• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does mycomicshop take so many ridiculous consignments?
2 2

78 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, newshane said:

I'm not sure why the consignments are a problem.

MCS does not set the price on consignment items. That's done by the seller.

Are you going to hold eBay accountable for the prices people set on items?

Surely not.

At the end of the day, as stated previously in this thread, it's up to the shopper to investigate the true market value of an item. I don't get the hate here.

ebay is NOT a comic book dealer themselves.  If you're going to hold ebay accountable, you might as well hold the internet service provider, the USPS or FedEx or whomever, and a whole bevy of other entities that took part in the item getting from Point A to Point B responsible as well.

21 minutes ago, FSF said:

ebay is NOT a comic book dealer themselves.  If you're going to hold ebay accountable, you might as well hold the internet service provider, the USPS or FedEx or whomever, and a whole bevy of other entities that took part in the item getting from Point A to Point B responsible as well.

The only person I hold accountable for setting the price of a consignment item is the owner of the book. Once again, MCS has nothing to do with setting the price of the consignment item, so I'm not sure why you're holding them accountable. (shrug)

I've seen many ridiculously priced consignment items, on MCS and other sites as well.

I simply laugh and move on. Doesn't have any impact on my shopping.

10 minutes ago, newshane said:

The only person I hold accountable for setting the price of a consignment item is the owner of the book. Once again, MCS has nothing to do with setting the price of the consignment item, so I'm not sure why you're holding them accountable. (shrug)

I'm not holding them accountable for anything.  I'm suggesting they reconsider their policy on their consignment business model.  Ultimately and obviously, they can do whatever they want.  This is a comic book forum talking about comic book matters and I am posting my thoughts on such a matter.  No one has to agree with it.  But it still stands that:

1) Their site is very laborious to look at because of the incessant amount of overpriced material.  Now they might not care and others here might consider it "fun" to spend their time window shopping overpriced material, I don't know.  I guess I just consider it a complete waste of time and I can't be the only one.

2) They are allowing anonymous sellers to use MCS's reputation to take advantage of suckers.  Sure, we could just have the viewpoint of "buyer beware" but I for one think that hobby participants, especially those that yield such influence as MCS does, should consider the ramifications of allowing consignors to take advantage of the unsuspecting.  To be clear, I have never been ripped off personally.  And I consider MCS to be very reputable and indispensable so it just surprises all the more that they would engage in the model that they do.  

2 minutes ago, FSF said:

Ultimately and obviously, they can do whatever they want. 

Yes.

2 minutes ago, FSF said:

This is a comic book forum talking about comic book matters and I am posting my thoughts on such a matter.  No one has to agree with it. 

Absolutely correct.

3 minutes ago, FSF said:

1) Their site is very laborious to look at because of the incessant amount of overpriced material. 

I just don't see it that way. Doesn't seem any more laborious to browse when compared to sites ran by the competition. (shrug)

4 minutes ago, FSF said:

2) I for one think that hobby participants, especially those that yield such influence as MCS does, should consider the ramifications of allowing consignors to take advantage of the unsuspecting. 

Heaven forbid that the consumer takes the time to research a product and determine a fair price before making a purchase. As a consumer, I never expect a corporation or business to babysit me. If someone tries to sell a base model Honda Civic for $40,000 and someone actually bites, I really don't have much sympathy for the buyer, assuming they aren't mentally impaired or handicapped in someway. I'm all for taking responsibility for my own purchases. I don't expect MCS to act as my nanny.

1 minute ago, newshane said:

Yes.

Absolutely correct.

I just don't see it that way. Doesn't seem any more laborious to browse when compared to sites ran by the competition. (shrug)

Heaven forbid that the consumer takes the time to research a product and determine a fair price before making a purchase. As a consumer, I never expect a corporation or business to babysit me. If someone tries to sell a base model Honda Civic for $40,000 and someone actually bites, I really don't have much sympathy for the buyer, assuming they aren't mentally impaired or handicapped in someway. I'm all for taking responsibility for my own purchases. I don't expect MCS to act as my nanny.

That's perhaps because you're looking at this through the prism of only your experiences.  That you have a lot of knowledge about comics and/or that you have a lot of time to learn and keep up on them.  Some people don't but still want to participate.  I can tell you that the exact same service for CPAs and attorneys can run $100K with one firm and $500K with another. I've personally seen it time and time again.  Now if you spent $500k and later found out that you could have spent $100K or even $300K, I'm guessing it's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth and you'll probably look for another firm immediately.  There a lot of nuisances that take a long time to learn with comics.  While the buyer indeed does have the ultimate responsibility for his or her purchases, it's not much to ask that the playing field is as fair as reasonably possible.  At least that's how I feel.  I'm not one to want to squeeze ever dollar out of every transaction, especially in a hobby setting.

