• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

The hazing when I joined was predatory and brutal.  

I still recall that Saturday, when the wolf pack attacked, angered by my arrogant, upstart use of polysyllabic words after only a mere and, unlucky for me, 13 posts here.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, newshane said:

I was never mistreated by the "old guard" back when I came on.

I've had nothing but great experiences here. (shrug)

My first post ever was in reply to someone looking for particular copper age book. I think it was Matt (anfieldfox), so I joined up (after almost 2 years of lurking) and posted a picture of a copy that I had for sale. IIRC it was oldguy who shredded me to pieces thinking I was someone else. Took a few weeks to get that straightened out. Fortunately for me I knew a few board members through eBay so it made the transition a little easier. If I had based this place solely on my "welcome" I would have been gone 1/7/2006

1 minute ago, seanfingh said:

I lurked for two years before I started posting.  lol

Same. I've been "around" for at least 10 years, even if the join date only shows 8/9. It was intimidating, but eventually you have to jump in.

20 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Same. I've been "around" for at least 10 years, even if the join date only shows 8/9. It was intimidating, but eventually you have to jump in.

Agreed.

To be fair to this message board, just about all message boards will try to break balls and haze you when when you join them. It's part of game. To experiment I suggest the people who don't have thick skin go try to join another message board as a newbie in another hobby, and you will see the same pattern of newbie getting their balls busted.

This board is really actually one of the best boards around with a lot of nice people on it. Knowledge is second to none in the comic book field. 

(thumbsu

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

24 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

This was the first boards that I've every posted on so I had no prior experiences.

I lurked for about 6 months before diving in with a question about cracking a PGX slab IIRC. PointFive was among the first responders.

I never had an issue with hazing. My posts might've been ignored more than an old timer's, but no hard knocks.

12 years later still no hard knocks and still persona non grata. :banana:

1 minute ago, greggy said:

This was the first boards that I've every posted on so I had no prior experiences.

I remember posting and reading a lot on the old E-Bay comic sales message boards and someone mentioned the CGC message boards as being a place to get questions answered.  Found it and probably lurked for a few weeks before signing up.  Wish I could remember my first post but I bet it was a perfect post.

Wasn't there a rating system for post in place back then?  It was a badge of honor to get a couple of the old timers to give you a high rating.  It never happened to me but I saw it happen once.

32 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I lurked for two years before I even joined the boards lol

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Wasn't there a rating system for post in place back then?  It was a badge of honor to get a couple of the old timers to give you a high rating.  It never happened to me but I saw it happen once.

Arch put the kibosh on ratings around 2006 IIRC. Wacky hijinks and zany antics were afoot when certain folks got trolled with low ratings, with predictably hilarious, ranting results.

6 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I lurked for about 6 months before diving in with a question about cracking a PGX slab IIRC. PointFive was among the first responders.

Ugh.  We used to be able to go back at look at first posts.  No more. @Architecht

pontoon.jpg.f11845df9c03c23c0e67352c18945667.jpg

11 minutes ago, greggy said:

The first message board I was a part of regularly lead to fist fights in public, this place is soooooo easy... Yes, I lost a few fist fights for running my fingers :sorry:

1 minute ago, Pontoon said:

Arch put the kibosh on ratings around 2006 IIRC. Wacky hijinks and zany antics were afoot when certain folks got trolled with low ratings, with predictably hilarious, ranting results.

I remember seeing them in 2007.  I also remember getting PMs from xxxTunaBushwickxxx (sp.) asking me to give his topic or post five stars.

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I remember posting and reading a lot on the old E-Bay comic sales message boards and someone mentioned the CGC message boards as being a place to get questions answered.  Found it and probably lurked for a few weeks before signing up.  Wish I could remember my first post but I bet it was a perfect post.

If by perfect you mean @zz-clown..., :eyeroll:

1 minute ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I remember seeing them in 2007.  I also remember getting PMs from xxxTunaBushwickxxx (sp.) asking me to give his topic or post five stars.

I kept giving the Beyonder one star ratings because he would complain about it all the time.  I don't think that he suspected me at that time.