• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

But that is from a sales approach which use to be such a small part of the boards.  I remember epic threads about Danny's quest for Bryne X-Men CGC 9.8s which at the time where rare.  I always thought people were so mean back then but it was just a club house vibe where you got picked on but people got together for a beer afterwards and compared comics.  Maybe the world changed and we all just changed with it. 

3 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Let's not forget the huge punch in the face that was dealt by Photobucket this past year. The old boards, with their 3rd party hosting dependence, would have still taken a major hit.

Spot on. Thank God we have the ability to post direct now. Had we not....

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:
5 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Let's not forget the huge punch in the face that was dealt by Photobucket this past year. The old boards, with their 3rd party hosting dependence, would have still taken a major hit.

What about my thousands of scans on Photophuckit?  Do I need to start stacking them here in pms to myself?

Just now, lizards2 said:

What about my thousands of scans on Photophuckit?  Do I need to start stacking them here in pms to myself?

Only the ones where you're clothed liz.

Just now, Marwood & I said:
4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Glad you're enjoying it Rock!

Keep watching. Arch will be along soon, to address our concerns....

And pass out free vacations! :banana: 

I've currently got 4 demerits, so the next ones should give me a nice one!! :banana::banana: 

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I feel like there had been a slow bleed of old-timers for quite a while, and then the change to the "new boards" gave a bunch of folks a clean excuse to jump ship. They may have faded away over time, but that was a clear cut point to make a break. I don't think that the boards have really recovered since the transition.

^^

Plus the sales section is a dud.  The "forum member discount" went the way of the dodo.

Just now, Azkaban said:

at least we don't have teat milking ;)

We do have some Big Titles threads over in the sales forum though :banana: 

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Only the ones where you're clothed liz.

comic books, Sparky, comic books! (tsk)

lol everytime I see that I think it says something else

36 minutes ago, Azkaban said:
39 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

lol everytime I see that I think it says something else

That's because you're an advanced pervert.  I'll talk to jimmers @porcupine48 and Sparky, and see if we should allow you into the inner circle...., 

Edited by lizards2
summoning porky

One thing I think CGC could do is run a competition for board members with prizes to encourage participation. They could start a thread each month, and judge the best response. I could think of a few good ones. Prize would be free grading etc. That would encourage participation, from all segments, and new members.

Or, they could give awards to people at random, who haven't done anything.

Oh, wait, They do that already don't they hm

That's because you're an advanced pervert.  I'll talk to jimmers and Sparky, and see if we should allow you into the inner circle...., 

lol

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
11 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
15 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Except every time you go to a find a scan, it will take you to the first one you sent to yourself. Apparently, that's how PMs work now. :cry:

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

That's because you're an advanced pervert.  I'll talk to jimmers and Sparky, and see if we should allow you into the inner circle...., 

On that point, lets all send out positive vibes to our Jimmers, who has been offline for a while, and not responding to digs and prods.

Let's hope he returns from his unauthorised hibernation soon, to face disciplinary procedures. Which @lizards2 will of course administer, with his usual flair and zeal.

@porcupine48

2 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Except every time you go to a find a scan, it will take you to the first one you sent to yourself. Apparently, that's how PMs work now. :cry:

Yes. Badly. But don't worry, you can use the search engine to look for them. Oh, wait....

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

We have all run out of things to say about 'old' comics. Every aspect, every nuance of old comic collecting has been mined to the point of tedium. Consequently, all we really see are variations on a theme. Everything has been done. All 'new' threads are actually old threads in disguise. 

This

5 that always seem to come to mind.

Liefeld threads

Alan Moore threads

Pressing threads

Stan Lee vs Kirby/Ditko ownership threads

Why modern comics don't sell like they use to with people worried about the future comic audience threads.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

4 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

One thing I think CGC could do is run a competition for board members with prizes to encourage participation. They could start a thread each month, and judge the best response. I could think of a few good ones. Prize would be free grading etc. That would encourage participation, from all segments, and new members.

Or, they could give awards to people at random, who haven't done anything.

Oh, wait, They do that already don't they hm

I'm don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said so far, but I think the larger point is: why would CGC put that much more work into any of this? They're already providing a fre message board for people to loiter on. There was probably a time in CGC's history where fostering a community was important to their bottom line, but I'd suspect we're well past that point now. Books are going to keep rolling in to be graded by the truckload. Why would they care if their message boards are thriving or not? I'd expect that it costs them much more to maintain than they are realistically seeing in return. I'm not saying that any of your proposed fixes are a bad idea, but at the end of the day, what does it profit CGC to see to them?