• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

19 pages! :headbang:

I'm off now, as the new series of Shetland is on in a minute and I have to spend some time with the wife before she forgets what I look like (which would be no bad thing for her actually). 

@Architecht

Arch - when you closed the 'I hate the new boards' thread you took away the place that people gathered to have a moan. People like to moan, and will always moan. Some people get that, others think it means that they have no life and need to get out more. But every expression of dissatisfaction here is rooted in one thing - people love the site, love the community and want it to be as good as it can be.

Your job, if you choose to accept it, is to read up and see if you can identify things which you think will help us and, therefore, CGC. I want you to do a good job of that, and will support any heart felt attempt to make things better. 

This thread is the most excitement we've seen in ages. Let people moan, listen to what they're saying. See what you can do to help, putting their needs before your own.

And try to catch Shetland too. Great show. (thumbsu

Just now, BlowUpTheMoon said:

They are so many things broken on the "new" Boards that the "like system" shouldn't even be a priority.

react_like.png.31fa3e5f11fb8503ea571cb56b2a2fce.png

Oh ...now I'm part of the problem.

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:
7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

They are so many things broken on the "new" Boards that the "like system" shouldn't even be a priority.

react_like.png.31fa3e5f11fb8503ea571cb56b2a2fce.png

Oh ...now I'm part of the problem.

There is a God! :roflmao:

b.thumb.PNG.13bc03fbdda4eb0689eafdf84a2721bd.PNG

2 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
10 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

And try to catch Shetland too. Great show. (thumbsu

Looks good. I enjoyed the heck outta Luther!

Oh yes! Now stop quoting me or I'll miss it....:grin:

53 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:
20 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

The influx of new members has been a positive for these Boards , one new member (class of 2015) in particular has the most amazing sales threads ever ! if anyone has missed out on these sales they are missing out on one of the greatest features of these boards ... even if they are buyers or not a GREAT SALES THREAD is a thing of beauty to behold...

Another GREAT new member (class of 2013)  was a much needed lifeblood here and a breath of fresh air with amazing Comic artistry knowledge and background ...alas @kav  was driven away by the old school guard whose presence on these boards was and still is an EXTREME detriment to all new member who dare have their own opinion,... the ignore function has been a Godsend but it can only help so much against the old guard who still believe they own these boards

MANY of the newer class of members who have joined since 2013 have been constantly belittled by senior members, many of us have received posts with masked profanity, and other times thinly veiled or outright personal attacks ,we have been targeted by group cliques who are completely intolerant of opinions different than their own, we can't even root for our favorite super bowl team without being intranet bullied by senior members..

Thank GOD the worst of these old school offenders hang primarily in the water cooler so venture there at your own risk , but they still often find their way into comics general

who are you? are you even serious? Do you know how many of the "old guard" paid for funerals, replaced burned down houses, helped members when they lost their homes, gave money to those who were in NEED, and NEVER asked for even a thank you! You want to talk about the character of those men and women like you are capable of telling your hole from the one in the ground? Are some of the guys a bit snarky, yes, do they like that the sense of community has lessened in time? Yes. But I am shocked that a guy who has been here for such a short time knows SOOO much about what made this place to begin with. Even I missed some of the best times on this board, and yes we are a little reserved in who we take in after countless scammers, frauds, and thieves have made their way in over the years? Damn, there are reasons for things and maybe if you listened more you would understand why people are the way they are. I wish the "old guard" would come back because alot of those people were good people and are missed, especially when they provided some awesome conversation.

A-f-bomb-ing-men.

20 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Arrrgh, I'm missing Shetland!

I agree, completely.

The PM issues, search engine flaws, journals migration and housekeeping issues are all far more pressing. It's just the way the thread goes, as we all contribute. It's up to the staff to gather, organise, prioritise any actions.

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

The old dial up noise actually sounded a bit like the Floyd. 

That's what I try to explain to my wife: anything is music. I enjoy the music (sounds) of household fans, hissing radiators and tape-loop kinda stuff. I guess the kids call it Drone Ambient. I'm listening to some now: Tim Hecker

37 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

The boards are what they are.  Going on year 16, so it's natural that they aren't the same.  It used to feel like a tighter community (and it probably was...less members, less time here, etc).  Certified grading was new, uncharted territory.  Now, it's the norm (there are over 10K copies graded of Hulk 181 for crying out loud!).  9.8's are commonplace.  In 2006, they weren't.   CPR is the standard now, not an anomaly.  

Comics are a commodity, driven more (now) by what has been optioned for a movie/show rather than the importance of a book (ASM 31 still doesn't get the love it deserves, IMO).  

More threads about "what should I be buying" now as opposed to "wow!  Look at this 9.6 Silver ASM".  

I'm sure the new format drove some people away (Chuck Gower...looking at you!).  I didn't like it at first, but it is an improvement (especially from a smartphone perspective).  What are you gonna do?   It's still the best place to talk about comics.  Even without those tat left, the knowledge here is so far ahead of anywhere else.  

The contingent from $teamtarantula has the floor.

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

Oh, believe me. I know how to act. I have made some of these guys lose their minds and have tantrum status melt downs. @seanfingh do you remember my constant trolling of Roy back in the day?

You and me both. I used to empty the clip into him daily.

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

I think it is far too low. I would increase it to 50, but for all groups, and not make a distinction between SVs and members. 

I think I said before, getting a message telling you that you can't like again today is a 'downer'. And a system designed to 'like' should not have a 'downer' element attached to it. 

Regarding your point about the trouble fake accounts can cause, am I right in saying that new members can only post twice on their first day, to stop them 'running riot'? If so, could you not set their likes limits accordingly? I really don't like (no pun intended) a system that places a cap on 99.9% of members to head off the 0.1% that may or may not abuse it. Needs of the many etc.

My last try on this one - why do you want to keep the Leaderboard? Have you ever seen anyone mention it, or refer to it (apart from me in these posts)? What is the point of it? If you switch if off, you have no issues re gaming. Introduce a cap on new members (if possible) and you stop that abuse. Why do we always have to suffer en masse because you want to stop one or two people being silly?

Why not ask the members Arch with a poll?

I don't really care either way, but I'm just curious  as to why you would want more than 50 likes a day? 

I'm usually a pretty positive person, but unless I sat here all day, I'd have a hard time finding that many things I "liked".

BTW, if you are going to quote  me with a picture that I won't understand, please add a translation...;) 

I've found some threads to read when looking at the leaderboard. There is a list of recent threads with the most "likes" otherwise I'd agree with you. I don't really see the point.  We did perfectly fine when all you could do was +1 to indicate that you agreed with something.

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I don't really care either way, but I'm just curious  as to why you would want more than 50 likes a day? 

I'm usually a pretty positive person, but unless I sat here all day, I'd have a hard time finding that many things I "liked".

BTW, if you are going to quote  me with a picture that I won't understand, please add a translation...;) 

I've found some threads to read when looking at the leaderboard. There is a list of recent threads with the most "likes" otherwise I'd agree with you. I don't really see the point.  We did perfectly fine when all you could do was +1 to indicate that you agreed with something.

+1