• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variants within DC Newsstand Issues
3 3

81 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

I have yet to see Action 252 Millennium newsstand. 

I've never seen the JLA #1 Millennium newsstand 

Funny how the mi-1990s are now feeling like ancient history for old timers like me. Look at Superman's mullet on the cover below... business up front but party in the back.   Heck... that was more than 20 years ago, dagblammit!

Whippersnappers won't know the joy of the 90s. Mullet Superman awesome..  Congrats on the #8 I was thinking the same on that one that somewhere a Barnes and Noble would show up. I have seen that post and remember searching my local many many times for a lot of issues as well as the stickered issues.. I was curious about the millennium as if you had found one was hoping to see images. So still keeping an eye out for those.  Still have to agree that it seems as though they may not have produced newsstand versions of some of them. Still an amazing feat to put together the Collection you have assembled.  

On 7/30/2019 at 1:33 AM, Braddoskas said:

This was a cool read. thanks for documenting these. Are there any guestimates on what the newsstand % from 2000 up was until they ended in 17?

This is just an educated guess... but here it is.

From about 2000 thru 2003, the newsstand issues are pretty easily found if you work hard at it for a few years.   I'm going to guess that there is usually 1 newsstand issue to be found for every 10 to 40 direct sales issues during that time frame.  There are exceptions, but Waldenbooks and newsstands were still selling a lot of newsstand issues up until about that time.   Then Waldenbooks started folding, and a lot of newsstands stopped carrying comic books.

From about 2004 through about 2012 the newsstand issues are hard to find.  More like 1 newsstand issues for every 50 to 100 direct sales issues.   I've got friends who have been looking for some newsstand issues in this time frame for years and still not found them.

Around 2012, newsstand awareness really came of age, and I think a lot of people started buying and keeping newsstand issues for speculative purposes.  For example, someone from Mile High Comics told me they had an arrangement with a couple of their customers, who would buy them from Barnes and Nobles and then bring them to Mile High for re-sale.  So newsstands from this time frame are usually easily found (in spite of the fact that ratio is still more like 1 in 50 to 1 in 100) but those speculators seem to want a lot of money for them.  However, there are a few cases from this time frame where distribution was limited.  I recall a few newsstand issues toward the end of their run that could not be found except in a few Barnes and Nobles stores.  So I had to send friends to those Barnes and Nobles stores that had them in hand, because my local Barnes and Noble in Columbus GA did not.  Those newsies are really hard to find.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Great thread!

I mainly collect Marvel Newsstands from 80s but have a few older and newer DC newsstands as well.

So it seems that there have been no DC newsstands produced since 10/17?

No wonder I haven’t seen them at B&N in the last year!

Lifesuggs...great find!

Selling any extra New 52 #1’s?

To anyone on thread-

I'm looking for 2 DC New 52 books in NM/M shape- I used to have them until FedEx lost them 6 yrs ago as they were supposed to be shipped to CGC:

Catwoman 13

Detective Comics 15

The Direct Editions have the die-cut outer cover and say ‘Direct Sales’ in UPC box, the Newsstand Editions don’t state that or have outer die-cut cover.

(Fedex had lost others in the same box as well, but found other copies of the others in last 6 yrs.)

Thanks!

Edited by Lookin4Newsstands

On 11/5/2019 at 9:36 AM, Lookin4Newsstands said:

Great thread!

I mainly collect Marvel Newsstands from 80s but have a few older and newer DC newsstands as well.

So it seems that there have been no DC newsstands produced since 10/17?

No wonder I haven’t seen them at B&N in the last year!

Lifesuggs...great find!

Selling any extra New 52 #1’s?

To anyone on thread-

I'm looking for 2 DC New 52 books in NM/M shape- I used to have them until FedEx lost them 6 yrs ago as they were supposed to be shipped to CGC:

Catwoman 13

Detective Comics 15

The Direct Editions have the die-cut outer cover and say ‘Direct Sales’ in UPC box, the Newsstand Editions don’t state that or have outer die-cut cover.

(Fedex had lost others in the same box as well, but found other copies of the others in last 6 yrs.)

Thanks!

Should've tagged me didn't see this.

Let me know what you're looking for, I have.... a lot. Have a lot of the #1s. If can check and see if I still have the Tec and Catwoman you mentioned.

Just sold one of those Tec 880s about an hour ago, so that was fun.

11 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

Should've tagged me didn't see this.

Let me know what you're looking for, I have.... a lot. Have a lot of the #1s. If can check and see if I still have the Tec and Catwoman you mentioned.

Just sold one of those Tec 880s about an hour ago, so that was fun.

Thanks- is there a way to take without quoting?

- the Catwoman 13 and Tec 15 newsstands are the ones on most looking for in solid NM/M shape, as mine were lost through FedEx, and trying to replace those.

- if you have any of these New 52 #1 newsstands in solid NM/M shape, would be interested: 

Batgirl, Batman, Catwoman, Detective Comics, Justice League, Wonder Woman.

- also may be interested in later newsstand issues of Batgirl, Batman, Catwoman, Justice League in same condition.

