• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, DR.X said:

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about in your posts but it sounds like your whinning. Why don't you try to P.M. someone to sort things out as lots of this stuff does not need to be thrown into the public eye. The woman tried to set things straight. People on here don't forget what people say and how they say it, wether on these boards or on another one. Sharon has done more charity threads, collected more fricking cash, and offered help to more people on these boards, then probably anyone else.  When people get called out for nonsense on these boards, its usually because they're stirring up nonsense. Like I said in a previous post, pick and choose your battles. Now if you want to go at it with me. Fine. Send me a P.M.

You're sticking up for your friend Doc, I get that and would do the same in your shoes.

You're right about the battles. I've been fighting a corner, and have lost. So time to move on. Be well :foryou:

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

You're sticking up for your friend Doc, I get that and would do the same in your shoes.

You're right about the battles. I've been fighting a corner, and have lost. So time to move on. Be well :foryou:

Marwood, what battle are you talking about? This is a comic book chat board. People make there own battles on here and tell me what you lost? There is nothing here to lose. And Sharon does not need anyone sticking up for her, she's very capable of speaking for herself and conduct herself in a polite and civilized manner. You just don't like what she has said for some reason.

I still don't know what the gripe is here in reality. People are getting riled up about the " like button ". Really. I could care less about it either way. Does not make me feel any better or any worse if someone likes the krap I post. It only matters to me what Greggy thinks.  People are free to choose who and what they discuss. And there are cliques in here if you want to call them that. Some people hang in the modern section. I guess that's a clique. Some in bronze, silver, gold. All different personalities and opinions. They inter act with each other and such in other sections. I very rarely hang in those sections because I might not have an interest in there.  Again, pick and choose who and where you want to hang around in here, but don't take it personal if someone is not participating in certain areas or liking your posts or reading them.

I don't care about 90% of the nonsense on here or have time to sift through it. It's nothing personal, I just don't have the time or interest to do it. So stop whining about things that are not a priority and move on. It doesn't make any sense. And like I said previously, if you want to discuss things take it to a P.M. sometimes and hash it out instead trying  fan public opinion and open a can of worms about nonsense.

I said a few months ago that I lost three friends last year, and my mother recently. I never mentioned it but I had two close riding brothers battling stage 4 throat cancer, and one with colon and liver cancer. The later I was there every day for him through every bit of treatment, surgery, chemo, and all of it. I was on 24 hour call if he need anything, weather it was groceries, a ride to or from chemo, it didn't matter. We don't abandon our brothers in the motorcycle world. What does that have to do with this, nothing. But my friend. Those are real battles to be won or lost. Not rock throwing debates on here. And for what its worth, both of these men fought hard and are 100% cancer free.

And lastly, the only thing you should be concerned with is making a better guess in this years Christmas contest if I'm still walking, because your guess last year was lousy.

11 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I noticed all the cool books you had on eBay, and I was wondering why they weren't sold here.

I’ve never sold a single book on eBay and don’t have anything listed on eBay right now aside from a single SWCT card. :D I’ve ONLY sold books from my personal collection on the Boards. You must think I’m someone else on eBay.

On February 18, 2018 at 2:27 AM, lizards2 said:

I expected hand in mouth with you - you continue to surprise.

It's good, Liz! We gotta diversify our array of thread krap superpowers! It'll be like the Legion! "Look out! Here comes Bug Gasser Lad!" We'll have more firepower than the Perez era Avengers. :sumo:

I still like to check in often. I don't post often because someone has my opinion covered by the time I get around to reading a thread and a smartphone is not the best intermediary for someone who's slow getting thoughts into words in the first place.

I think this is the best place around if you have  passion for comics and can cut through the noise - and only a little at that.

2 hours ago, DR.X said:

Marwood, what battle are you talking about? This is a comic book chat board. People make there own battles on here and tell me what you lost? There is nothing here to lose. And Sharon does not need anyone sticking up for her, she's very capable of speaking for herself and conduct herself in a polite and civilized manner. You just don't like what she has said for some reason.

I still don't know what the gripe is here in reality. People are getting riled up about the " like button ". Really. I could care less about it either way. Does not make me feel any better or any worse if someone likes the krap I post. It only matters to me what Greggy thinks.  People are free to choose who and what they discuss. And there are cliques in here if you want to call them that. Some people hang in the modern section. I guess that's a clique. Some in bronze, silver, gold. All different personalities and opinions. They inter act with each other and such in other sections. I very rarely hang in those sections because I might not have an interest in there.  Again, pick and choose who and where you want to hang around in here, but don't take it personal if someone is not participating in certain areas or liking your posts or reading them.

I don't care about 90% of the nonsense on here or have time to sift through it. It's nothing personal, I just don't have the time or interest to do it. So stop whining about things that are not a priority and move on. It doesn't make any sense. And like I said previously, if you want to discuss things take it to a P.M. sometimes and hash it out instead trying  fan public opinion and open a can of worms about nonsense.

I said a few months ago that I lost three friends last year, and my mother recently. I never mentioned it but I had two close riding brothers battling stage 4 throat cancer, and one with colon and liver cancer. The later I was there every day for him through every bit of treatment, surgery, chemo, and all of it. I was on 24 hour call if he need anything, weather it was groceries, a ride to or from chemo, it didn't matter. We don't abandon our brothers in the motorcycle world. What does that have to do with this, nothing. But my friend. Those are real battles to be won or lost. Not rock throwing debates on here. And for what its worth, both of these men fought hard and are 100% cancer free.

And lastly, the only thing you should be concerned with is making a better guess in this years Christmas contest if I'm still walking, because your guess last year was lousy.

I'm a bit disappointed to see you come after me like this Doc, as I've been quite kind to you in the past. I know you're sticking up for Sharon, as I already said, but as you say she can fight her own battles. To repeat, she repeated past accusations that I'm a shill, a former member etc. I'm sure if someone called you that, you'd respond soon enough, and firmly enough. How I feel is that Sharon has called me these things publicly, I have responded, and then you have criticised me for 'whining'. Slap a guy ten times, he slaps you back, and he's the bad guy for slapping you. I'm tired of that.

You've asked me twice to respond by PM, yet you yourself posted publicly both times. My gripe was with Sharon, who fired the opening shot, not with you. It seems you're happy to say your piece about me to the public audience, but want me in turn to respond privately. That's not fair is it?

The battles aren't battles as such, of course. In the context of this thread, I keep asking Arch questions which he doesn't answer. I say to him "Arch, the bathroom tap is leaking". He says "I like to consider all plumbing issues in the round, and weigh up the pro's and cons alongside other household issues before taking action". He then proceeds to do nothing. I want him to say, "Oh, is it? Thanks. I'll call the plumber now". Arch often responds at length and fully, but rarely to the points made to him.  So when you come back again, effectively saying "but you didn't answer the question" you get called a whiner. So, when I say I have 'lost the battle' I mean that I am no longer going to fight for improvements. If Arch thinks the way to respond to a 45 page thread with 130+ members all broadly indicating displeasure is to 'up the likes a bit' and to add the thread to his own, publicly visible, personal 'threads where people have moaned' thread, then I can't be bothered anymore. I'll do what everyone else does - ignore the problems, him, and just suit myself. 

If you look at my original post earlier in the thread, outlining my thoughts on why board traffic might be low, you'll see I barely mention the likes system. Like you, I don't care either, in context. I just don't like (heh heh) the unfair stance Arch adopts, i.e. allowing abuse and setting different levels for members vs seasoned vets. If you look at the leaderboard, you'll see its the SVs who are abusing the system, yet Arch states publicly the caps are to stop new members. Arch often uses language, and takes actions, which I think cement the distinction between new and old members. I think that is wrong and say so whenever the topic goes in that direction. You may disagree and call that whining - I call it speaking up for fairness. You old timers seem to make a virtue of 'calling out the BS', but you don't seem to like it when it's not you doing it or if it's directed at what you feel are the wrong things or people. 

If you read the whole thread, and note all the things said, the likes system is one of the least significant issues. Yet it is the only thing Arch has latched onto, having criticised me publicly for going on about it elsewhere. That's what Arch does, he picks and chooses, and makes you look like the villain. I asked him a while back to look at a list of seven or eight issues. He gave terse answers to all after a number of reminders and then plucked the likes system out of it again in his usual withering 'look everyone, at the silly man' way. Look also at how many people liked my brain dump post. And how many that echoed similar sentiments themselves in subsequent posts. Are they all whining too?

I have total sympathy for the personal situations you have faced. I face them myself right now in equal measure, as do many other board members that I have come to know and be friends with. But to use them as a stick with which to beat your opponent isn't right. You're effectively saying "stop having opinions about the boards because they don't compare to peoples personal problems". And that is 100% right - they don't. But they are completely separate things and I think it was an unworthy move on your part to bring them to the table in this way. Your personal losses have no bearing on, or connection to whether I do or don't like the likes system on a comic forum. 

I do thank you for one thing Doc - this has been cathartic for me, but I'm now going to focus my energies elsewhere, where they are needed. You have reminded me that to spend time here banging drums is largely pointless and unedifying. When I return, and I will, it will be all about the comics. This fighting stuff just eats at your soul, and I don't like it. If Sharon had not shot at me, we wouldn't be talking. If Arch took member concerns seriously, this thread wouldn't exist. But I don't feel silly or anything for being here typing this in the spare moments I have available to me. People love this place. You do, I do. That's why we get so emotional about it, protective of it, and place a significance to it that is perhaps sometimes out of proportion.

I wish you well again, genuinely, and hope I can guess a little better in your next competition. You're right, I was fairly terrible in the last one, yes. But if you knew what I had to wear just to be able to see the screen, you may be a little more forgiving!

Chin chin, and see you soon, assuming you don't want to murder me after reading this. Steve :headbang:

2 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I still like to check in often. I don't post often because someone has my opinion covered by the time I get around to reading a thread and a smartphone is not the best intermediary for someone who's slow getting thoughts into words in the first place.

