• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Combined Best Graphic Novels of 2017!

8 posts in this topic

Hi all. 

I went through every website that did a 'top comics of 2017' type list (136 of them) and combined all the lists together in an excel spreadsheet to see which books got mentioned the most. 

The results are here: http://jamiecoville.com/blog/blog/2018/02/10/the-combined-best-graphic-novels-of-2017/

20 hours ago, Jamie Coville said:

Hi all. 

I went through every website that did a 'top comics of 2017' type list (136 of them) and combined all the lists together in an excel spreadsheet to see which books got mentioned the most. 

The results are here: http://jamiecoville.com/blog/blog/2018/02/10/the-combined-best-graphic-novels-of-2017/

I have seen My Favorite Thing Is Monsters  in B&N.  In fact, I thumbed through it several times.  I have it on my want list.  It looks great.  The drawings are on what looks like loose leaf paper.  Just good stuff.

I have read King's Batman and it is truly atrocious.  I probably will never purchase a new Batman book again after reading that piece of garbage.

On 2/10/2018 at 10:29 PM, Jamie Coville said:

Hi all. 

One thing that stands out is that Tom King dominates the best super hero stories now as best writer.

His Vision was something else.

15 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing that stands out is that Tom King dominates the best super hero stories now as best writer.

Yeah, Tom King is very popular now. 2 Reviewers just said "anything Tom King writes." 

On 2/12/2018 at 11:15 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Never read anything else by him but Batman.   Aside from content, I find the writing just poor and transparent.  Nothing of sustenance which makes me question the read level of today's comic buyer.  Sorry, I don't want to put anyone down but repeated mantra phrases that transition to long drawn out inner monologues is all this writer has in him.   He has brushed off some old Batman rogue which was fun but he lacks to the skill to create any unique characterizations for them.  They lay as flat on the page as the drawings themselves.

I can tick off points that he has done on the Batman series, that has truly questions my comic collecting future.  Even my DC loyalty at point is very shaky.  

9 hours ago, nocutename said:

Never read anything else by him but Batman.   Aside from content, I find the writing just poor and transparent.  Nothing of sustenance which makes me question the read level of today's comic buyer.  Sorry, I don't want to put anyone down but repeated mantra phrases that transition to long drawn out inner monologues is all this writer has in him.   He has brushed off some old Batman rogue which was fun but he lacks to the skill to create any unique characterizations for them.  They lay as flat on the page as the drawings themselves.

I can tick off points that he has done on the Batman series, that has truly questions my comic collecting future.  Even my DC loyalty at point is very shaky.  

Can't tell you about his Batman work because I haven't read his Batman work,but would recommend his Mister Miracle and Omega Men. They were very well done and gave a new twist to them. His Vision was also pretty good.

Now with you getting upset with DC maybe you need a break from Batman and Superman?  I know I find DC Comics far more interesting when they are not about the big two.

Let's face it the big two have been overdone. How many times can one read a Joker vs Batman or Superman vs Luthor story?

For me it got old fast.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur