• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

With Squidmo animated .gifs, random Stu and Bug participation, memes, pernts, hitting the notify button on yourself, meltdowns, set-ups, conspiracies, pressing, wife-stealing, scam-busting, special needs salesmen, Diggler's hottie file, homoeroticism, cults of personality, Fleeanimation, Strawberry Shortcake thread bumping, how-to diagrams, balloon animals and high hilarity.

Nice summary. Those were the days!

19 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
37 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

You have not witnessed the true Friday threads.

With Squidmo animated .gifs, random Stu and Bug participation, memes, pernts, hitting the notify button on yourself, meltdowns, set-ups, conspiracies, pressing, wife-stealing, scam-busting, special needs salesmen, Diggler's hottie file, homoeroticism, cults of personality, Fleeanimation, Strawberry Shortcake thread bumping, how-to diagrams, balloon animals and high hilarity.

:luhv:  to all of that!

Oh man, speaking of the wife-stealing episode, wasn't she doing sketches before the end?  I seem to remember requesting a Leeja Clane, and she did one!

18 minutes ago, creaturefan95 said:
22 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Yes to all of this, add in 20 members drinking too much.

Sounds like a really fun party! :martini:

Those were the days....., 

Image result for lounge lizard jpg

Just now, creaturefan95 said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Free my peeps :sumo: 

That's not you?

Maybe before I get dressed in the morning..., hard to remember....., 

2 hours ago, adampasz said:

I wasn't part of the good old days, so I can't comment on whether it's more or less dead than it used to be, but here's my 2 cents on the current state of things here... 

1. There seem to be at least 2 or 3 good sales threads going on every week. Sometimes more -- they seem to come in waves.
2. Sales threads have had a nice variety of GA to modern books, including many books that are tough to find elsewhere.
3. Most people here already know what they are looking for, and know what they're willing to pay. If you're looking to sell dreck here, you're probably wasting your time.
4. Pricing has ranged from Awesome_Deal to Slightly_Overpriced. I haven't really seen much in the way of price-gouging.
5. There is a subjective element to buying/selling. Every seller has their own style that takes time, and perhaps a few transactions, to figure out.
6. I know this will get me:boo:, but I don't have a problem with the UI of the new boards. And I've been able to effectively use the site on mobile devices (including running a vcc booth), which was much tougher with the old boards. Just being able to upload images directly was a huge win.

what about discussions re: story and art?

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

You got me thinking of about eight to ten years ago, when I first started selling my duplicate/undercopies here, and Arex, Doc Watson and Borock buying my 9.0s and squeezing them into 9.4/9.6 slabs. 

Nothing like seeing my $10 9.0 Nick Fury with a ghastly flaw in its new, shiney 9.6 CGC slab, going for just shy of $300 on eBay.

Maybe we're just not drawing enough new "suckers" here any more to take advantage of....., hm

If that happened to me, I'd be sad about the whole state of things.

41 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
57 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Nice summary. Those were the days!

Yeah :frown:

Add Phil's and you got it all.

Edited by Gotham Kid

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

You got me thinking of about eight to ten years ago, when I first started selling my duplicate/undercopies here, and Arex, Doc Watson and Borock buying my 9.0s and squeezing them into 9.4/9.6 slabs. 

Nothing like seeing my $10 9.0 Nick Fury with a ghastly flaw in its new, shiney 9.6 CGC slab, going for just shy of $300 on eBay.

Maybe we're just not drawing enough new "suckers" here any more to take advantage of....., hm

If that happened to me, I'd be sad about the whole state of things.

I got over it.  The Nick Fury # 8 was a perfect book with one big flaw on the front cover.  I would still call it a 9.0 - I was just baffled by the 9.6 CGC grade, and the final hammer price - I mean for a Nick Fury 8 in any grade.  I can't seem to find it on GPA, so maybe it was the $408 one in 2009.  :facepalm:

I think there are a few factors with two being how expensive comics have gotten and the new site. I stopped buying a few years ago due to the price of back issues. I think the prices have jumped way to high for the supply and demand. When I stopped buying I stopped talking, I still occasionally visit and read but don't usually contribute. Since the site change I don't visit as much. I am not a fan of the new site layout, I use to visit here maybe 5 times a day now it's more like every five days between visits. That's just my opinion.

1 minute ago, kidcolt said:

I think there are a few factors with two being how expensive comics have gotten and the new site. I stopped buying a few years ago due to the price of back issues. I think the prices have jumped way to high for the supply and demand. When I stopped buying I stopped talking, I still occasionally visit and read but don't usually contribute. Since the site change I don't visit as much. I am not a fan of the new site layout, I use to visit here maybe 5 times a day now it's more like every five days between visits. That's just my opinion.

I have missed your avatar.

6 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Should I say something snarky about moderns that will start an argument?  Most of the old threads I remember were two people arguing back and forth with no chance either one would move.  That, or Kav derailing a thread, looking for attention.

The volume's down, but so is the noise.

But that was part of the charm!

@goldust40 I think it is time the community building was done again. The reason these boards were so great was the sense of community by a fairly large group of people, the forum get together /dinners at the shows have always been a high point and have allowed many newer members to have more of a relationship with some of the more seasoned veterans. I miss the days of Arex, Chromuim, Hesdeadjim, flamingtelepath, foolkiller, etc posting more and engaging in conversations. I took my share of time away as well. But there are so many great people here it seems like a shame to let the place slowly fade away, or lose the luster of a great community dedicated to the hobby of collecting comics.