• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variants within DC Newsstand Issues
3 3

81 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

....which means they were reported as unsold...which means DC didn't get paid.....

It is probably not practical, but I guess Lifesugggs could send DC a note and let them know he will send DC the amount of money they are due for each comic book that he decides to keep or sell.

4 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:
16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

....which means they were reported as unsold...which means DC didn't get paid.....

It is probably not practical, but I guess Lifesugggs could send DC a note and let them know he will send DC the amount of money they are due for each comic book that he decides to keep or sell.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible. ;) I think the responsibility lies with the person who was supposed to "pulp" them. It's fascinating to me that books that didn't sell when they came out are now desirable and sought after. Isn't that always the case...?

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm pretty sure that's not possible. ;) I think the responsibility lies with the person who was supposed to "pulp" them. It's fascinating to me that books that didn't sell when they came out are now desirable and sought after. Isn't that always the case...?

For sure.   I think it is interesting to know what happened to the Barnes and Nobles overstock.  I did not realize until now that they actually got shredded.   I'm guessing no one has every found a large stash of newsstand issue like this before.... very unusual.   I wish we know more about it.   

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

For sure.   I think it is interesting to know what happened to the Barnes and Nobles overstock.  I did not realize until now that they actually got shredded.   I'm guessing no one has every found a large stash of newsstand issue like this before.... very unusual.   I wish we know more about it.   

I guarantee that many stashes of Newsstands like this have been found before. Plus many larger ones. The real question is just how many there have been and what they contained.

The thing is that most people don't go around in public talking about the property they acquired under questionable (at best) circumstances. Chuck wasn't worried about any consequences when he finally told the story of the Mile High II buy, but that's the exception.

1 hour ago, Tony Squawk said:

I worked as a Receiver at a Barnes and Noble retail store from 1999 to 2006. We returned comics the same way we returned all magazines, which was to rip off and send back the front cover (not just the mastheads). All magazines were then "remainder" copies and we were allowed to take whatever magazines we wanted. You would not have found fully intact comics as pictured above in our garbage dumpster.

Good info! :foryou:

21 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The thing is that most people don't go around in public talking about the property they acquired under questionable (at best) circumstances. Chuck wasn't worried about any consequences when he finally told the story of the Mile High II buy, but that's the exception.

I bought some books of a guy on Facebook that are over five years old. I like how everyone tries to make it sound so devious.

If we want to get technical if B&N sold these books to the guy that would be against the rules. Rescuing from the trash is legal. Supreme Court California v Greenwood, the gist, no expectation of privacy to garbage , garbage public domain blah blah blah

With that said, the point here was try to find out more about Newsstand vs Direct editions. There’s not a lot of info available out there and this is one of the few places discussing them.

Good info from TonySquawk. The books are about 5 years after your work date I am curious if there was a change with the procedure possibly due to decrease in inventory or digital backend development. What was the comic stock/selection like while you were there?

7 minutes ago, Tony Squawk said:

You would not find comics like that in a B&N dumpster unless the Receiver was doing something fireable and/or illegal.

I work for an inventory company and many of the accounts, especially for periodicals and cell phone accessories, work on a SBT system. They only pay for them when sold, store carries more inventory as they are not responsible for them, vendor handles merching and replenishment.

one of my accounts I’ve gotten some cool books off of them as when the display date was up they were just told to chuck them. Like sports tributes etc

7 hours ago, Lifesuggs said:

I bought some books of a guy on Facebook that are over five years old. I like how everyone tries to make it sound so devious.

If we want to get technical if B&N sold these books to the guy that would be against the rules. Rescuing from the trash is legal. Supreme Court California v Greenwood, the gist, no expectation of privacy to garbage , garbage public domain blah blah blah

With that said, the point here was try to find out more about Newsstand vs Direct editions. There’s not a lot of info available out there and this is one of the few places discussing them.

Good info from TonySquawk. The books are about 5 years after your work date I am curious if there was a change with the procedure possibly due to decrease in inventory or digital backend development. What was the comic stock/selection like while you were there?

Well I am really glad you found these and brought this info the boards.   To me, you have lent some valuable insight as to what was happening to the B&N comic books that did not sell.   And you have un-earthed some comic books that people have been looking for a long time, myself included.    (thumbsu  (worship)  

On 12/6/2018 at 8:40 PM, Cpt Kirk said:
On 12/6/2018 at 1:28 PM, Lifesuggs said:

Well I am really glad you found these and brought this info the boards.   To me, you have lent some valuable insight as to what was happening to the B&N comic books that did not sell.   And you have un-earthed some comic books that people have been looking for a long time, myself included.    (thumbsu  (worship)  

Yes, regardless of how, the fact is that these books were SAVED, and that's the important part.

4 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

To wrap up this topic, I should mention that I have now found every single newsstand that ever occurred in the titles of Batman, Superman, Detective, and Action Comics, including New 52 and Rebirth.   Not a single month was ever skipped from the time they started in Oct 1980 until they were last produced in Oct 2017.  I managed to get all of them (approx 1600) in high grade except two (with are more like FN condition).   It took about 7 years to find them all.  

I appreciate the effort that went into it, if not the books themselves. You're my kind of person Captain. Well done :golfclap:

To wrap up this topic, I should mention that I have now found every single newsstand that ever occurred in the titles of Batman, Superman, Detective, and Action Comics, including New 52 and Rebirth.   Not a single month was ever skipped from the time they started in Oct 1980 until they were last produced in Oct 2017.  I managed to get all of them (approx 1600) in high grade except two (with are more like FN condition).   It took about 7 years to find them all.  

(worship)

Most Impressive Indeed Sir!

Kudos to you!

Not a single month was ever skipped from the time they started in Oct 1980 until they were last produced in Oct 2017.

It would be shocking if an issue had been skipped.

Congrats on completing your quest!

9 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So you finally landed the Superman New 52 #8 and that Action Comics 252 Millennium Edition ?  Congratulations ! Waiting on a shipment now and may have found an upgrade for your Superman 553.

Yes, I got the Superman New 52 #8 newsstand from a dude on the boards who received a bunch of newsstand variants that were rescued by his buddy from the Barnes and Noble shredders.  He did a posting on it, which was interesting.

I have yet to see Action 252 Millennium newsstand.  I'm beginning to wonder if there were a few of those Millennium editions that did not get printed in the newsstand format.   For example, I've never seen the JLA #1 Millennium newsstand issue in newsstand format except for a couple copies that have the official-looking newsstand stamp on them.   See photos below.   That makes me think that a few of these Millenniums never got printed with a newsstand bar code.   It would be neat if someone found an Action 252 Millennium with newsstand bar code on it.

Side note:   Funny how the mi-1990s are now feeling like ancient history for old timers like me. Look at Superman's mullet on the cover below... business up front but party in the back.   Heck... that was more than 20 years ago, dagblammit!

IMG_0981.thumb.jpg.fd92ea9bc984da05bb7e15889c41b45d.jpgIMG_0982.thumb.jpg.d510214be19ed91c26e5bb0ccd7d018b.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Yes, I got the Superman New 52 #8 newsstand from a dude on the boards who received a bunch of newsstand variants that were rescued by his buddy from the Barnes and Noble shredders.  He did a posting on it, which was interesting.

I have yet to see Action 252 Millennium newsstand.  I'm beginning to wonder if there were a few of those Millennium editions that did not get printed in the newsstand format.   For example, I've never seen the JLA #1 Millennium newsstand issue in newsstand format except for a couple copies that have the official-looking newsstand stamp on them.   See photos below.   That makes me think that a few of these Millenniums never got printed with a newsstand bar code.   It would be neat if someone found an Action 252 Millennium with newsstand bar code on it.

Side note:   Funny how the mi-1990s are now feeling like ancient history for old timers like me. Look at Superman's mullet on the cover below... business up front but party in the back.   Heck... that was more than 20 years ago, dagblammit!

IMG_0981.thumb.jpg.fd92ea9bc984da05bb7e15889c41b45d.jpgIMG_0982.thumb.jpg.d510214be19ed91c26e5bb0ccd7d018b.jpg

Thats not a stamp. Thats a barcode sticker that a store put on the cover.

10 hours ago, Second Blight said:

Thats not a stamp. Thats a barcode sticker that a store put on the cover.

You are right.   I should have said newsstand sticker.   But I believe the sticker was placed on those comic books by the printing company or distributor.  I've now seen three of these stickers from three different locations on this JLA #1 Millennium edition.   If the stickers were placed on there by a mom-and-pop store or pharmacy, I believe the stickers would have varying appearances.

Edited by Cpt Kirk