I think this is the best place around if you have  passion for comics and can cut through the noise - and only a little at that.

That is pretty much my thoughts. I lurk a lot more than I post but I enjoy browsing through this place.

3 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I don't post often because someone has my opinion covered by the time I get around to reading a thread

I used to feel this way, but I figured that even if someone has the same idea is me I still might as well go ahead and post some sort of opinion on the matter.

My thoughts are still my own, and everyone deserves to know them.

7 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

I used to feel this way, but I figured that even if someone has the same idea is me I still might as well go ahead and post some sort of opinion on the matter.

My thoughts are still my own, and everyone deserves to know them.

You're quite right, our thoughts are our own and I appreciate all of you who do post or I would have nothing fun to read.:foryou:

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

I'm a bit disappointed to see you come after me like this Doc, as I've been quite kind to you in the past. I know you're sticking up for Sharon, as I already said, but as you say she can fight her own battles. To repeat, she repeated past accusations that I'm a shill, a former member etc. I'm sure if someone called you that, you'd respond soon enough, and firmly enough. How I feel is that Sharon has called me these things publicly, I have responded, and then you have criticised me for 'whining'. Slap a guy ten times, he slaps you back, and he's the bad guy for slapping you. I'm tired of that.

You've asked me twice to respond by PM, yet you yourself posted publicly both times. My gripe was with Sharon, who fired the opening shot, not with you. It seems you're happy to say your piece about me to the public audience, but want me in turn to respond privately. That's not fair is it?

The battles aren't battles as such, of course. In the context of this thread, I keep asking Arch questions which he doesn't answer. I say to him "Arch, the bathroom tap is leaking". He says "I like to consider all plumbing issues in the round, and weigh up the pro's and cons alongside other household issues before taking action". He then proceeds to do nothing. I want him to say, "Oh, is it? Thanks. I'll call the plumber now". Arch often responds at length and fully, but rarely to the points made to him.  So when you come back again, effectively saying "but you didn't answer the question" you get called a whiner. So, when I say I have 'lost the battle' I mean that I am no longer going to fight for improvements. If Arch thinks the way to respond to a 45 page thread with 130+ members all broadly indicating displeasure is to 'up the likes a bit' and to add the thread to his own, publicly visible, personal 'threads where people have moaned' thread, then I can't be bothered anymore. I'll do what everyone else does - ignore the problems, him, and just suit myself. 

If you look at my original post earlier in the thread, outlining my thoughts on why board traffic might be low, you'll see I barely mention the likes system. Like you, I don't care either, in context. I just don't like (heh heh) the unfair stance Arch adopts, i.e. allowing abuse and setting different levels for members vs seasoned vets. If you look at the leaderboard, you'll see its the SVs who are abusing the system, yet Arch states publicly the caps are to stop new members. Arch often uses language, and takes actions, which I think cement the distinction between new and old members. I think that is wrong and say so whenever the topic goes in that direction. You may disagree and call that whining - I call it speaking up for fairness. You old timers seem to make a virtue of 'calling out the BS', but you don't seem to like it when it's not you doing it or if it's directed at what you feel are the wrong things or people. 

If you read the whole thread, and note all the things said, the likes system is one of the least significant issues. Yet it is the only thing Arch has latched onto, having criticised me publicly for going on about it elsewhere. That's what Arch does, he picks and chooses, and makes you look like the villain. I asked him a while back to look at a list of seven or eight issues. He gave terse answers to all after a number of reminders and then plucked the likes system out of it again in his usual withering 'look everyone, at the silly man' way. Look also at how many people liked my brain dump post. And how many that echoed similar sentiments themselves in subsequent posts. Are they all whining too?

I have total sympathy for the personal situations you have faced. I face them myself right now in equal measure, as do many other board members that I have come to know and be friends with. But to use them as a stick with which to beat your opponent isn't right. You're effectively saying "stop having opinions about the boards because they don't compare to peoples personal problems". And that is 100% right - they don't. But they are completely separate things and I think it was an unworthy move on your part to bring them to the table in this way. Your personal losses have no bearing on, or connection to whether I do or don't like the likes system on a comic forum. 

I do thank you for one thing Doc - this has been cathartic for me, but I'm now going to focus my energies elsewhere, where they are needed. You have reminded me that to spend time here banging drums is largely pointless and unedifying. When I return, and I will, it will be all about the comics. This fighting stuff just eats at your soul, and I don't like it. If Sharon had not shot at me, we wouldn't be talking. If Arch took member concerns seriously, this thread wouldn't exist. But I don't feel silly or anything for being here typing this in the spare moments I have available to me. People love this place. You do, I do. That's why we get so emotional about it, protective of it, and place a significance to it that is perhaps sometimes out of proportion.

I wish you well again, genuinely, and hope I can guess a little better in your next competition. You're right, I was fairly terrible in the last one, yes. But if you knew what I had to wear just to be able to see the screen, you may be a little more forgiving!

Chin chin, and see you soon, assuming you don't want to murder me after reading this. Steve :headbang:

Well, as a comics collector outsider, you had me until the "Chin chin" bit.:taptaptap: