• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, newshane said:

You won't hear any arguments from me. Based on my experience, the sales forum just isn't as active as it used to be. I've also noticed a lot of old-timers who never really come around much anymore.

Even though I've adjusted, I can definitely understand why the change ran people off.

+1 on all of this edited post.

Edited by mysterio

6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm wondering if it's because the hobby has gotten so expensive that no one can afford it without being a part-time dealer?  

hm

You may be on to something here.

My 2 cents is that attrition happens at a higher rate than new members join. The fact of the matter is that the boards are a tad hostile to new members. Whereas facebook for example is a bit more friendly to new members. Furthermore, facebook transactions are not as regulated as the boards. Here sales are broken down between copper/modern, gold/silver/bronze and mixed. It's just too overwhelming for new members. Why not have a single sales subforum? 

Also, agreeing with other people that have commented, most people here are interested in sales. There are basically 0 discussions on the modern, copper, gold subforums that are not related to prices and what is hot. This is especially glaring on the modern subforum where one would expect discussion on current books.

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

It takes a Comcav to fill a money bin!

content_scrooge-mcduck-gif-1.gif

It takes a Luthar to have an Interfaith Enlightenment Site of the internet (lookitup).

I think that now covers all the spelling errors... Brought to you by an outsider. You are welcome.

Just joshing, Mr. 1cool. :foryou:You did not have to change anything. Without the changes, it allowed me to contribute. So I think it was ordained. 

FWIW, I spoke with two separate dealers at a local con a few weeks ago. One had a comic shop but closed to only do ebay and cons. The other is still running his shop. Even I though I talked to them at different times they both mirrored each other when discussing the most difficult thing in running a comic shop. Customers will come in and pick up their pull list, drop $50-$100, and walk out feeling they just aren't getting that much value for their money. The product isn't as good and continues to get more expensive.

Readership, along with print runs are very low on new stuff. The "pop culture" movie and tv hype that was bringing new blood in has passed its peak.

I remember when I joined. This was an active forum. Over the years I dropped in and out according to personal circumstances, but I've definitely noticed a change when I came back. There seemed to be an influx of sellers going way above GPA and not giving a about the community.

Sellers used to be involved in active discussion and would actually sell to other collectors, not speculators.

Love the hype the movies bring but at the same time I think it brought the type of sellers that are more interested in flipping than collecting.

I love comics! Even decades ago back when it was seen as nerdy I spoke their praises heck I sang their praises they were a big part of my life. From a little nipper (no not as Crab-boy) I could be found either colouring or copying my heroes I was lost in my own World and what a World it was and still is for me to enjoy. nowadays I find myself gliding through the comic shops like a ghost, I'm just going through the motions as very few shops even have comics anymore, back issues only run to maybe 6 months back stock no I only go now for the odd bargain in Artist editions. I'm pleased with even that as I've gotten some great books for nothing the reason being all these new EXPERTS yes the shop is full of them each trying to out do the other with their vast (cough) knowledge. I'll admit that I know very little but I love to learn, why just yesterday a fellow board member (Ken Aldred) told me about Earl Norem a artist I just knew through his work and never knew his name. So if Marwood wants to go into his online rants so be it.xD 

I feel like there had been a slow bleed of old-timers for quite a while, and then the change to the "new boards" gave a bunch of folks a clean excuse to jump ship. They may have faded away over time, but that was a clear cut point to make a break. I don't think that the boards have really recovered since the transition.

9 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

Just my opinion, The hobby is alive and well. Most other online places are busier then ever. Most people I know have an account here but rarely use them.

It seems most boardies Tend to ignore a new or unknown person replying in a thread regardless of the posters content. Most seem hesitant to go out on a limb and say "Hi" So to speak. It seems to be a rather tight knit group and breaking in can be rather difficult. Even more so if whoever is new has a sub par knowledge of the hobby. It seem to be the only way to get "In" is to make a splash and most new guys hardly make a ripple. If everyone seems to be ignoring you, whats the point of posting? If a responce is given there seems to be a 50/50 chance of it being friendly or not.

Selling on here is a totally different animal. Unless you one of a select few it seems no one wants to touch your books unless its just to cheep to pass up. I have seen this more times then I can count. Books that sell instantly elsewhere just sit here on the boards unless posted by the right guy.

And again this is just what I have observed, Im sure its not whateveryone wants to hear and im sure it wont help my standing with the comunity. But this seem to be the oppinion of a large group of people as well as myself.

Having said all that the boards are great, and there are some fantastic member here. I enjoy reading the threads and seeing peoples oppinions and some fantasic books. Its one of the reasons I have stuck around.

you going to the Ramada show March 3rd?

22 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Facebook is friendlier? sheeeeeeeeeet those pages can be ruthless 50% insufficiently_thoughtful_person, 45% window licker. 5% people like me who just sit back and shake their head.

Facebook is a little rough. The constant "how do I get a book graded" Posts get a little tiring. Its my least favorite comic related platform.

21 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

you going to the Ramada show March 3rd?

As of right now yes, I was debating getting a table. But ill probably just attend.

4 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

Facebook is a little rough. The constant "how do I get a book graded" Posts get a little tiring. Its my least favorite comic related platform.

As of right now yes, I was debating getting a table. But ill probably just attend.

Keep in touch leading up. I am seeing who else may be interested in a little meet and greet.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Where is everyone now?  On Discord, telegram, reddit?

I think it is the aging of the board member audience that had something to do with it. Most people when this board started where in their late 30s most likely when this board started. Same group are probably all hitting their 50s now.  At a certain age people just don't have the same passion they had when they were younger about certain subjects. Most probably moved on to other interests. Nothing wrong with that.

Hopefully some new younger board members can carry the torch going forward.

33 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Facebook is friendlier? sheeeeeeeeeet those pages can be ruthless 50% insufficiently_thoughtful_person, 45% window licker. 5% people like me who just sit back and shake their head.

You need to post more - you're funny as heck..., Haha

38 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

I've had good experiences on the facebook comic collecting groups but your mileage will vary. I can also add reddit as a friendly platform for comic discussions.

Buy and sell groups on facebook are not such fun for me though.

I still feel these boards have too much emphasis on buying and selling which detracts from newer members who just want to talk about the latest story or artist/writer team on Aquaman.