• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does mycomicshop take so many ridiculous consignments?
2 2

78 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, jharvey said:

I bought a raw X-Men #11 FN- 5.5 from MyComicShop, got it CGC graded, and it came back as CGC 7.5

18 hours ago, roach04 said:

Nice!  I actually have  a Batman #234 that they'd graded a 7.0 - came back an 8.5 from CGC!  

Were these consignment items? The problem with this system is the seller is losing potential profit. Sure, MCS is as well, but it's probably only a couple bucks to them.

for those saying mcs has accurate grading I have just never seen that on any of my dozens of orders I get through them.  im fairly happy with them but the grading is far from accurate.  I typically order 6.0 in older books and they seldom come in the grade listed.  while some of them are spot on some are also as high as 8.5 and some are clearly as low as 4.0.  I hit as many as I miss when I order with them so in the end I break about even so I don't fuss too much.  but to say they are accurate is just not true.  and its not like they just under-grade because like I said every order I get I have books also severely over-graded. and they don't offer a credit on the over-graded books even with proof of pictures.  they make you return them which in most cases isn't even worth the price and hassle of shipping.

but in the end id say if order 10 books 2 might be the actual grade, 4 or 5 will be under-graded and 3 or 4 will be over-graded.  and this is based on numerous orders.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Were these consignment items? The problem with this system is the seller is losing potential profit. Sure, MCS is as well, but it's probably only a couple bucks to them.

Mine was not a consignment purchase.  It was actually before they offered consignments lol - about 10 years ago iirc.

In perusing the site I am surprised how many items they do not have in stock at all in any grade or maybe only have a 9.8 slab on consignment. I'm talking generic 1980s - 2000s batman/detective comics.

47 minutes ago, the blob said:

In perusing the site I am surprised how many items they do not have in stock at all in any grade or maybe only have a 9.8 slab on consignment. I'm talking generic 1980s - 2000s batman/detective comics.

I would imagine a lot of their popular inventory simply sells through at a steady pace. I recommend using their Want List feature if you're looking for something in particular.

Edited by adampasz

1 minute ago, adampasz said:

I would imagine a lot of their popular inventory simply sells through at a steady pace. I recommend using their Want List feature if you're looking for something in particular.

These didn't even seem like popular books. I find it useful to flip through it to see if anything is premium priced there. If it is $2 there I know it isn't going to be worth more elsewhere.

Just now, creaturefan95 said:

Yes

Weird. It is informative. While expensive on some stuff, they are basically a convention $2-$3 box on a lot of other stuff. In one sense they are so big they might be able to drive down the market for a lot of books. But then again, being out of stock on many common books, perhaps not.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:15 PM, ygogolak said:

Maybe that's why so many consignment prices are jacked up a bit. People thought they were sending in 9.2, but they got graded as 8.0s, and they still want the 9.2 price? 

@the blob What issues are you expecting to be in stock? I just checked Batman 301-400 and they have at least 90% of the issues. Maybe you can give some specific examples.

I've ordered from them about a dozen time, and I think their grading is fine. I can think of at least 3 "NM" books from them that I sent to CGC and they came back 9.8s. But I'm sure sometimes they make mistakes. I have not really dealt with their customer service, but I would hope they'd be reasonable about returns.

I agree with everyone else that their prices are high, but you are paying for the convenience of not having to hunt around for a book. Their prices for current books are usually around cover price, and, if you take advantage of their weekly sales, you can get current books for less than the LCS. Their shipping is reasonable, and they have a good selection of dollar books, comic supplies, and more. 

I've even bought on their auctions a couple of times, but I've mostly given up following those. It seems like the auction prices end up going considerably above market price.

The OP said he didn't like their search function, but I think it's solid. I can type some random book like "angel ape 6" and it pulls the right book in seconds. Their item descriptions are also excellent. Indeed I'd be curious to hear of *any* online comic store with a better search feature.

I went through the last 100-150 or so issues of Detective and Batman. A couple of other titles too. Was just surprised how many gaps (including the only book being a slabbed 9.8 for huge money) there were for a place that has zillions of comics.

The search function seems fine to me. Like I said, it is a nice tool to skim through a lot of issues to see if any pop out.

As for grading, I said nothing pro or con about their grading. I have never bought from them or sold through/to them. The reputation is that they are tough on consignment books.

48 minutes ago, the blob said:

I went through the last 100-150 or so issues of Detective and Batman. A couple of other titles too. Was just surprised how many gaps (including the only book being a slabbed 9.8 for huge money) there were for a place that has zillions of comics.

The search function seems fine to me. Like I said, it is a nice tool to skim through a lot of issues to see if any pop out.

As for grading, I said nothing pro or con about their grading. I have never bought from them or sold through/to them. The reputation is that they are tough on consignment books.

Sorry if it wasn't clear. Some of my comments were replies to other posts, not yours. :) 

Batman is the most popular super-hero in the universe, so it's perhaps not surprising that some issues are out of stock. They must move those pretty quick. They are constantly getting new inventory, so the book you want might show up. I have had some success using the Want List feature...

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Maybe that's why so many consignment prices are jacked up a bit. People thought they were sending in 9.2, but they got graded as 8.0s, and they still want the 9.2 price? 

I think that's a very real reason for the prices.