable and function like a drawer. If you are one of those hapless collectors that have been drawn in by exaggerated claims because: Our imitators units could not be stacked 6 high or began collapsing under the weight of units stacked above it. Your long or short boxes did not fit despite claims their product would fit any manufacturer. Your long or short boxes did not hold up when used like a drawer. The long or short box did not hang open when fully extended like a true drawer should. Or of any other problem due to their low quality materials and design. We will refund $2.00 off the purchase price of every DrawerBox you order from us as a replacement. Here’s how it works: When you order DrawerBoxes fax us a copy of your invoice or receipt for the shell or housing you purchased from another company along with our Competitor Warranty Request

I actually just found a comic store by me called Back to the Past that actually sells them. The Collection Drawer has a stores section on their website that shows what stores in each state sell them. So for those looking to buy just 1 or 2 boxes, you should check that section and see if there is a store in your state that sells them. Here is the link:

http://collectiondrawer.com/store-list

This is what Back to the Past's website says about Drawer Boxes and they actually have a picture of someone standing on an empty box as well and that guy weighs 205 pounds, which is 55 pounds more than I weigh.  I was impressed that they were stable when I stood on top of them and I only weigh 150 pounds. The fact that a 205 pound guy can stand on them without them bowing of buckling under the pressure is just beyond impressive. These things are built like a tank 

http://gobacktothepast.com/comics-drawerboxes/

Will They Really Do All You Say?

You bet they will!

The boxes are strong enough to be stacked six boxes high when completely filled with comics. In fact, we have used them for years and have found no evidence of sagging. These are the strongest boxes made for comics by anyone. Should you be using anything less for your collection?

We do encourage you to use good judgment when building your arrangement. Anything can tip over when stacked tall enough. We suggest either stacking them against a wall for stability or arranging them with at least one less in the number of rows going across as they are stacked high. That is, if you stack them four high we suggest stacking them at least three across. By the way, a stack of twelve boxes will hold over 2,800 comics in just over five square feet of floor space, with every comic at your fingertips. Let’s see you do that with a long box.

Don’t forget about Box-Locks as well — use Box-Locks to anchor the top row of Comics DrawerBoxes together, giving the entire structure stability and allowing you to pull out a drawer on the top row without the box tipping forward.

On the topic of strength, check out our pal Mike Boyle, a statuesque 205 pounds of real man.  He loves to demonstrate how hardy a true-blue Comic DrawerBox is by hopping up on top of one and having customers pull the drawer out.  This no-BS test will consistently flatten other unworthy imitators, whose names we will not mention…

Back to the Past has given the real deal our exclusive stamp of approval and we do not carry other cheaper versions.  We think you’ll agree that Comic DrawerBoxes are hands-down the one and only product you should be using to stack your boxes!

comicdrawerboxesarestrong.jpg.8bea4bf7053fc99a178adc68843caef6.jpg

Edited by OrangeCrush

5 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

They absolutely do not bow. I'm 150 lbs and I can stand on empty Drawer Boxes and they are 100% stable. As Shadroch said, your clearly thinking of BCW's file boxes or one of the other knock off's and not Drawer Boxes. And the BoxLox clips that you can add SIGNIFICANTLY add to thier stability as it literally attaches each box to the boxes beside them. I can actually push into my stacks with significant force and they don't even budge. And mine are stacked 6 high and are over 5 years old and they are still in pristine condition. Not even the slightest bit of bowing taking place and most of my boxes are 100% full. 

But they do. I've been to several stores in that link, including Pastimes in Niles and NewCastle Comics in Maryland Heights that use drawer boxes. Drawer boxes become completely impractical when fully filled and stacked as the compression on the box makes it quite difficult to pull out the actual drawer. Also there is very little clearance between the top of the comics and the ceiling of the drawer, which means you have to pull the drawer out nearly all the way to reach the books in the back. There is nothing to support the drawer when it is significantly extended, which means you have to take it all the way out and put it on the floor/table or awkwardly balance it on your knee or against your chest.   

That is, simply, not true. Either you are confusing them with a competitor, or they aren't secured with Biloxi, or you have an agenda.  In my old set up, they were stacked six high, and eight wide, using booked for stability. The bottom draw opened fine, and you could pull the box out well over  three quarters of the way. 

Are they 100 percent perfect in every way? No. They are simply heads and shoulders above any competition and far and away the best comic box solution I've come across in thirty five plus years of storing comics.

Edited by shadroch

6 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

OrangeCrush are you affiliated with Drawer Boxes?

Don't get me wrong, they sound like a good idea, but you seem to be pushing them pretty hard.

I'm not. They are simply that good. A similar comparison is comparing a cheap plastic bag to a Mylar.

One other advantage they have is the combined thickness gives much greater protection. When I had my flood, the outer shells were ruined on the bottom level. The outside of the boxes got wet, but for the most part the books were okay. A regular magazine box on the floor had all its contents ruined. I ended up losing a couple hundred books, but had they been housed in regular boxes, it would have been much worse.

Edited by shadroch

4 hours ago, spreads said:

Enough with this drawer box talk, move on guys. 

I would hate to lose these three pages of the thread because someone noted a mod for de-railment.

General apologies for my part in the derailment! That wasn't my intent.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:48 PM, Shawnismaximus said:

OrangeCrush are you affiliated with Drawer Boxes?

Don't get me wrong, they sound like a good idea, but you seem to be pushing them pretty hard.

Nope, I'm just an architectural photographer. I have no affiliation with anything but my own architectural photography business. And I'm Just calling out disinformation, one of the worst aspects of the modern day internet. Anyone suggesting Drawer Boxes bow have CLEARLY never used them before. Suggesting that Drawer Boxes bow is like suggesting Mylites 4's with Full back boards don't offer adequate protection for comics. 

6 hours ago, spreads said:

Enough with this drawer box talk, move on guys. 

I would hate to lose these three pages of the thread because someone noted a mod for de-railment.

I don't understand how you can call it a derailment when the person who actually started the thread asking for advice on how to best organize his collection came right out and stated

On 2/15/2018 at 1:07 AM, the blob said:

Drawer boxes are a legit suggestion. I am cool with it.

And the only reason I kept the discussion going was because I was personally asked questions regarding the boxes. I don't know how some of the other members in here approach using various forums, but when I am asked a question directly regarding something, I try and answer those questions. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

18 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Nope, I'm just an architectural photographer. I have no affiliation with anything but my own architectural photography business. And I'm Just calling out disinformation, one of the worst aspects of the modern day internet. Anyone suggesting Drawer Boxes bow have CLEARLY never used them before. Suggesting that Drawer Boxes bow is like suggesting Mylites 4's with Full back boards don't offer adequate protection for comics. 

I don't understand how you can call it a derailment when the person who actually started the thread asking for advice on how to best organize his collection came right out and stated

And the only reason I kept the discussion going was because I was personally asked questions regarding the boxes. I don't know how some of the other members in here approach using various forums, but when I am asked a question directly regarding something, I try and answer those questions. 

You made your point and we appreciate it, the thread derailed when it became a 'pros vs cons' debate on these.  We can draw our own conclusions from the material provided, drop the subject and move on.