2 minutes ago, FSF said:

That you have a lot of knowledge about comics and/or that you have a lot of time to learn and keep up on them.  Some people don't but still want to participate. 

I have no pity for someone who half wallows into an expensive hobby with absolutely no desire to research the market first. If you don't have time to learn, why on earth would you have the time to buy? Furthermore, why would you expect to survive the experience unscathed?

3 minutes ago, FSF said:

I can tell you that the exact same service for CPAs and attorneys can run $100K with one firm and $500K with another. I've personally seen it time and time again.  Now if you spent $500k and later found out that you could have spent $100K or even $300K, I'm guessing it's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth and you'll probably look for another firm immediately. 

No. I would have researched first. With me, there is no "later found out." Do people really buy services and products without shopping around first? Maybe they do. I'm glad I'm not among them.

5 minutes ago, FSF said:

While the buyer indeed does have the ultimate responsibility for his or her purchases, it's not much to ask that the playing field is as fair as reasonably possible. 

The first clause in your sentence says it all. As for the next part of your sentence, the field is as level as it gets in a free-market. You don't have to buy anything. If you overpay, it's your own fault. Go somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

I have no pity for someone who half wallows into an expensive hobby with absolutely no desire to research the market first. If you don't have time to learn, why on earth would you have the time to buy? Furthermore, why would you expect to survive the experience unscathed?

No. I would have researched first. With me, there is no "later found out." Do people really buy services and products without shopping around first? Maybe they do. I'm glad I'm not among them.

The first clause in your sentence says it all. As for the next part of your sentence, the field is as level as it gets in a free-market. You don't have to buy anything. If you overpay, it's your own fault. Go somewhere else.

I didn't do a very god job of articulating what I'm trying to say.  In the case of the professional services, it's something that moves so quick (like when trying to file for an iPO) and you get so much smoke blown up your by slick talking attorneys and accountants and investment bankers, and it's isn't anywhere near simplistic as comparison shopping for a Honda Civic, that no matter how smart you are and no matter how much you're willing to "research", there's a VERY good chance you're going get screwed.  And as simple as the comic book world maybe to you and me, it can be daunting to some.  As a finance person myself, I can't tell you how many brilliant doctors, scientists, engineers, lawyers, etc. I've met who couldn't grasp the simplest financial concepts because it wasn't their thing, even though I knew it the minute I learned it, and these folks are smarter than me.

20 minutes ago, FSF said:

I didn't do a very god job of articulating what I'm trying to say.  In the case of the professional services, it's something that moves so quick (like when trying to file for an iPO) and you get so much smoke blown up your by slick talking attorneys and accountants and investment bankers, and it's isn't anywhere near simplistic as comparison shopping for a Honda Civic, that no matter how smart you are and no matter how much you're willing to "research", there's a VERY good chance you're going get screwed.  And as simple as the comic book world maybe to you and me, it can be daunting to some.  As a finance person myself, I can't tell you how many brilliant doctors, scientists, engineers, lawyers, etc. I've met who couldn't grasp the simplest financial concepts because it wasn't their thing, even though I knew it the minute I learned it, and these folks are smarter than me.

This all makes sense and I get the complaint of the op about mcs, but i don't agree with it. But there has to be room for growth within the collectibles market. If no one pays higher then prices will be stagnant. Yes demand makes a rush of buyers who no longer care that the higher price is higher, if that's all that is left after a high demand spike. That's what seller's are hoping for...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I don't mind mcs, but I won't shop there either probably. They are located in Texas and so am I, so I would have to pay sales tax....so you still get any items cheaper than me lol and they have tons of stuff. 

