• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Lakes Comic Con - Jim Steranko, Arvell Jones, Keith Pollard Feb 23-24 Warren, Michigan!
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2018 at 11:46 AM, 1Cool said:

Looks like I'll be leaving work a little early and going to the Friday preview and Saturday morning.  Tickets are only $20 but does anyone have an extra dealers badge burning a hole in your pocket?  I'd be eternally grateful.

PM Sent

I know it's last minute but anybody want to come buy some books this weekend.  I've got an extra 2 day pass for the Con and you can have a free ticket if you want.  If you can only come today and not tomorrow maybe we can split it and get two people in for free.  Send me a PM if interested and we can work out the details on getting you a pass.  1st come - 1st serve!

I may check this show out. Last show for me was Grand Rapids in October (?) and I couldn’t find any books I wanted though I got Mike Zeck to sign some prints. I’m admittedly picky on condition and look for Bronze Age. Debating the 1 hour drive...

Got home a bit ago and wanted to put together a quick Con report for those that didn’t make it.  I drove over Friday afternoon and got in the door at around 3:30 with the dealer badge provided by Skow (Matt) and Nick.  Thanks for the hook up guys - much appreciated!  The Con is at a Community College in northern Detroit but they have plenty of free parking and it’s a safe neighborhood.  The decorations and things to see are not great but the Con makes up for it with a great selection of book!  Very little Cosplay on Friday but I hit the boxes hard and pulled out some gems especially from Crazy Rick’s booth.  Rick had a nice selection of $5 books this Con as always.  He was sick on Saturday so hopefully he is feeling better.

DF7026A6-9149-44C2-A128-FA46D0F079DB.jpeg

4DF6B03C-6B03-470E-A68E-9A9CD857A924.jpeg

The Con is laid out very well with most comic dealers on the one side and the artists in the middle and some more vendors in the back.  The aisles are very wide and there never felt to be a huge crowd except at certain booths when people were tearing thru the $5 boxes.  

7040AA63-0596-4B40-947A-8B7F250FE292.jpeg

F291788E-AA52-4778-8744-2B088EA8539F.jpeg

44106253-C0B7-4EAE-AC17-8A83F658CD7D.jpeg

927C7F68-B935-49BD-895E-381672F13DE6.jpeg

9AF89768-FB63-4F1E-B742-BA665D9FF31E.jpeg

3BE5BAFE-1F12-4013-B268-5036FFA148AD.jpeg

In the center of the dealer section there was a dealer who had some really nice books at some great prices.  Picked up some great books.  Was very happy to grab that FF 48 for a discount and I’m always stoked to get another FF Annual 6 in high grade.

62C9A7F4-8D7A-43F6-8210-F28B18488510.jpeg

33D4543C-7E78-46A7-8851-CABC63647069.jpeg

Skow (Matt) is a great guy who is having a kid soon and I was happy to add some cash to the baby fund.  He has a great batch of books and he is very reasonable with a nicely timed bulk offer.  I wish I would have spent more time looking at his pre code books.  His booth was busy most of the show so I’m sure he did great.

90410F31-CF00-427C-95AB-5941D158D30E.jpeg

79D5B782-3059-4D8E-B252-47ACAC1D83E8.jpeg

652E92BB-6B6C-437D-9A7B-353B88A3C372.jpeg

4DC49225-DEF5-4BFD-A5BC-AFD049507547.jpeg

D65FDB0F-7F9C-4A0F-86B4-AD630CA54EFC.jpeg

C7479F43-6FA4-444D-B859-5AB1A201665E.jpeg

C38C67EE-716B-4806-9555-12171BC37A81.jpeg

My older brother won the grand prize raffle, a copy of ASM 129!  ^^He wouldn't give it to me for some reason. (shrug) At least he let me hold it for a photo.

I had a great time! It was fun meeting Matt and Nick, you guys both have some very nice books, thanks for the deals! I bought way too much overall. The sheer amount of $0.50, 1, 3, and 5 boxes was amazing. I literally ended up with almost a longbox of books.  

I got sigs from Moore, Larsen, Messner-Loebs, Medina, and Zahler. These guys are all super cool and fun to talk with. I didn't even get to Steranko, and Friday night he didn't even have a line. The only book I have I want him to sign is my 9.6 copy of Nick Fury and His Agents of SHIELD (1973), but I couldn't bring myself to crack it open.

Pictured is one of the signs set behind Jim Larson's booth, signed and sketched. My younger brother won this in the raffle, then got it signed and sketched, then gave it to me!^^

The other pictures show an original sketch by Angel Medina of my favorite villian Carnage.

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3333.JPG

I had a great time at the show.  I only added a few books to my collection but I did meet Steranko and he was a riot!!! lol Boy did he have some stories to tell.  Over all the show was a huge success.  Tons of great comics dealers were in the room with lots of deals to be had.   It was definitely a comic show and not just another crafters convention.   I have to thank Rick  @catrick339 and Brad for helping me with my Strange Worlds collection.  And let's not forget Rick's lovely wife Cat.  She is always so friendly and cheery (she must be a saint to put up with Rick for all these years :roflmao:).  Matt's @SkOw booth was top notch as usual with tons of keys at rock bottom prices.  Matt is a great guy and as big of a comic lover as you will ever meet.  He and his wife Nicole are always friendly and fun to see at a show!  It was really cool to meet Andrew @1Cool (you see what I did there?)!  I was glad to be able to see another boardie pick up a major key like Avengers #1.  Lets hope it come back a 4.0 or higher :wishluck:.  It was fun getting to meet  @Joosh as well.  The mustache was as epic as advertised!  Last but certainly not least is Rich @Rich_Henn.  CGC's signature king!  I had him and his associate help me with my Steranko signature series FOOM #2.  I had a great time meeting Rich and chit chatting about comics and art.

The board members are always friendly and engaging collectors.  I'm lucky to have a group like you around!

1 hour ago, Nick's Comics said:

I had a great time at the show.  I only added a few books to my collection but I did meet Steranko and he was a riot!!! lol Boy did he have some stories to tell.  Over all the show was a huge success.  Tons of great comics dealers were in the room with lots of deals to be had.   It was definitely a comic show and not just another crafters convention.   I have to thank Rick  @catrick339 and Brad for helping me with my Strange Worlds collection.  And let's not forget Rick's lovely wife Cat.  She is always so friendly and cheery (she must be a saint to put up with Rick for all these years :roflmao:).  Matt's @SkOw booth was top notch as usual with tons of keys at rock bottom prices.  Matt is a great guy and as big of a comic lover as you will ever meet.  He and his wife Nicole are always friendly and fun to see at a show!  It was really cool to meet Andrew @1Cool (you see what I did there?)!  I was glad to be able to see another boardie pick up a major key like Avengers #1.  Lets hope it come back a 4.0 or higher :wishluck:.  It was fun getting to meet  @Joosh as well.  The mustache was as epic as advertised!  Last but certainly not least is Rich @Rich_Henn.  CGC's signature king!  I had him and his associate help me with my Steranko signature series FOOM #2.  I had a great time meeting Rich and chit chatting about comics and art.

The board members are always friendly and engaging collectors.  I'm lucky to have a group like you around!

Yeah,  I  definitely  married  above my station,   lol

On 2/24/2018 at 5:07 PM, 1Cool said:

Next to Rick’s booth was some nice guys but I didn’t get much except some nice pictures.  The pictures are Saturday morning before it got started.

AD35B282-B3E7-4027-B0CB-F75690AEF27C.jpeg

2BEB7288-FFCD-4CFE-89B4-7604D6BDEA6D.jpeg

67C0D0D0-8B9B-413A-AA30-38E0696D5931.jpeg

9FADF012-BE6B-4A39-B75E-FBA4B3F040C6.jpeg

A lot of recognizable faces from going to the Motor City show year after year. I shoulda made the trek.

I was pleasantly surprised by the show. Bought a bunch of $5 books from Collectors Zone, the guy with glasses with the Avengers #1. I’ll try and share some pics later this week. What I really enjoyed was buying some books on sheer instinct like when I was a kid. Even bought some books I used to own that I bought new back in the day. Late 70’s Bronze Age.

11 hours ago, Shadow said:

I was pleasantly surprised by the show. Bought a bunch of $5 books from Collectors Zone, the guy with glasses with the Avengers #1. I’ll try and share some pics later this week. What I really enjoyed was buying some books on sheer instinct like when I was a kid. Even bought some books I used to own that I bought new back in the day. Late 70’s Bronze Age.

I like that guy - he and his helper are super nice and easy to work with.  He does not carry a lot of key books but I find some nice high grade bronze books in his $5 boxes each show. 

15 hours ago, Shadow said:

Collectors Zone, the guy with glasses with the Avengers #1.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I like that guy - he and his helper are super nice and easy to work with.  He does not carry a lot of key books but I find some nice high grade bronze books in his $5 boxes each show. 

His name is Roger and his is an incredibly nice guy.  His helper might have been his brother Richie.  Also a super nice guy.  We are pretty lucky here in Michigan with all of the friendly comic dealers that we have.