• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

when buying GA comics or any in general do you...
2 2

24 posts in this topic

I'll take a detached cover over tape any day, just because tape usually detracts from the cover.  If it's interior tape, I'm more okay with it.  All of this depends on the general availability of the book too.  The more rare the book is, the more defects I'm willing to overlook to get a copy.

38 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I'll take a detached cover over tape any day, just because tape usually detracts from the cover.  If it's interior tape, I'm more okay with it.  All of this depends on the general availability of the book too.  The more rare the book is, the more defects I'm willing to overlook to get a copy.

An almighty GA goodness sig you’ve got there ! xD

On February 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM, Point Five said:

I totally know what you mean! Something about a cover that seems ready to jump off the staples, but is a hair away from getting there. Makes you so nervous to handle it.

I think this way too. I guess it would make me feel as if I've damaged my book, but in the case of the defect we're talking about, it's probably only the inevitable happening in our hands. Still, I can't shake the thought of responsibility for the damage. Damn Catholic grade school, I guess!

Flip side is I passed on a Flash #14 for this reason and haven't seen one since. Since GA books can have detached covers and still score VG range in a slab, if it's one of those books that's awesomeness is primarily in its cover, I'm warming to accepting this.

Incompleteness bugs me way more, but I even accept affordable incomplete books that I may never see again, though I try to keep it to a few.

Brittleness and serious water damage would be the things I would most readily avoid. Also rodent chews, though this is largely because it seems to turn off so many other collectors, rendering a book for more illiquid. Even if it's a book I intend to keep in the "with me til the end" collection, that bugs me because you never know if you one day need to sell, or change your mind and want to sell due to unexpected upgrade, etc.