• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collection Organization Tips
7 7

194 posts in this topic

Anyway, I hit a bit of a wall with this project. Getting crowded up there, I ran out of magazine/short boxes to move the long boxes into (need to buy more), and I pretty much can only do it on the weekends. My son is really into it though, so that is good, but I don't want him to sort solo because I want to be able to put any other hot books like the NYX 3 to the side and he just doesn't know what to look for.

23 minutes ago, the blob said:

Keep in mind he closed in 2000 and the Thors were bought in 1983 and 1993. He didn't get stuck with a palette of Turok 1s and other Valiant/Image hype. He did alright on some other moves and generally lowballed every collection that came in.

I don't know if you're still in touch with him but I wonder if there's any leftover comics floating around?  Comics that haven't been touched since 2000 could see benefit from serious appreciation over the years.  And maybe he has other stuff that had little or no value then, like gaming cards that are worth acquiring. 

59 minutes ago, spreads said:

I don't know if you're still in touch with him but I wonder if there's any leftover comics floating around?  Comics that haven't been touched since 2000 could see benefit from serious appreciation over the years.  And maybe he has other stuff that had little or no value then, like gaming cards that are worth acquiring. 

He sold it all on ebay and bulked out the rest at a decent price. I'm not in touch with him anyway.

Had a long box of girly covers to toss and I was at the LCS and I saw a book for $200 and I was like "wait I think I have that..... "

Sure enough it was a Grimm Fairy Tales 1 that cost me like 3 cents maybe, also found some Artgerm Batgirls but lost them again already....   :ohnoez:

newbooks.jpg

11 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

Had a long box of girly covers to toss and I was at the LCS and I saw a book for $200 and I was like "wait I think I have that..... "

Sure enough it was a Grimm Fairy Tales 1 that cost me like 3 cents maybe, also found some Artgerm Batgirls but lost them again already....   :ohnoez:

newbooks.jpg

I got very excited when i found a grimm #1 too, until i saw it was a second print.

On 2/12/2018 at 8:02 AM, letsgrumble said:

Organizing my comic collection-accumulation is an ongoing project for me. I enjoy doing it but work and two small kids really limit my time. I do have an end goal of what I want my collection to look like and am working towards it.

I collect (specific) runs and have a lot.

Things I do upfront, always - and this is just me; not for everyone:

I enter every new book into a spreadsheet. I record everything: title, grade, cost, etc. If you can’t physically get control over your collection, at the very least keep a listing of some kind so you know what you have.

I keep an abundance of supplies in anticipation that I’ll be acquiring stuff. I want my collection to have a uniform look. I’ve settled on Gerber products. For Gold-Silver-early Bronze (up to 25 cent books), I use Silver Gold full-backs and MyLite2 Silver-Golden sleeves, for Bronze and up Standard Mylite2 and full-backs. I’ve made my bed, now I gotta lie in it. Costly? Yes (and no) – but I’m satisfied with it.

Every new book gets a new board and sleeve. It's then placed into a magazine-sized box then eventually sorted by: 1) GA to early bronze or post-1976; 2) Publisher; 3) Title; 4) Issue Number. Rinse and repeat.

For boxes, I organize (pile) my collection into four groupings: 1) CGC graded books; 2) GA-early bronze; 3) Post-1976; 4) Moderns (moderns that I buy are mostly kept in a clean polybag with board in short boxes).

Presently, I’ve just finished organizing all my CGC books. I’m now working on my GA-early bronze books. Still have a lot to do. I have a ridiculous amount of duplication so I‘m really looking forward to getting everything in order this year. My end goal is to keep one copy and purge the rest. Dividers and maybe labels would be a nice touch when it's all said and done.

Here's a looksie at a box in progress - so pretty, oh so pretty:

IMG_9024.thumb.JPG.b59a4942a169cf0f15cb2798ed5e2639.JPG

I love this set-up! For the 775M2, are you using 825R archives?

On 5/3/2018 at 9:24 PM, Ovrclck said:

I love this set-up! For the 775M2, are you using 825R archives?