- in case you have marvel newsstands from same era in same condition, may be interested in some ASM 500-700.

Thanks!

Edited by Lookin4Newsstands

On 11/7/2019 at 9:53 AM, Lookin4Newsstands said:

Thanks- is there a way to take without quoting?

- the Catwoman 13 and Tec 15 newsstands are the ones on most looking for in solid NM/M shape, as mine were lost through FedEx, and trying to replace those.

- if you have any of these New 52 #1 newsstands in solid NM/M shape, would be interested: 

Batgirl, Batman, Catwoman, Detective Comics, Justice League, Wonder Woman.

- also may be interested in later newsstand issues of Batgirl, Batman, Catwoman, Justice League in same condition.

- in case you have marvel newsstands from same era in same condition, may be interested in some ASM 500-700.

Thanks!

I have to check on 13 and 15, but otherwise I have all of that, including JL 1 3rd print newsstand.

as far as ASM I have a few random in the 500s but a bunch from around 650 and up.

i should dump a ton on eBay and throw off all the meticulously collected statistics

On 11/13/2019 at 12:23 AM, Lifesuggs said:

I have to check on 13 and 15, but otherwise I have all of that, including JL 1 3rd print newsstand.

as far as ASM I have a few random in the 500s but a bunch from around 650 and up.

i should dump a ton on eBay and throw off all the meticulously collected statistics

Are all of those in solid NM/M condition (no spine stress marks, rips, creases, etc on front or back cover)? If so, shoot me a message w prices-

let me know which ASM in that solid grade as well- interested in 500, 698-700, and more in between.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:21 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I'm guessing no one has every found a large stash of newsstand issue like this before.... very unusual.   I wish we know more about it.

I found a very similar group at a convention about a month ago. For $100, I got 145 newsstand edition Marvels and DCs, all published in the same three months of 2013. There were a lot more that I didn't buy but I didn't know that I really wanted 10 copies of Superior Spider-Man #10. Five copies was enough.

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Well, not exactly I guess.  I've never seen the newsstand variant of the Millennium editions of Action Comics 252 and Justice League (1987 series) #1.  Those should exist.  I'm also still looking for a handful of DC Universe and Mark Jeweler variants in those titles.  I suspect the quest for variants will never really end... lol.

I’m willing to believe if you found them, you being you would find “something else” missing yes:)

Congratulations on the recent finds buddy:)

By the way, whereabouts in GA do you live?

V.

2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

After approx 7 years of intense searching, I found all newsstand issues in the titles of Batman, Superman, Detective, and Action Comics, including New 52 and Rebirth.   Not a single month was ever skipped from the time they started in Oct 1980 until they were last produced in Oct 2017.  I managed to get all of them (approx 1600) in high grade except two (with are more like FN condition).   About one year ago, I was able to upgrade one of those issues that was in FN condition. Just this morning, a high-grade newsstand variant of Detective 813 came up on ebay, which I immediately snapped up.  With that purchase, all of my newsstand issues are now in VF or better.  The quest has been completed!

Well, not exactly I guess.  I've never seen the newsstand variant of the Millennium editions of Action Comics 252 and Justice League (1987 series) #1.  Those should exist.  I'm also still looking for a handful of DC Universe and Mark Jeweler variants in those titles.  I suspect the quest for variants will never really end... lol.

Congratulations! That is quite a feat. I still keep an eye out for those Millenniums, but like you have not seen to date.

So what is your next quest?  ( if you do not mind me asking?

On 2/7/2021 at 11:04 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Congratulations! That is quite a feat. I still keep an eye out for those Millenniums, but like you have not seen to date.

So what is your next quest?  ( if you do not mind me asking?

The main thing is to find the rest of the Mark Jeweler variants in the titles of Batman (4 missing), Detective (2 missing), Superman (1 missing), Action (1 missing) and JLA (1 missing).  I think it would be nice to say I found all of them for at least one title.  I'm pretty sure that will happen in the next year or two.

I think it is also nice to have been able to say, for the record, that DC's printer never missed putting out a newsstand variant in those five titles.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 2/7/2021 at 9:39 AM, Vfactor1 said:

I’m willing to believe if you found them, you being you would find “something else” missing yes:)

Congratulations on the recent finds buddy:)

By the way, whereabouts in GA do you live?

V.

Columbus GA.  How about you?   p.s.  If anyone on these boards ever finds themselves in Columbus, I'd love to show you my collection.  At least half the joy of collecting is sharing with others.  

Edited by Cpt Kirk

10 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

The main thing is to find the rest of the Mark Jeweler variants in the titles of Batman (4 missing), Detective (2 missing), Superman (1 missing), Action (1 missing) and JLA (1 missing).  I think it would be nice to say I found all of them for at least one title.  I'm pretty sure that will happen in the next year or two.

I think it is also nice to have been able to say, for the record, that DC's printer never missed putting out a newsstand variant in those five titles.

That's awesome and look at it this way, less to search everyday, every hour :whee:

Still cool, and hope it happens  :)

2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Speaking of those, I would like an updated list of what you are searching for to narrow down my added BOLO list, if you do not mind. (thumbsu