• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:
29 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I get the "joke" but how is it relevant to the discussion? 

Funny doesn't always fit into the discussion but it transcends the discussion.

banana082.gif

1 hour ago, DR.X said:

Here's my 2c. I think just about every one who joins is at one point or another suspected of being a shill. And sometimes its true. When I first joined no one every replied to anything I commented about. Kind of like it is now. lol Did I feel left out, of course. Did I go in the corner and cry, of course I did. Bwaaaaaaaaah.

But seriously, I started sending some boardies who I could tell were very well respected some P.M.'s. One of the first I contacted was Nik. I had some scannner questions and he replied, and was very helpful. It broke the ice. I also contacted FT, Ressurection, and just asked some silly newb questions. But it broke the ice. There were others  and Greggy was not one of them. I think I even contacted Baltimore Lauren and Sharon.

Things started to ease up and before you know it I started to get people replying and talking to me and giving me sheet like it should be. Do I inter act and like everyone here. No. Does everyone like me. Hell no. But you don't have to be like Sad Sack and loved by millions. There's plenty of great people on here to interact with and meet at cons and talk and do business with. I've met a ton over the years. So pick and choose your battles here and who you want to chum up with. There's plenty of dorks to fit what ever your looking for. Now I have to run to the gym and pass out more candy to my freaks. You don't need flowers for a woman, just a bag of chocolate malted milk balls. Yesterday was a big day there as I gave out four gift bags to some female fans. LOL.

trish and lisa.jpg

Always been a good dude in my book.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
15 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

I have been here for 10 years now and havent achieved "seasoned veteran" BUT I got a custom title from Arch, so that wins.

But it was briefly taken away...and you lost the ...aaaarrrgh! 

There's a weird behavior in the boards that we have tried to get the software vendor to fix. Basically, when someone passes the post count threshold, they become a seasoned vet. But because it's a boards-only permissions group, when you log out and back in, it resets you to a "member". As soon as you make another post, it promotes you again.

It's a bit annoying.

2 minutes ago, Architecht said:

There's a weird behavior in the boards that we have tried to get the software vendor to fix. Basically, when someone passes the post count threshold, they become a seasoned vet. But because it's a boards-only permissions group, when you log out and back in, it resets you to a "member". As soon as you make another post, it promotes you again.

It's a bit annoying.

But at least you are periodically re-seasoned for tastier posting...., 

lol

Like several of the other old dogs said, sometimes priorities change.  Back in the day I used to be able to spend several hours a day watching these boards, reading, replying, getting into argument, insulting people.  As real life changed (kids, job, etc.) so did my interest in and ability to dedicate that much time to a message board.

Another thing that dampened things here was Facebook.  The message board format quickly became cumbersome and has virtually died out.  Facebook and Twitter took away a lot of people who used to regularly contribute.

As far as people getting along or feeling like no one responds to them meh , all I can say is, you should have seen this place 15 years ago.  Damn, it was like Thunderdome sometimes... and it really didn't matter.  In fact it actually made this place a lot more interesting.  Regardless of what was said, most of us remained friends, probably because we all had a deep love for the hobby.

I think the final wet towel came from people choosing to not search before asking.  There is a ton of great, in depth information out here.  A lot of it requires a lot of background so the thread are long and detailed.  Over time all of these deep, meaningful discussions seem to have been replaced with dozens of repetitive posts like, "How do I press books?", "What is this NM 98 worth?", "Why is Greggy such a dork?"  For a long time after I got busy I would lurk, looking for new threads or interesting posts.  What I found was everything was repeating; there was almost no new content.

21 minutes ago, Stronguy said:

Like several of the other old dogs said, sometimes priorities change.  Back in the day I used to be able to spend several hours a day watching these boards, reading, replying, getting into argument, insulting people.  As real life changed (kids, job, etc.) so did my interest in and ability to dedicate that much time to a message board.

Another thing that dampened things here was Facebook.  The message board format quickly became cumbersome and has virtually died out.  Facebook and Twitter took away a lot of people who used to regularly contribute.

As far as people getting along or feeling like no one responds to them meh , all I can say is, you should have seen this place 15 years ago.  Damn, it was like Thunderdome sometimes... and it really didn't matter.  In fact it actually made this place a lot more interesting.  Regardless of what was said, most of us remained friends, probably because we all had a deep love for the hobby.

I think the final wet towel came from people choosing to not search before asking.  There is a ton of great, in depth information out here.  A lot of it requires a lot of background so the thread are long and detailed.  Over time all of these deep, meaningful discussions seem to have been replaced with dozens of repetitive posts like, "How do I press books?", "What is this NM 98 worth?", "Why is Greggy such a dork?"  For a long time after I got busy I would lurk, looking for new threads or interesting posts.  What I found was everything was repeating; there was almost no new content.

Cuz I can

24 minutes ago, Architecht said:

It's a bit annoying.

Mine always read "Sultan of Short-Temperance"...but I can't find it now! 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

He is old so he uses ice box instead of frig but he also is so old he doesn't know packing fudge is slang for something else.  Get it??

I know exactly what it means, and I still don't get it.  And how old am I 106? lol

41 minutes ago, Stronguy said:

+ 1

I like the Thunderdome comparison lol true dat!

4 minutes ago, Mike's Rack said:

For me, I came here less and less after the format change.  It's psychological for me but I just can't get used to the new format.  I'm trying to force myself to engage with the hope that it will become more comfortable, but I've had a tough time connecting on the new format.  

I don't like it either and think lots of it is over kill. I'm sure it could be tweaked to make it more user friendly but for now it is what it is.

I think we should change the title of this thread to " Is This Place Deadlier Than Ever ", but we'd have to get Greggy all riled up and you wouldn't like him when he's riled up.

Edited by DR.X

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

I was never mistreated by the "old guard" back when I came on.

I've had nothing but great experiences here. (shrug)

Like someone else already mentioned - you're obviously doing it wrong, jerk.