Thanks! Yes, that's exactly what I use: 775M2 and 825R. I've settled on this combo a decade ago.

And aside from providing solid protection, the sheen on the Mylar gives your books a little more eye appeal.

IMG_0052.thumb.JPG.20c03760f8c42932e2752f3b60af0091.JPG

2 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Thanks! Yes, that's exactly what I use: 775M2 and 825R. I've settled on this combo a decade ago.

And aside from providing solid protection, the sheen on the Mylar gives your books a little more eye appeal.

IMG_0052.thumb.JPG.20c03760f8c42932e2752f3b60af0091.JPG

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I went ahead and placed an order or two for the 825R's (thumbsu

I hope it's okay to revive this topic. I'm in the process of reorganizing and decluttering my comic book/collectibles area. I took the plunge and bought 10 DrawerBoxes (short boxes) and will be slowly moving my collection from regular short boxes over the next few weeks.

One issue I've run into is a small number of Gold Key/Dell comics in my collection. They're too wide for the DrawerBoxes. They just about fit in one of my regular short boxes, which is slightly wider than the others. I'll probably end up keeping them in that specific box because I don't have very many. How do other people store their Gold Key/Dell comics? Poking around here and elsewhere online it seems magazine boxes are a good width for Gold Key/Dell but it's hard to find a place that sells just one magazine box. There are a few on Amazon but they seem a little sketchy with only a handful of reviews.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

I hope it's okay to revive this topic. I'm in the process of reorganizing and decluttering my comic book/collectibles area. I took the plunge and bought 10 DrawerBoxes (short boxes) and will be slowly moving my collection from regular short boxes over the next few weeks.

One issue I've run into is a small number of Gold Key/Dell comics in my collection. They're too wide for the DrawerBoxes. They just about fit in one of my regular short boxes, which is slightly wider than the others. I'll probably end up keeping them in that specific box because I don't have very many. How do other people store their Gold Key/Dell comics? Poking around here and elsewhere online it seems magazine boxes are a good width for Gold Key/Dell but it's hard to find a place that sells just one magazine box. There are a few on Amazon but they seem a little sketchy with only a handful of reviews.

CGC boxes work too.  If there's no urgency, I would just pick up a magazine box at a LCS. 

I took a break from all of this. The room I have the comics in can get pretty stuffy and I have no AC up there. Plus work got very very busy and, frankly, I am old and tired. I took a break from comics generally and these boards too. I'll be back, just busy with other stuff. My son has been bugging me to do a comics sorting night, so when the weather gets better we'll probably be back at it.  

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

I took a break from all of this. The room I have the comics in can get pretty stuffy and I have no AC up there. Plus work got very very busy and, frankly, I am old and tired. I took a break from comics generally and these boards too. I'll be back, just busy with other stuff. My son has been bugging me to do a comics sorting night, so when the weather gets better we'll probably be back at it.  

Put the lad to work and sit on the deck with a beer/lemonade!  ;) 

16 minutes ago, spreads said:

Put the lad to work and sit on the deck with a beer/lemonade!  ;) 

He needs supervision. I'll set a chair up, but for reasons I don't understand, he is not good at bagging and boarding comics, although he can get pokeman cards in sleaves ok. also, part of this project is for me to pick out expensive stuff that might just be in regular piles, ike I did with an NYX 3 that was in a silver age bag with 5 other comics from around that year. Clearly I had gotten it out of a cheap-0 box with some drek.

34 minutes ago, the blob said:

He needs supervision. I'll set a chair up, but for reasons I don't understand, he is not good at bagging and boarding comics, although he can get pokeman cards in sleaves ok. also, part of this project is for me to pick out expensive stuff that might just be in regular piles, ike I did with an NYX 3 that was in a silver age bag with 5 other comics from around that year. Clearly I had gotten it out of a cheap-0 box with some drek.

I see.  It's too bad, because bagging/boarding is probably the most arduous task (most manual and best candidate for outsourcing) of organizing...