• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The name's Steranko, Jim Steranko
2 2

67 posts in this topic

Such an innovator.  He was one of the first SA guys to draw the heroes in the "leaner/athletic" form.  He and Adams paved that way.  Just look at the Cap 111 cover.   Such a departure from the "Kirby SA Cap", but it worked.   He influenced so many artists.  Look at Starlin's Cap Marvel stuff.  The Steranko influence is undeniable.   

On 2/20/2018 at 4:39 PM, chrisco37 said:

He influenced so many artists.  Look at Starlin's Cap Marvel stuff.  The Steranko influence is undeniable.   

The artist that I thought he influenced the most was Paul Gulacy which was clearly evident from the layouts and artistic renderings which he used for his beautiful Master of Kung Fu run.  :cloud9:

Still remembered mentioning Gulacy's name to Steranko once at a comic book convention, and he did not seem very happy or impressed at all.  lol

I’m sure many of us have met and spoken to him at length about books, woman, and life. He is still a lady killer, and can charm the best of them. I have a Cap 110 and 111, both personalized and I love them. Here is my Cap Sketch, and although it’s not SA, it has some of the CLEANEST lines. 

That big 113 splash is Nuts btw. 

47C353A5-8593-4A55-9A89-8E1926308106.jpeg

On 6/18/2018 at 3:29 PM, Dave2739 said:

Scooped this up at HeroesCon, coincidentally from the Heroes booth. Super cool and trippy Steranko art in the last story.OurLoveStory5.thumb.jpg.cb3ccd0da91ae737c21ee3ce1613e1e1.jpg

I think that was the last Steranko-drawn comic I tracked down.  NOT easy to find.  Nice pick-up.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, lou_fine said:

The artist that I thought he influenced the most was Paul Gulacy which was clearly evident from the layouts and artistic renderings which he used for his beautiful Master of Kung Fu run.  :cloud9:

Still remembered mentioning Gulacy's name to Steranko once at a comic book convention, and he did not seem very happy or impressed at all.  lol

That's unfortunate but not a surprise. Do you remember what year the convention took place? 

12 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Steranko's 2nd published work in Strange Tales #152. Bombastic, trend-setting, mind blowing:

D2Smgu2.jpg

:applause:

Sitting on the sidewalk next to the 7-11 with my best friend Mickey Johnson and reading our newest purchases of Marvel Comics; indeed we were blown away.  We thought this new guy Steranko was the best, along with that other new guy that came along a few months later at DC doing Deaman, the Specter, and various covers - Neal Adams.  Of course, Kirby was still King.

On 2/13/2018 at 8:58 AM, jimjum12 said:

While Steranko quickly became primarily a cover artist, his interior work was quite groundbreaking. This particular page from SHIELD # 2 was considered a classic at one time..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Nick_Fury_002p.jpg

That's not Steranko's art in the last panel.  I think he drew something like having his jacket on the floor or something and Marvel thought it was too suggestive.  And THAT'S what they replaced it with!  Jim still has the original art to this and many other pages of his, as he quickly demanded to get his art back - and they look like they were drawn yesterday.  All pristine white.  Oh he also figured out that if he brought in his pages at the last minute they didn't have time to change them.  Drove Stan nuts!  Smart, funny guy!  

On 6/25/2018 at 2:57 PM, pmpknface said:

That's not Steranko's art in the last panel.  I think he drew something like having his jacket on the floor or something and Marvel thought it was too suggestive.  And THAT'S what they replaced it with!  Jim still has the original art to this and many other pages of his, as he quickly demanded to get his art back - and they look like they were drawn yesterday.  All pristine white.  Oh he also figured out that if he brought in his pages at the last minute they didn't have time to change them.  Drove Stan nuts!  Smart, funny guy!  

I recall the controversy surrounding this page.  It's fairly amusing, given a holstered gun is pretty darn suggestive in itself :grin:

Are we sure the last panel is not just a blow-up from a detail in panel one?  Panel 11 looks alarmingly similar to the holstered gun in panel 1, which technically would make it Jim's artwork.  Unless it was actually light-boxed or re-drawn by another artist who used an enlargement of panel 1 as a reference.  But it looks like a straight enlargement paste-up to me (I could be wrong - maybe the line weight would be off by using a straight-up enlargement).

Edited by Unca Ben

On 2/13/2018 at 6:33 AM, entalmighty1 said:

I love the 1-7 run he did on Nick Fury. (thumbsu 

1906172202091.jpg

Both books are awfully similar!  David Sim is a parody artist.  However, Neal Adams might use his inspiration for the woman being chased by dogs on his cover.

26258.jpg

156707.jpg

2689.jpg

Edited by JollyComics

15 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I recall the controversy surrounding this page.  It's fairly amusing, given a holstered gun is pretty darn suggestive in itself :grin:

Are we sure the last panel is not just a blow-up from a detail in panel one?  Panel 11 looks alarmingly similar to the holstered gun in panel 1, which technically would make it Jim's artwork.  Unless it was actually light-boxed or re-drawn by another artist who used an enlargement of panel 1 as a reference.  But it looks like a straight enlargement paste-up to me (I could be wrong - maybe the line weight would be off by using a straight-up enlargement).

You could be right!  All I remember is it wasn't what Jim put to start with.  Yea...  it's more suggestive and Jim got a laugh out of it.