• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

The first message board I was a part of regularly lead to fist fights in public, this place is soooooo easy... Yes, I lost a few fist fights for running my fingers :sorry:

kray-kray

what message boards? How did it get set up? How did it go down? I am interested in this for sure!

4 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Some of yall should have just stayed lurking, still haven't seen some of you knuckleheads make a good post...

(thumbsu

2 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
4 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Arch put the kibosh on ratings around 2006 IIRC. Wacky hijinks and zany antics were afoot when certain folks got trolled with low ratings, with predictably hilarious, ranting results.

I remember seeing them in 2007.  I also remember getting PMs from xxxTunaBushwickxxx (sp.) asking me to give his topic or post five stars.

Yeah, I couldn't remember exactly, just that they were done away with not all that long after i joined.

Just now, Bird said:

kray-kray

what message boards? How did it get set up? How did it go down? I am interested in this for sure!

East Coast Hardcore Website. It was all crazy hardcore kids from the 90-00s scene, people regularly got jumped at shows.

1 minute ago, The Resurrection said:
3 minutes ago, Bird said:

kray-kray

East Coast Hardcore Website. It was all crazy hardcore kids from the 90-00s scene, people regularly got jumped at shows.

I don't think I will be googling that...., :S

12 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

okay, thanks. That makes some sense...young, hardcore and already aware of where your adversaries are likely to be found.

14 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I'm sure she is blob. I've seen many words of praise and respect for her from her circle of friends and I'm sure we'd get along fine if we found some common ground. I don't think the Doctor is at all creepy personally. Those that do are, well..., creepy :cool:

I only responded to your question SPB, you wanted to know why I wanted more likes. I get the impression you've never liked me (see what I did there?) from the first time that you and Harvey threw me under the bus when I was a new inexperienced member trying to find my feet, to your passive aggressive digs when I was vocal about board issues last year.

I think your comment that you've 'never seen me post a comic' is very inaccurate and unfair and indicative of unfounded hostility. Take a look at the 'about me' page on my profile, and look at some of the threads I've created and the hundreds, if not thousands of comic images I've posted within them. 

You'll see that I have brought a huge body of information to the boards, from detailed Marvel / DC pence book summaries to price variants, font variants, promos, misprints etc etc. None of these things may interest you personally, but I hope you would at least acknowledge the effort put into them. I am not into your GA books, because I can't afford them and can only dream of owning them. But I do often pop across to GA threads and make comments and show appreciation of stunning books, collections and comments.

I hope you will look at some of my threads, and maybe come back and apologise.

If you do, we can move forward and be nice to each other. I know you are Sharon. I'm Steve - pleased, I hope, to meet you :foryou:

am.thumb.PNG.9c2332fe0a3efe6584394a19db911989.PNG

I think you need to know someone a little better before you use terms like passive aggressive, Steve. If I didn't come right out and say that I thought you were being mean about the changes and nasty last year, it was because I was trying to be polite. Sorry if you took that the wrong way. I guess I should have just said you were being awfully aggressive for someone who was so new to the community.  THAT was what kept convincing me that you were not really new.

Tim was right about thinking SOME new people are shills, I thought (and I was not alone) that you were either a long time lurker, or you appeared to have been here before, then  you posted with 2 voices, you and your wife? That is not usual.  I'm not sure what kind of bus I threw you under, but did I think there was something wrong absolutely. I doubt very much I hid those thoughts, if I did, I apologize.

Then there were your  two dramatic exits. I'm usually ok with the first dramatic exit. By the 2nd one, I try to just avoid the person, because I don't think it's going to stop.

As far as seeing your contributions, they sound  wonderful, but  I don't really read the variant threads, nor the modern threads, I don't collect those things and my time is limited, so I just skim the stuff that I'm more interested in. NOT THAT GA is better, I might like it better, but you don't have to.

As far as new people go, I honestly try to be nice to them. I don't think too many other people will accuse me of not being nice to a new person, UNLESS,  I think that person is a shill, then I'm really cautious.

