• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need more Rare Indie key books - Small Press publishers! Any Suggestions?
5 5

106 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Spikenector said:

Love this thread! Can't get even of them obscure indie books, actually I prefer hunting these instead of common hero books. Here's one to add to the list, I believe this book could be a Earthworm Jim prototype appearance. They Called Him Evil by Doug Tennapel cover date 1991, which features a villain called Evil the Cat from EWJ! Recently pick this up with some other fun ones

IMG_5412.JPG

Love the Phantom Lady :foryou: 

On 2/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, Spikenector said:

Love this thread! Can't get even of them obscure indie books, actually I prefer hunting these instead of common hero books. Here's one to add to the list, I believe this book could be a Earthworm Jim prototype appearance. They Called Him Evil by Doug Tennapel cover date 1991, which features a villain called Evil the Cat from EWJ! Recently pick this up with some other fun ones

IMG_5412.JPG

Meeting you at Terry's show,  and talking with you,seeing the stuff you collect.  You certainly have great taste in comics and toys.

On February 27, 2018 at 12:27 PM, NoMan said:

I never hear anyone speak of it. I have no idea the Renegade Press print run. There was even a 2 volume TPB collection of the 6 issues or so with a forward by Frank Miller. 

It's really a crime this isn't held in a higher light.

Oh, how about Chester Brown's original Yummy Fur zine?

Amazing little series. I don't come across them much but I bought the tpb set once to read it through. It's 4 volumes total. It was maybe a dozen issues if you're hunting the originals, I think. 

Fangraphix Magazine is a good one, published by the future NOW Comics and edited by the future Ralph Snart star Marc Hansen, with the first couple Snart appearances in the third and fourth issues. I got mine from Milehigh for like $4 each in NM, and they arrived still wrapped in that brittle cellophane the publisher had shipped them in. I can't imagine these things have any sort of print run to brag about. Not like Ralph Snart is getting a movie deal any time soon or anything but I'm a fan, and NOW Comics has contributed to the industry in it's own way back in the 80's.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:33 PM, ___ said:

I have about exhausted my search for high grade indies that had very small print runs or very hard to find in high grade. Anyone else have suggestions from what I have? This can crossover somewhat into moderns but for the most part they are cooper books. This is what I have come up with so far in alpha order:

ZERO 9.8 copies of Cry for Dawn #5 2nd Print and #7 Deluxe Letterbox (Limited) - ZERO!!!

Any thought to I, Lusiphur by Drew Hayes for Mulehide Graphics? Poison Elves was pretty hot for a moment, and the larger magazine-size format of the original issues couldn't have helped keep them in high grade. Census has 40 copies of #1 graded, 6x 9.8, 8x 9.6, 6x 9.4, 2x 9.2, 2x 9.0 so not impossible but by no means common. 

Bumping this awesome section with my latest acquired copy of Visions #1 along with other Flaming Carrot Keys! Plus 2000AD Prog #2 featuring 1st Judge Dredd, I need more recommendation of indie keys! BTW does anyone here have a nude variant of Razor #51???   

5128BEEF-D0F9-4710-8319-6C59540EE078.jpeg

852E1382-9C6F-4E1A-A786-D2E26EA9AA28.jpeg

33E24FC5-69B9-4614-9982-A15D1C2F9F56.jpeg

Edited by Spikenector

On 5/22/2018 at 8:27 PM, wolverine180 said:

4 total. There was the regular cover and variant. Neither are hard to find and can be had in many dollar bin boxes. The blue special preview which is in my opinion tough to find unless you go right to eBay and wait for reasonable price. The last is a special edition gold color.  that came in a box set. Again not an easy find  but eBay again.

I have attached a couple photos in the order of description for reference purpose only. Side note. I believe the blue special edition would technically be witchblade 1st appearance. But I wont argue about it either since it is a preview book. Just wanted to help

Cyblade-Shi-The-Battle-For-Independents-1-Reg.jpg

0a6cd82e8ae8c32db0ebfae1ed370f16_l.jpg

950388105ff1dba8061523168de283c9_l.jpg

Actually a few more, but this was always a top 2 cover for me.

150625DC-2360-46BD-A89B-E5310516B3BC.jpeg

If you want something more recent, Knights of the Dinner Table #1 (Alderac Entertainment Group, 1994) isn't exactly rare, with a print run of 3000 copies and 35 on census. But it is legitimately hard to find 9.6/9.8 copies (2 and 1 on census, respectively; many copies shipped with defects) and it's a popular title that moved beyond its indie published roots. Not that I think it's worth even close to the price the sole 9.8 is currently consigned for at MCS...

But speaking of its roots, KoDT's first appearance is in Alderac's gaming magazine. Shadis #2 (1990) is pretty elusive, but was also (I believe) essentially a photocopied fanzine at the time and so may or may not be eligible for grading.

My copy of Knights of the Dinner Table #1, here's a Facebook comment Jolly Blackburn posted after he saw my copy - yeah we only printed 3,000. I have to think a 1/3 if those were trashed. We gave that issue away at a few cons in 94/95 and I definitely saw them later lying on benches on window seals at old convention center in Milwaukee. People would take them to be polite when we offered it to them and then you'd see then toss it I the trash further down the aisle. Too funny. (I don't blame them. It did look like ).

C3629CF1-D002-4544-B741-8FDD30681E2A.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Spikenector said:

My copy of Knights of the Dinner Table #1, here's a Facebook comment Jolly Blackburn posted after he saw my copy - yeah we only printed 3,000. I have to think a 1/3 if those were trashed. We gave that issue away at a few cons in 94/95 and I definitely saw them later lying on benches on window seals at old convention center in Milwaukee. People would take them to be polite when we offered it to them and then you'd see then toss it I the trash further down the aisle. Too funny. (I don't blame them. It did look like ).

C3629CF1-D002-4544-B741-8FDD30681E2A.jpeg

I added this over in the Valuable Comics since 1988 thread. A CGC 9.6 sold for almost $800 a few months ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Knights-of-the-Dinner-Table-1-CGC-9-6-WP-1st-Print-Alderac-Entertainment-3000-/324440897744?hash=item4b8a2f38d0%3Ag%3AIdkAAOSw-rVf4AZo&nma=true&si=sYFZpAP8jgg2HhKdrZ3u8RpT1os%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557