I remember feeling overwhelmed by it all when I got back into collecting. My LCS owner finally broke down and said look there is no comic that your going to buy and the next day be a millionaire! It really stuck with me, you got to know when to hold them and know when to fold or walk away. Collect what you love and pay what your willing. Mcs probably started on scraps and to say it is impossible in this current market to find a payable price is selling yourself short. :foryou:

1 minute ago, kav said:

-But how can i make money on comics? @oakman29

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I remember feeling overwhelmed by it all when I got back into collecting. My LCS owner finally broke down and said look there is no comic that your going to buy and the next day be a millionaire! It really stuck with me, you got to know when to hold them and know when to fold or walk away. Collect what you love and pay what your willing. Mcs probably started on scraps and to say it is impossible in this current market to find a payable price is selling yourself short. :foryou:

:hi::shy:

I just don't pay the outrageously priced stuff any mind.  The seller sets the price, ALTHOUGH, I'm surprised that MCS doesn't put a "cap" of sorts on consignment offerings.  Like maybe 2X FMV.  In the end it's their business model; they seem to survive in the face of some of the asking prices being embarrassingly high, and it seems to be working.  Bully for MCS.  

I'll take their grading any time.  Every book I've bought raw from them has come back higher than they graded the book.  I bought a handful of pre-110 Strange Tales between from them, all of which they had graded at 4.5, and had priced appropriately. All books came back 6.0-6.5.  

As someone who has consigned comics to MCS in the past, I think their consignment service works great from a consignor viewpoint (they do scans, pump your book on Ebay, pack it for shipping, deal with customer complaints, etc).

When you first go to set the selling price on your comic (mine were all CGC graded) they provide detailed pricing information of all recent GPA and MCS sales for the issue. If you elect to then set your price waaaaay higher that is your right as a consignor, but my guess is you will be waiting a long time for a sucker to come along. In the event you do eventually feel you've priced it too high, MCS encourages you to drop the price by offering to relist it as New in stock if you lower the price by 5% or more (MCS makes their money off commission - they want to sell the comic just as much as you do). You also have the option at any time of placing your consigned comic in their weekly or Prime auctions.

I have had comics that have sat for months on MCS at the lowest price for the grade (I check regularly on Ebay and MCS to make sure no one is undercutting me) with no takers. Non-keys can be hard to move. I then put it up for auction, the comic sells (usually for about 20% lower than I asked - similar to how sellers discount their books here to move them). And then, in some instances, the comic has ended up immediately relisted back on MCS for double my original asking price! Those comics are still there...

My point is consignors can list their comics at any price they want (just like on Ebay) but consignors who want to sell their stuff have to - and are strongly encouraged by MCS to - set a fair price.

4 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

As someone who has consigned comics to MCS in the past, I think their consignment service works great from a consignor viewpoint (they do scans, pump your book on Ebay, pack it for shipping, deal with customer complaints, etc).

When you first go to set the selling price on your comic (mine were all CGC graded) they provide detailed pricing information of all recent GPA and MCS sales for the issue. If you elect to then set your price waaaaay higher that is your right as a consignor, but my guess is you will be waiting a long time for a sucker to come along. In the event you do eventually feel you've priced it too high, MCS encourages you to drop the price by offering to relist it as New in stock if you lower the price by 5% or more (MCS makes their money off commission - they want to sell the comic just as much as you do). You also have the option at any time of placing your consigned comic in their weekly or Prime auctions.

I have had comics that have sat for months on MCS at the lowest price for the grade (I check regularly on Ebay and MCS to make sure no one is undercutting me) with no takers. Non-keys can be hard to move. I then put it up for auction, the comic sells (usually for about 20% lower than I asked - similar to how sellers discount their books here to move them). And then, in some instances, the comic has ended up immediately relisted back on MCS for double my original asking price! Those comics are still there...

My point is consignors can list their comics at any price they want (just like on Ebay) but consignors who want to sell their stuff have to - and are strongly encouraged by MCS to - set a fair price.

So do you think people win tbe auction and have mcs never ship tbe book and just list it on consignment?

43 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Yes. Comiclink offers the same option (to have them keep it and relist).

Interesting. So you can basically run a comic business via mcs without ever looking at or touching a comic.  If you buy a comic from mcs and have them consign it do you keep mcs's grade?

29 minutes ago, the blob said:

Interesting. So you can basically run a comic business via mcs without ever looking at or touching a comic.  If you buy a comic from mcs and have them consign it do you keep mcs's grade?

Yes, you would have to keep the same grade (and yes, MCS frequently undergrades). But if you have lots of spare cash and time, you could easily run a small side business by flipping books on both MCS and Comiclink (I suspect some here already do). If you're patient, get a good deal and are able to sell at a price that gives you a decent markup (including the vendors' 10% cut) you will make money. The worst case scenario is you end up just deciding to  keep the book, so make sure to buy what you like!