• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of the Best - Wolverine

23 posts in this topic

This is going to be a super long shot.

A few years back there was a best of the best CGC SS Sketch competition, for different characters, etc.

There was one sketch that was done on oils or pastels.

It was the best Wolverine sketch I'd ever seen.

It was from Mad Dogz I think.

I was just hoping to see it again.

On 2/10/2018 at 5:57 AM, rebelpk said:

This is going to be a super long shot.

A few years back there was a best of the best CGC SS Sketch competition, for different characters, etc.

There was one sketch that was done on oils or pastels.

It was the best Wolverine sketch I'd ever seen.

It was from Mad Dogz I think.

I was just hoping to see it again.

There was so much more interaction in the signature section back then with the competitions. What the heck happened?  

16 hours ago, jreezy said:

There was so much more interaction in the signature section back then with the competitions. What the heck happened?  

Yup. Unfortunately a few members expressed their distaste for the BOTB comp as they considered the handful of threads as 'spamming'

1 hour ago, Nino_013 said:

Yup. Unfortunately a few members expressed their distaste for the BOTB comp as they considered the handful of threads as 'spamming'

That unfortunate. This forum section  and few others is a dead zone now . Few people rarely sharing or even acknowledging each other’s posts.  It’s sad man 

On 2/24/2018 at 5:08 PM, Nino_013 said:

Plus I know people expressed concern over people copying commission ideas.  

My favorite threads were the mega threads of certain blanks - we should bring back maybe megathreads of a more global nature (“dc” “movie themed” or even by character/team blanks).  Idk. 

2 hours ago, AndyBoBo said:

Plus I know people expressed concern over people copying commission ideas.  

My favorite threads were the mega threads of certain blanks - we should bring back maybe megathreads of a more global nature (“dc” “movie themed” or even by character/team blanks).  Idk. 

I dont mind that ppl are inspired by covers, but yeah if someone was to flat out copy it, thatd me off too. 

Bringing back those mega threads would be great. Shame you cant look back on the previous ones.

Edited by Nino_013

17 hours ago, Nino_013 said:

I dont mind that ppl are inspired by covers, but yeah if someone was to flat out copy it, thatd me off too. 

Bringing back those mega threads would be great. Shame you cant look back on the previous ones.

Yep that was fun. I was in this and I create the Best of the Best website. But yeah peoples lost interrest and there was too many competion going at the same time, it was hard to follow and update. But I still got the website and only need someplace to host it and we would be able to see ALL the great sketch again :)

Edited by Erik B11

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:10 AM, jreezy said:

The BOTB threads started to dwindle because people got so bogged down in the rules.  Was the book nominated?  Is the book eligible as soon as it's created?  Does it have to be in-hand?  How long before a challenge could occur?  It really just got to be too much for something that should have simply been a fun thread.  That's why I stepped away, anyway.

Why has the Signature Room died down as much as it has in the years since the BOTB threads?  In my mind, the main contributing factor is how people/companies started creating exclusive Signature Series agreements with certain creators.  People used to find out when their desired creator would be at a show, meet up with friends in line, share stories, get books done, and then share the experience here in the SS room.  There used to be live updates for various conventions, big or small.  There were always convention reports with pictures from most major shows.  There were publicized meet-ups and the place felt like a community.  Now?  If you want Dave Finch, see this person.  If you want Ed McGuinness, see this person.  If you want Stan Lee, see this person.  The personal element largely went away while the prices climbed as the middle men needed a cut of the books that went through their hands.  It became less about meeting creators and sharing enthusiasm for your desired hobby and more about just paying someone to get your books signed.  Those in it for the joy went away because it became too business-like.  Those in it for reasonably-priced collectibles went away because prices increased so much.  Thus, not nearly as many people post in the SS forum as they once did. 

2 things I'd like to clarify:

1) I picked the creators in my example at random.  I haven't had anything signed by these 3 in several years and I haven't kept up with who is actually handling their submissions at this time.  It may be 1 company.  It may be 3.  My aim isn't to single out one company. 

2) I have no problems with people sending books to facilitators to get books done.  This has gone on for years and is a reasonable way to get books done when you can't attend a show yourself.  The issue is not sending books to facilitators, the issue is facilitators pursuing exclusive agreements whereby all Signature Series books signed by a creator must go through a certain facilitator's hands.  This is the biggest factor that led to the Sig Room becoming a ghost town. 

This also used to be the center of the Universe for SS collecting. If you monitored what was going down here, you had your finger on the pulse of the entire market. Now Facebook, Instagram and other social media options have dwarfed the Sig Room in terms of sheer number of participants, books being done, prices paid etc. Technology sort of passed the Sig Room by. It will always be near and dear to my heart. Lots of friendships started right here.

8 hours ago, seanfingh said:

This also used to be the center of the Universe for SS collecting. If you monitored what was going down here, you had your finger on the pulse of the entire market. Now Facebook, Instagram and other social media options have dwarfed the Sig Room in terms of sheer number of participants, books being done, prices paid etc. Technology sort of passed the Sig Room by. It will always be near and dear to my heart. Lots of friendships started right here.

Most business seems to have moved over to group PM threads as well.

23 hours ago, Turtle said:

The BOTB threads started to dwindle because people got so bogged down in the rules.  Was the book nominated?  Is the book eligible as soon as it's created?  Does it have to be in-hand?  How long before a challenge could occur?  It really just got to be too much for something that should have simply been a fun thread.  That's why I stepped away, anyway.

Why has the Signature Room died down as much as it has in the years since the BOTB threads?  In my mind, the main contributing factor is how people/companies started creating exclusive Signature Series agreements with certain creators.  People used to find out when their desired creator would be at a show, meet up with friends in line, share stories, get books done, and then share the experience here in the SS room.  There used to be live updates for various conventions, big or small.  There were always convention reports with pictures from most major shows.  There were publicized meet-ups and the place felt like a community.  Now?  If you want Dave Finch, see this person.  If you want Ed McGuinness, see this person.  If you want Stan Lee, see this person.  The personal element largely went away while the prices climbed as the middle men needed a cut of the books that went through their hands.  It became less about meeting creators and sharing enthusiasm for your desired hobby and more about just paying someone to get your books signed.  Those in it for the joy went away because it became too business-like.  Those in it for reasonably-priced collectibles went away because prices increased so much.  Thus, not nearly as many people post in the SS forum as they once did. 

2 things I'd like to clarify:

1) I picked the creators in my example at random.  I haven't had anything signed by these 3 in several years and I haven't kept up with who is actually handling their submissions at this time.  It may be 1 company.  It may be 3.  My aim isn't to single out one company. 

2) I have no problems with people sending books to facilitators to get books done.  This has gone on for years and is a reasonable way to get books done when you can't attend a show yourself.  The issue is not sending books to facilitators, the issue is facilitators pursuing exclusive agreements whereby all Signature Series books signed by a creator must go through a certain facilitator's hands.  This is the biggest factor that led to the Sig Room becoming a ghost town. 

This was a good post. I just remember this section was so active back then. Then it just stopped. One of the reasons I visited the boards was for the sig forum . I know a lot of collectors share on instagram now, but the forums are just more personal imo. 

I miss seeing all the sketches in this space too.  It's fun to see some of the same guys post here though!  (thumbsu

I actually learned a lot through the Signature Series group here and practiced on how to ask artists for sketches in this space.  Now I'm working with Rahsan Ekedal on our own graphic novel titled Soldiers Unknown.  It's going to be published this summer!  :whatthe:     It's a story about Native Yurok soldiers in the Meuse-Argonne battle in World War One.  I've shared one of Rahsan's work in progress pages here.  My thanks to all you fellas who I talked with for years here!  You all encouraged me.  :cloud9:

Page 37.jpg

I think the forums died down a bit because a lot of collectors just moved to Facebook groups or Instagram because it is easier there, especially for mobile users.  I mean up until they re-did the forums a year or so ago they were almost unuseable by mobile device. 

Edited by bigcbass

On 2/24/2018 at 3:08 PM, Nino_013 said:

About 50/50 liked it or didn't like it, but yeah they considered it spamming the thread. I think the issue in general of talk going down is because the autograph market is slowing down and the number of people getting sketch covers done is going down. As well as some facilitators taking advantage of the group in which comics and money sent in were in some degree stolen that involved some high profile artists being taken advantage of as well. All that was happening around the same time too much drama. That is what caused the talk ti go down