• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

When I first joined the Boards, it seemed like Roy, that dork greggy, and many others posted Con reports.   I don't see many Con reports anymore.   Used to enjoy looking at the pictures and reading the commentary.

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

Would it help to create  a sub forum of some sort based around story discussions? It might feel a little like the movies sub forum. I could see focusing it a few different ways:

1. Threads about the story line of anything newly released
  2. Threads about any story line that you are currently reading right now
  3. Other?

I am not sure if this is a 'If you build it, they will come', type scenario.   I have tried to talk Secret Empire, or the new art team in Cap, and it lasted a few posts only to get buried.  Maybe the subject matter is just not there for folks on this board.   Again, I am a reader, not a dollar chaser.   I can look at 3-4 New Topics on the first page of the Modern forum, and you can follow them until the dreaded variant de-rail takes over.  

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I think so, yes. I battled away with Arch on it for a time but just ended up making myself unpopular. I thought I had some good points really, but no one joined me in the fight so I gave up. There's some history here, if you're bored for 10 minutes:

I still think it's silly that 99.9% of us have to live with a cap, which was brought in to stop a handful of people running riot. If you turned off the Leaderboard, which as I understand it is the only visible manifestation of like volumes, then there would be no need for a cap. 

But I'm going over old ground here, we have Arch's position on it and that's that.

I'm not opposed to raising like limits. I just think it's better to find a number that's needed by most users, than to take the cap off entirely. Ideally, abusers would hit the limit, but most legitimate users wouldn't notice that there is one.

Seasoned vets have a higher limit because they aren't going to be fake accounts liking things to be disruptive, but because some switch flips when you hit 10k posts and you are now better at liking. It was just a convenient pre-existing group to grant more likes.

We already raised the limits once. We'll probably do it again if the cap is being run into repeatedly by normal users.  It's just that, as Marwood says when he brought it up previously (and we raised the cap at that time), after that "I thought I had some good points really, but no one joined me in the fight so I gave up." -- It didn't seem like many people were running into the limit.

So it seems we're somewhat close to where the limit should be. Maybe a little low. (shrug)

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No. 

Excessive micro-management and aggressive control of what, where, when, how, and why people post is why this thread exists in the first place.

Utopia is fantasy; it does not exist in the real world, and trying to force it is what drives and has driven people away. 

Well, that's one view. Granted, sometimes the creation of a sub forum for which there isn't interest creates a ghost town. But sometimes it allow people with interest in a topic to gather together and feed off of each other's enthusiasm.

16 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I was a thread started out genuinely asking what folks thought of post counts...and then it became a freeforall place for some folks to hang out...and then it turned into the spot to endlessly post smilies to pad your post count.It was in a pretty obscure corner of the old boards...facts and polls if I remember right.If you could handle all the endless pad posts,there were some great conversations in it and I made some of my best friends here there.

Seems like yesterday...

They did what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Well, that's one view. Granted, sometimes the creation of a sub forum for which there isn't interest creates a ghost town. But sometimes it allow people with interest in a topic to gather together and feed off of each other's enthusiasm.

Getting rid of the post counts thread is unacceptable. I don't know why that thread had to go, it was harmless. You should restore it.

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No. 

Excessive micro-management and aggressive control of what, where, when, how, and why people post is why this thread exists in the first place.

Utopia is fantasy; it does not exist in the real world, and trying to force it is what drives and has driven people away. 

Agree - the community should create topics and add content as they see fit. If they post in the wrong forum or duplicate an existing thread, people tend to quickly point that out.

Also agree that more participation by CGC peeps would benefit the boards.

See a lot of posts in this thread about selling & values, just a few about creating a better community and increasing the quality of the content. Maybe we have beaten most of the hobby to death and newer members are simply digesting all the old content. Have seen several old threads resurrected in the past couple of months. Going back to last year, one of the best threads IMHO was about the Berk collection auction - a true comic nerd event with tons of history and Jon even participated!

Got nothing against the friendly & funny posts, memes, gifs and puns - wouldn't be an online community without it. 

Oh yeah, the collapse of photodumpster didn't exactly help many of the long running threads (specifically those in the GA section).

-bc

ps - maybe I'll get to 1,000 posts this year....

2 minutes ago, Architecht said:

I'm not opposed to raising like limits. I just think it's better to find a number that's needed by most users, than to take the cap off entirely. Ideally, abusers would hit the limit, but most legitimate users wouldn't notice that there is one.

Seasoned vets have a higher limit because they aren't going to be fake accounts liking things to be disruptive, but because some switch flips when you hit 10k posts and you are now better at liking. It was just a convenient pre-existing group to grant more likes.

We already raised the limits once. We'll probably do it again if the cap is being run into repeatedly by normal users.  It's just that, as Marwood says when he brought it up previously (and we raised the cap at that time), after that "I thought I had some good points really, but no one joined me in the fight so I gave up." -- It didn't seem like many people were running into the limit.

So it seems we're somewhat close to where the limit should be. Maybe a little low. (shrug)

I think it is far too low. I would increase it to 50, but for all groups, and not make a distinction between SVs and members. 

I think I said before, getting a message telling you that you can't like again today is a 'downer'. And a system designed to 'like' should not have a 'downer' element attached to it. 

Regarding your point about the trouble fake accounts can cause, am I right in saying that new members can only post twice on their first day, to stop them 'running riot'? If so, could you not set their likes limits accordingly? I really don't like (no pun intended) a system that places a cap on 99.9% of members to head off the 0.1% that may or may not abuse it. Needs of the many etc.

My last try on this one - why do you want to keep the Leaderboard? Have you ever seen anyone mention it, or refer to it (apart from me in these posts)? What is the point of it? If you switch if off, you have no issues re gaming. Introduce a cap on new members (if possible) and you stop that abuse. Why do we always have to suffer en masse because you want to stop one or two people being silly?

Why not ask the members Arch with a poll?

1 minute ago, bc said:

Also agree that more participation by CGC peeps would benefit the boards.

See a lot of posts in this thread about selling & values, just a few about creating a better community and increasing the quality of the content

Spot on bc. That is always my underlying point. Make things better, by pointing out what is wrong and inviting solutions / better ways of working.