It has nothing to do with not "liking" you. I'd have to know you to "like" or "dislike" you. I didn't like the constant kvetching about every tiny thing that was going wrong in the beginning of last year. Did I think things were going wrong, ABSOLUTELY, but my goal was to preserve this place, because I've loved this forum and the people here (with very few  exceptions) for years. I was afraid that with everyone complaining, it would drive more people away. What I tried to do instead was to help some friends who were not posting, learn the new boards, as well as I could.

You actually had a few good ideas regarding software that I found very helpful, and I vaguely remember saying that, if I didn't, I apologize for that, but it was probably because I was completely lost in space myself at the time and really struggling to make sense of it all.  Had nothing to do with liking or not liking you. 

Now can we be done with this, please? I know you've had at least one other thread where you mentioned me. It did not seem like it was positive.  I didn't go after you in that thread, nor was I here.  I really absolutely do not get what is so wonderful about "likes" that you need more than 50, EXCEPT, it's easier to hit a heart than to type +1. If it helps to understand, I don't do facebook. It just was not something I wanted to spend time doing, and I don't like posting personal stuff in an open space.

If you have anything else to share about me, feel free to pm me. 

Thank  you.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Edited by skypinkblu
grammar

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

My first post ever was in reply to someone looking for particular copper age book. I think it was Matt (anfieldfox), so I joined up (after almost 2 years of lurking) and posted a picture of a copy that I had for sale. IIRC it was oldguy who shredded me to pieces thinking I was someone else. Took a few weeks to get that straightened out. Fortunately for me I knew a few board members through eBay so it made the transition a little easier. If I had based this place solely on my "welcome" I would have been gone 1/7/2006

I was given specific instructions by an eBay friend when I came here. Don't HUG anyone and don't try to sell anything for at least a year.

Oh and don't get upset if people are mean.

I had no problems;) took me years before I felt safe doing this (((Joey;);)

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
29 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

If by perfect you mean @zz-clown..., :eyeroll:

Masking and insulting.  Button humped!

That's the spirit, snowflake!

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

I lurked for two years before I started posting.  lol

Seriously. It was right around the time Astonishing X-Men #1 came out. I picked up a few copies and overheard someone at work mention getting them graded. 

When I joined the boards, I spent my first 100 posts answering requests in the PGM forum while I was lurking other threads.  I think I waited months to post my first thread.  You have to fit in when you join any new group, workplace, or social gathering, or people will shut you out of the circle.  That's life.

The sales forum is my biggest frustration.  People who are too busy to chat are there anytime a PCH or good girl book is posted.  I dip my toes in that water from time to time, but I'd almost be happier if the sales forums were invite-only, or gone entirely.  It would certainly remove a lot of the pretense of the people just looking to vulture a deal.

Edited by FineCollector

6 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I respect your opinion as a longtime member, but I would like to know where you are coming from with this. I feel like you are putting all the responsibility on the newcomers to fit in or get out. 

You don't have to respect my opinion because I'm a long-time member. That's exactly my point. 

Everyone should be responsible for their own posts, old or new. And if you're not getting the reaction you want, maybe taking a step back and trying to figure out why you're getting a certain reaction is in order, instead of assuming everyone else is wrong and lecturing them about it.

2 minutes ago, COI said:

You don't have to respect my opinion because I'm a long-time member. That's exactly my point. 

Everyone should be responsible for their own posts, old or new. And if you're not getting the reaction you want, maybe taking a step back and trying to figure out why you're getting a certain reaction is in order, instead of assuming everyone else is wrong and lecturing them about it.

Your first two posts:

COI.thumb.jpg.2b48c53c2af68c74a24610b9c12223dc.jpg

6 hours ago, The_Endless said:

This post and the likes it has sums up some of the challenges for new members. I read it as "I was insulted and harassed but I survived so you should too when I or others do the same to you".  

No old guard trying to keep newbs out but "there are hierarchies and cliques". 

Middle-aged men....I sure wish we could get teens , young adults and women in....not gonna happen though

big-boy pants, mommy in the next room, Billy takes your ice cream cone....won't even go int what's wrong with these statements

You read my post wrong, and you're not making any points here.

That's not because of your join date, it's because you read my post wrong and aren't making any points here.

8 minutes ago, COI said:

Fair enough. I just felt your original post with all the "mommy in the next room", "stealing ice cream" stuff was lecturing in and of itself. 

No hard feelings :bigsmile: