• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,619 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2018 at 2:10 PM, Jeffro. said:
On 2/19/2018 at 11:52 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

This board is, indeed, one of the best on the internet related to comics, and has been for a very long time. Some of the best and the brightest have gravitated here. The reason isn't because of the board, or how it's managed, or how it functions, or what it features. The reason is because they connected with other people who shared their interests. I know that's hard for administrators to accept...everyone wants to think that it's "the program" that is the draw...but it's not, in any place where people interact socially. 

The same is true of clubs, bars, sewing circles, online message boards, and anywhere else people gather socially. 

The reason this board has been great is because of the people who make it so. The members are not, and never have been, the problem, even the worst among us (and there have been some real doozies, most especially the ones who pretend otherwise.) Any real problems have been the result of administrative attitudes and actions that have far-reaching consequences, because the administration is the only entity on this board with any real power to enact their opinions about how things should work.

Here, effin here! It's the people that make a message board. It begins and ends there. Sadly, many of those people who made this board great when I joined up are now gone.

I should change my name to "Crotchety Old B a s t a r d" but "B a s t a r d" will probably get me warning point

During my experiences with message boards over the past twenty or more years, I noticed that you tend to lose some popular members over time no matter what is going -- it is a natural attrition. You lose the unpopular or less prolific ones too but they aren't noticeable or missed.

There are many reasons for this --  and it is true-- in some cases it is due to people getting upset about something or even banned. But most of the time it is changes in their own life that brings them to slow or stop participating. Family life, time constraints, other boards diverting their attention-- tons of reasons to stop coming around. The funny ones that FDQ get made fun of so most seasoned board users try to avoid that mess.

There are some boards I have been a member on for over 20 years--- but I find myself posting on some of those very infrequently and what was a daily visit becomes once a month. Some I haven't been back to in half a year- and some gone for good. I'm sure I am not alone in that regard.

And one thing all these boards have/had in common--- threads announcing how the board was dying.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, The Resurrection said:
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, the blob said:

A lot of people here are looking for a fight. Frankly, i have enough of that at home.

I am here to talk about comic books and comic book related accessories....., and fight

:headbang: 

6 hours ago, Bird said:

I prefer this park...

this is the only good song Rush ever did:

13 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

During my experiences with message boards over the past twenty or more years, I noticed that you tend to lose some popular members over time no matter what is going -- it is a natural attrition. You lose the unpopular or less prolific ones too but they aren't noticeable or missed.

There are many reasons for this --  and it is true-- in some cases it is due to people getting upset about something or even banned. But most of the time it is changes in their own life that brings them to slow or stop participating. Family life, time constraints, other boards diverting their attention-- tons of reasons to stop coming around. The funny ones that FDQ get made fun of so most seasoned board users try to avoid that mess.

There are some boards I have been a member on for over 20 years--- but I find myself posting on some of those very infrequently and what was a daily visit becomes once a month. Some I haven't been back to in half a year- and some gone for good. I'm sure I am not alone in that regard.

And one thing all these boards have/had in common--- threads announcing how the board was dying.

Good post Dude.  It really is like that isn't it.  People move along in their lives and really all most of us are to each other is an avatar picture and a bunch of type on a screen over and over and over again.  People really need to meet face to face to form true friendships.  I think that is /was part of the strength of all the east coast boardies.  

12 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Good post Dude.  It really is like that isn't it.  People move along in their lives and really all most of us are to each other is an avatar picture and a bunch of type on a screen over and over and over again.  People really need to meet face to face to form true friendships.  I think that is /was part of the strength of all the east coast boardies.  

That's what I miss! How come we don't  seem to have forum dinners together anymore? The great thing about this community is that we know some on a more personal level. I feel that's somewhat missing with the new guard.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

That's what I miss! How come we don't  seem to have forum dinners together anymore? The great thing about this community is that we know some on a more personal level. I feel that's somewhat missing with the new guard.

We almost connected Dave.  Duties and commitments  got in the way of us sharing a beer swigging lunch hour together.  Sorry, I wish it had come down differently :( 

4 minutes ago, Senormac said:

We almost connected Dave.  Duties and commitments  got in the way of us sharing a beer swigging lunch hour together.  Sorry, I wish it had come down differently :( 

Next year? I didn't go to Terrys show this year either. We had to go to a funeral.

45 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Very true-- and I have had numerous really good relationships that started from meeting people on message boards. I've met a handful of members from here but not many-- though I've only been here a relatively short period of time. But through other boards, we have started clubs outside the board (college football team fan base) and in others-- started meeting up for tail gates and out for dinners/lunch, attended parties at each others houses for New Yeras or other big occassions-- gone to weddings etc.

It makes sense-- as the world becomes more and more digitally connected, human contact is being driven toward that initial form of interaction.

Would love to meet up with a bunch of you guys at a con dinner some time. Maybe in a few years when I can travel a little further away

2 hours ago, Azkaban said:

Would love to meet up with a bunch of you guys at a con dinner some time. Maybe in a few years when I can travel a little further away

Dwayne I would love to meet you, Senormac, DeadOne, Bounty_Coder,Jayman , Wombat, and Kav.

I've already met the "legend" greggy. He was actually awake too!

Edited by oakman29

7 hours ago, Azkaban said:

Would love to meet up with a bunch of you guys at a con dinner some time.

That sounds good in theory, that is until you meet Greggy and everything is tossed out the window.The first time I met a lot of these guys was in Chicago at the Greek Town dinner. Had a really good time at that but they don't have it anymore. Met Joey, Watson, The Watcher, Rhino, Greggy, and lots of others. I think there were about 25/30 boardies there I just don't remember it was so long ago.