• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

I have noticed that most if not all posts on the forum concern the condition of comics, post after post feature these comments. I love comics and their art specifically the story behind their creation, whether it's the artists or writers and even the publishers I would like to hear more as I'm sure there are a lot of knowledgeable members on this forum.  I have just been here a few years and my post count is laughable compared to others. As for comics in general I'll admit I'm a noob but I'm eager to learn, so where are the posts on the Kirby Crackle or why Marvels early art looks better than DC or Charlton's.    

5 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I have noticed that most if not all posts on the forum concern the condition of comics, post after post feature these comments. I love comics and their art specifically the story behind their creation, whether it's the artists or writers and even the publishers I would like to hear more as I'm sure there are a lot of knowledgeable members on this forum.  I have just been here a few years and my post count is laughable compared to others. As for comics in general I'll admit I'm a noob but I'm eager to learn, so where are the posts on the Kirby Crackle or why Marvels early art looks better than DC or Charlton's.    

People post about more than condition here. We also talk about print runs

Can someone explain why we need more members?

There were plenty of people here in 2003 to keep things lively, and the membership was a fraction of what it is today. 

More members won't bring my pernts back or get Dupcak to make an appearance.

4 minutes ago, COI said:

There were plenty of people here in 2003 to keep things lively, and the membership was a fraction of what it is today. 

Might as well throw in Alley Bat too. :banana:

1 minute ago, Jimbo749 said:

Consider this my application for apprenticeship.

You have to be a hang around first, and then voted in as a prospect. There's a procedure around here buster.

16 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Almost everything that has ever been posted here is still available to read. Thousands and thousands of old threads just waiting to be (re)discovered.

You can sort each forum in multiple ways to find threads or you can Google search by domain if you're looking for something more specific.

On 2/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, 1Cool said:

Who use to talk a lot and is missing?  Roy use to get into a steady stream of long winded arguments and that is gone for sure. 

:shy:

I think you meant to say discussions.

8 minutes ago, COI said:

HotBox.

• Administrator

Time to update the end is coming thread?

Sadly, some of the old links don't work, and I couldn't identify them all :(

Ironically, each successive thread about how the boards are past their prime has more replies than the previous versions. hm

That said, I do think the growth of social media, and things like facebook groups have reduced the "market share" of conversations that message boards have. A dedicated message board like this is still the best way to have long form conversations among aficionados, but some of the other avenues for discussion have soaked up some users.

I always read these threads with interest (even though I am being a little tongue in cheek about it with the below thread), because there is a real ebb and flow to the community that is important to respect. I'm always interested in how I can help the community grow, either by leading, following or getting out of the way.

Oh, and by the way - like limits raised a bit.

13 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Ironically, each successive thread about how the boards are past their prime has more replies than the previous versions. hm

That said, I do think the growth of social media, and things like facebook groups have reduced the "market share" of conversations that message boards have. A dedicated message board like this is still the best way to have long form conversations among aficionados, but some of the other avenues for discussion have soaked up some users.

I always read these threads with interest (even though I am being a little tongue in cheek about it with the below thread), because there is a real ebb and flow to the community that is important to respect. I'm always interested in how I can help the community grow, either by leading, following or getting out of the way.

I get the irony and I get the ebb and flow thing, but at some point there is enough of a change in climate that it's worth discussing and not simply dismissing. And I'm not suggesting that you're dismissing it, but the tongue-in-cheek way that you've kept track of these kinds of threads may have the unintended effect of diminishing or obscuring some of the points being made here.

Also, I'd like my custom title back, please. 

Edited by COI

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, COI said:

I get the irony and I get the ebb and flow thing, but at some point there is enough of a change in climate that it's worth discussing and not simply dismissing. And I'm not suggesting that you're dismissing it, but the tongue-in-cheek way that you've kept track of these kinds of threads may have the unintended effect of diminishing or obscuring some of the points being made here.

Also, I'd like my custom title back, please. 

Fair point. I do view these things from the long perspective, so the sentiments of the moment are always in that context for me, and that can make it feel like I'm not listening.  That said, part of the reason I have a list of these threads at all is because I do listen. I know they exist because I care about how people are feeling.

These boards are great, and the knowledgeable people rummaging around here are a treasure. The community is supportive, and has camaraderie and friendships, and drama, and all the things you see in a vibrant, caring group.

You guys should all be proud of the community you have created, and proud of being members of it.