• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCS Grading and My Experiences
3 3

62 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, FSF said:

But if you're stating that "it shouldn't be" difficult to find decent prices, it doesn't matter whether MCS sets the prices or not.  THEY are the one's allowing the infrastructure for it to exist.  The issue is the same.  The party to blame, and how much to assess can perhaps be debated, but it's still a fact that it IS difficult finding decently priced material on MCS, which goes to the heart of your comment hear.

I guess I'll say that while I honor and respect your opinion on these matters, I simply can't see where you're coming from. It appears as though I have a great time on MCS and you have a great time over at Mile High. The best thing for us to do is to continue to support the companies we like. On that note, I'm out of the conversation. :cool:

1 minute ago, newshane said:

I guess I'll say that while I honor and respect your opinion on these matters, I simply can't see where you're coming from. It appears as though I have a great time on MCS and you have a great time over at Mile High. The best thing for us to do is to continue to support the companies we like. On that note, I'm out of the conversation. :cool:

I don't visit Mile High.  I very much like MCS but I think it is a much bigger time drain than it should be.  Which is where I would agree with you.  It shouldn't be THAT difficult to find decent priced material on stuff that isn't rare.

13 minutes ago, FSF said:

But if you're stating that "it shouldn't be" difficult to find decent prices, it doesn't matter whether MCS sets the prices or not.  THEY are the one's allowing the infrastructure for it to exist.  The issue is the same.  The party to blame, and how much to assess can perhaps be debated, but it's still a fact that it IS difficult finding decently priced material on MCS, which goes to the heart of your comment hear.

The "it shouldn't be" was in reference to mile high. There is stuff on there, you just need to work to find it. 

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

The "it shouldn't be" was in reference to mile high. There is stuff on there, you just need to work to find it. 

Oh, I get that.  But shouldn't a comment like that be taken as universal and apply to all sellers?

21 minutes ago, FSF said:

Oh, I get that.  But shouldn't a comment like that be taken as universal and apply to all sellers?

Were i looking to fill specific holes there is stuff on mcs that would work for me price-wise. I have never ordered or sold through them. I do look at their prices (non-consignment) to try and gauge the top quintile of the market for something. They have a reputation, etc., so they should be able to charge more than the average ebay seller. I am considering consigning a few things.

I just posted this in the other MCS thread before seeing this one and this is more appropriate here so will repost.

for those saying mcs has accurate grading I have just never seen that on any of my dozens of orders I get through them.  im fairly happy with them but the grading is far from accurate.  I typically order 6.0 in older books and they seldom come in the grade listed.  while some of them are spot on some are also as high as 8.5 and some are clearly as low as 4.0.  I hit as many as I miss when I order with them so in the end I break about even so I don't fuss too much.  but to say they are accurate is just not true.  and its not like they just under-grade because like I said every order I get I have books also severely over-graded. and they don't offer a credit on the over-graded books even with proof of pictures.  they make you return them which in most cases isn't even worth the price and hassle of shipping.

but in the end id say if order 10 books 2 might be the actual grade, 4 or 5 will be under-graded and 3 or 4 will be over-graded.  and this is based on numerous orders.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:34 PM, Marwood & I said:

I used to call this "New book, so I can't be bothered to grade it" syndrome.

I can totally see that happening at all kinds of shops.  Not that it should be done - and I wonder if that's part of the disconnect between a lot of really decent sounding people across both the currently active MCS threads.  To me (just me!) a modern book I really don't if the grade is off a few points bc I buy those (when I buy them) to read, enjoy, and then, at some point, give away.  But I realize there are lots of modern collectors looking for the pristine NM bc that's what they collect - totally get it and totally understand why they'd be irritated.

@ygogolak - when you sent the pics of your Zombie Tramps to Lone Star, what was their response?  I'm a huge supporter partially because when I've had issues (with anything) they've handled 110x better than I'd have expected so keen to hear how they handled your issue. 

On February 11, 2018 at 7:26 PM, roach04 said:

Nice!  I actually have  a Batman #234 that they'd graded a 7.0 - came back an 8.5 from CGC!  

On February 11, 2018 at 7:16 PM, jharvey said:

I bought a raw X-Men #11 FN- 5.5 from MyComicShop, got it CGC graded, and it came back as CGC 7.5

I just want to point out these two examples from the other MCS thread currently running. It's a win for the buyers, right? Sure. 

The thing is, there was likely a seller or consignor on the other end of this who sent those books in to MCS to sell. Now, it's possible these two examples got pressed before grading and we're not getting that part of the story. Otherwise, these books were, it seems, either graded with undue harshness, negligence or MCS is using a different set of standards than CGC.  How in the world does a book get listed as a 5.5 and come back from CGC a 7.5? That's a huge disparity. And how much do you think the price difference is between the cut the seller/consignor received from MCS and these books' values now after grading?

They consistently under grade consignment items. I have no idea about their own stock, but I consign a lot, and nearly everything is off of CGC standards by at least a point. I've subbed 100-200 books a month for many years, and I know CGC standards pretty well. On moderns, a MCS VF is probably a CGC 9.4, and I'm not kidding. Silver age? If the book gets a grade of "fine" from MCS expect a 7.0-9.0 from CGC without a press. The people that know this buy consignment books in the 6.0-7.0 range and get books that are way better than described all. the. time.  I can't speak on their own stock because I don't buy books from them, but I've been consigning for a long time. I've gotten used to it, and I guess a lot of the repeat buyers are aware of it too because books keep selling.  MCS consignment 7.0 > Random Ebay guy's NM all day long. 

13 hours ago, roach04 said:

I can totally see that happening at all kinds of shops.  Not that it should be done - and I wonder if that's part of the disconnect between a lot of really decent sounding people across both the currently active MCS threads.  To me (just me!) a modern book I really don't if the grade is off a few points bc I buy those (when I buy them) to read, enjoy, and then, at some point, give away.  But I realize there are lots of modern collectors looking for the pristine NM bc that's what they collect - totally get it and totally understand why they'd be irritated.

@ygogolak - when you sent the pics of your Zombie Tramps to Lone Star, what was their response?  I'm a huge supporter partially because when I've had issues (with anything) they've handled 110x better than I'd have expected so keen to hear how they handled your issue. 

At the time I bought these they were selling for a lot more, so I wasn't concerned with returning them.

2 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

They consistently under grade consignment items. I have no idea about their own stock, but I consign a lot, and nearly everything is off of CGC standards by at least a point. I've subbed 100-200 books a month for many years, and I know CGC standards pretty well. On moderns, a MCS VF is probably a CGC 9.4, and I'm not kidding. Silver age? If the book gets a grade of "fine" from MCS expect a 7.0-9.0 from CGC without a press. The people that know this buy consignment books in the 6.0-7.0 range and get books that are way better than described all. the. time.  I can't speak on their own stock because I don't buy books from them, but I've been consigning for a long time. I've gotten used to it, and I guess a lot of the repeat buyers are aware of it too because books keep selling.  MCS consignment 7.0 > Random Ebay guy's NM all day long. 

My experience submitting (Bronze/Silver) raw comics to MCS has been identical. Getting a VF/NM grade from their graders is like getting a 9.8 from CGC! :acclaim:

3 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I just want to point out these two examples from the other MCS thread currently running. It's a win for the buyers, right? Sure. 

The thing is, there was likely a seller or consignor on the other end of this who sent those books in to MCS to sell. Now, it's possible these two examples got pressed before grading and we're not getting that part of the story. Otherwise, these books were, it seems, either graded with undue harshness, negligence or MCS is using a different set of standards than CGC.  How in the world does a book get listed as a 5.5 and come back from CGC a 7.5? That's a huge disparity. And how much do you think the price difference is between the cut the seller/consignor received from MCS and these books' values now after grading?

I haven't submitted a ton of raws to MCS, but have had a similar experience (I thought the book was a VF - they called it FN). I'm no expert grader by any means, but I still think I was closer to the grade than they were and priced my consignment accordingly. My guess is the buyers (who can see the scan) agreed with my grade as every comic sold. And if a consignor doesn't agree with MCS grades they always have the prerogative to have the comics returned.

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

My experience submitting (Bronze/Silver) raw comics to MCS has been identical. Getting a VF/NM grade from their graders is like getting a 9.8 from CGC! :acclaim:

I have maybe a 15-20% success rate of them agreeing with my grade when I send items in to sell. Most of my stuff isn't consignment, just clearing out dupes or under-copies that are only worth $5-10 anyway, but it's pretty frustrating. I usually just take it on the chin as the process to sell to them is pretty simple otherwise and I'm usually just trying to build credit so I can buy something off their site. Just don't know whether to attribute it to my lack of grading acumen or a system stacked against the little guys.

18 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

MYcomicshop is a GREAT grader (when compared to Metropolis)..............

Metropolis created the 10 point grading system, never forget that.

Also, they never learned how to use it and grade like Ray Charles is running the place.

38 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I have maybe a 15-20% success rate of them agreeing with my grade when I send items in to sell. Most of my stuff isn't consignment, just clearing out dupes or under-copies that are only worth $5-10 anyway, but it's pretty frustrating. I usually just take it on the chin as the process to sell to them is pretty simple otherwise and I'm usually just trying to build credit so I can buy something off their site. Just don't know whether to attribute it to my lack of grading acumen or a system stacked against the little guys.

I have a terrible habit of being too trusting and giving others the benefit of the doubt, but I believe the reason for their tight grading is to make sure their customers aren't disappointed by receiving raw comics in a lower grade than expected. I rarely buy off MCS, but I would rather deal with a seller who undergrades than overgrades. And we all know there are far too many of them out there.