• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variants within DC Newsstand Issues
3 3

81 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

I recently came in to a ton of newsstands from someone who worked pulping them for B&N so this has been all super informative as a lot of info is hard to find on them. Are you still trying to complete your set? I’d be happy to check my stuff. There was a ton of DC

200C1A7B-AF8E-4A05-9986-405FD411704B.jpeg

114C863C-23A0-4E7F-847D-855081DA0A4F.jpeg

Holy cow! Those Jocks! $$$$ congrats! 

6 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

I recently came in to a ton of newsstands from someone who worked pulping them for B&N so this has been all super informative as a lot of info is hard to find on them. Are you still trying to complete your set? I’d be happy to check my stuff. There was a ton of DC

200C1A7B-AF8E-4A05-9986-405FD411704B.jpeg

Yeah you should probably go ahead and bag and board that TMNT 1...

20 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

I recently came in to a ton of newsstands from someone who worked pulping them for B&N

These clearly weren't pulped.  Did B&N allow the purchase of books that should have been pulped? hm

5 minutes ago, Lifesuggs said:
5 hours ago, valiantman said:

These clearly weren't pulped.  Did B&N allow the purchase of books that should have been pulped? hm

Garbage man who draws rescued them

It's likely that there's something not completely legal about the circumstances. Publishers issue credits for "pulped" newsstands which are unsold and the ownership of the books returns to the publisher.  The publisher can burn them, trash them, donate them to charity, or whatever, as long as it is the publisher's choice what to do with their property.  If the publisher believes the books to be removed from the market, then without the publisher's permission, I believe it is illegal to create any profits with their property.

That said, I'm glad the books were rescued... just... be aware.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's likely that there's something not completely legal about the circumstances. Publishers issue credits for "pulped" newsstands which are unsold and the ownership of the books returns to the publisher.  The publisher can burn them, trash them, donate them to charity, or whatever, as long as it is the publisher's choice what to do with their property.  If the publisher believes the books to be removed from the market, then without the publisher's permission, I believe it is illegal to create any profits with their property.

Well, I bought books off a guy with a good story. Can’t actually verify the provenance so I feel like I’ll get by.

Either way I got a really interesting collection

Just now, Lifesuggs said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Well, I bought books off a guy with a good story. Can’t actually verify the provenance so I feel like I’ll get by.

Either way I got a really interesting collection

Definitely a good collection, and I doubt if any publisher is going to care about this volume of books.  The industry, however, does have a history of bigger problems related to similar situations... supposedly "pulped" books turning up in warehouses by the pallet load.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Definitely a good collection, and I doubt if any publisher is going to care about this volume of books.  The industry, however, does have a history of bigger problems related to similar situations... supposedly "pulped" books turning up in warehouses by the pallet load.

That's good to know :foryou:

Were there repercussions?

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's good to know :foryou:

Were there repercussions?

No.  Chuck turned them into his empire.  But even he had to admit it was legally dangerous, and he got "permission" from the VP of Publishing at Marvel. 

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg70.html