• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, COI said:

From my perspective, what most of the newb complaining stems from is people deciding that they're not getting the exact type of interactions they want, and instead of trying to figure out how to best orient themselves to get the most out of what this long-standing community has to offer, they launch into tirades castigating long-time members for doing it wrong and making them feel sad. And the moderation policy exacerbates this by assuming that any discontent can be fixed by tweaks, restrictions and time-outs.

The idea of an "old guard" trying to keep newbs out is fallacious nonsense. I've been here from year one and I've taken my share of criticisms and outright insults from fellow "old guard" members, and most of that was probably deserved. I can't believe I have to spell this out on a board full of middle-aged men, but that's how social interactions work. Some people will like you, some won't; people have wildly different micro and macro viewpoints of life; people naturally form into hierarchies and cliques; is this new to some of you? 

If you don't like an environment or social dynamic, leave, or do a little digging and see if you can find some things to like. Don't treat this place like it's your own personal play date, with mommy in the next room ready to pounce if things get scary for you. The irony of trying to dictate how things "should be" by constructing this old guard persecution narrative and having to resort to using ignore functions and 'notify moderator' buttons when Billy takes your ice-cream cone, isn't lost on people, and it's the reason why people get mocked for trying to "set things straight". And in the process, turning to moderation instead of putting on your big-boy pants has led to this ridiculous micro-management of social interactions to appease a vocal minority of malcontents, which isn't fun for anyone except the tattlers getting some brief catharsis when RMA gets suspended for the 40th time for speaking his mind.

24i2m0.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

29 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I don't really care either way, but I'm just curious  as to why you would want more than 50 likes a day?

Just think about that level of dopamine boosting :whatthe:

:cloud9: :cloud9:  overload

Make it a 100.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I think so, yes. I battled away with Arch on it for a time but just ended up making myself unpopular. I thought I had some good points really, but no one joined me in the fight so I gave up. There's some history here, if you're bored for 10 minutes:

I still think it's silly that 99.9% of us have to live with a cap, which was brought in to stop a handful of people running riot. If you turned off the Leaderboard, which as I understand it is the only visible manifestation of like volumes, then there would be no need for a cap. 

But I'm going over old ground here, we have Arch's position on it and that's that.

I'm out of likes already today.5a2f38d50abf4_2.jpg.5cd8966726ea5636090e9bab6a1e1847.jpg

2 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Getting rid of the post counts thread is unacceptable. I don't know why that thread had to go, it was harmless. You should restore it.

Out of likes again.

That durn yella covers thread ate em up.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

Please list 50 comics I can find in a dollar box that will be worth $25 or more by next year.

Also, please list for me all the comic shops you go to for good deals where the owners are clueless re: market prices.

Thanks.

Yup. "Please do all the hard work for me" threads.

29 minutes ago, COI said:

From my perspective, what most of the newb complaining stems from is people deciding that they're not getting the exact type of interactions they want, and instead of trying to figure out how to best orient themselves to get the most out of what this long-standing community has to offer, they launch into tirades castigating long-time members for doing it wrong and making them feel sad. And the moderation policy exacerbates this by assuming that any discontent can be fixed by tweaks, restrictions and time-outs.

The idea of an "old guard" trying to keep newbs out is fallacious nonsense. I've been here from year one and I've taken my share of criticisms and outright insults from fellow "old guard" members, and most of that was probably deserved. I can't believe I have to spell this out on a board full of middle-aged men, but that's how social interactions work. Some people will like you, some won't; people have wildly different micro and macro viewpoints of life; people naturally form into hierarchies and cliques; is this new to some of you? 

If you don't like an environment or social dynamic, leave, or do a little digging and see if you can find some things to like. Don't treat this place like it's your own personal play date, with mommy in the next room ready to pounce if things get scary for you. The irony of trying to dictate how things "should be" by constructing this old guard persecution narrative and having to resort to using ignore functions and 'notify moderator' buttons when Billy takes your ice-cream cone, isn't lost on people, and it's the reason why people get mocked for trying to "set things straight". And in the process, turning to moderation instead of putting on your big-boy pants has led to this ridiculous micro-management of social interactions to appease a vocal minority of malcontents, which isn't fun for anyone except the tattlers getting some brief catharsis when RMA gets suspended for the 40th time for speaking his mind.

24idoj.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

(I liked your post before I read the last paragraph.)

2 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

who are you? are you even serious? Do you know how many of the "old guard" paid for funerals, replaced burned down houses, helped members when they lost their homes, gave money to those who were in NEED, and NEVER asked for even a thank you! You want to talk about the character of those men and women like you are capable of telling your hole from the one in the ground? Are some of the guys a bit snarky, yes, do they like that the sense of community has lessened in time? Yes. But I am shocked that a guy who has been here for such a short time knows SOOO much about what made this place to begin with. Even I missed some of the best times on this board, and yes we are a little reserved in who we take in after countless scammers, frauds, and thieves have made their way in over the years? Damn, there are reasons for things and maybe if you listened more you would understand why people are the way they are. I wish the "old guard" would come back because alot of those people were good people and are missed, especially when they provided some awesome conversation.

liked

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

Damn straight. Thanks to the wonderful people on the cgc boards, I was able to survive for a year after my heart transplant because of their generosity. I wasn't yet getting disability, and because I wasn't working, I didn't have a prescription plan and these meds are expensive. So God bless the members of the cgc forms. I'll never forget what they did for me.

super liked.

If it wasn't for the warmth and support from here,I don't know where i'd be.

hearts and hugs and stuff for everyone.

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

It's still the best place to talk about comics.  Even without those tat left, the knowledge here is so far ahead of anywhere else.  

The only thing I know,is that before I arrived here,I knew nothing.