• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling...Auction site vs Ebay?

22 posts in this topic

I have a copy of "Brave & The Bold" #28 (first app.of the Justice League).  I just got it graded.  It's a 6.0 (with very minor restoration C-1).  I was going to put it up for auction on one of the bigger auction sites.  But was thinking of putting it up on Ebay first and seeing what I could get.  

Just was hoping for other people's opinions.

Thanks!!

With a book of that caliber, I would probably go through CLink or one of the other auction houses rather than eBay. My personal experience on eBay has been almost 100% fine for nearly 20 years, but I definitely get nervous anytime I sell a high-dollar item. It's more about security than just maxing out your dollars. 

5 hours ago, zipbags said:

I have a copy of "Brave & The Bold" #28 (first app.of the Justice League).  I just got it graded.  It's a 6.0 (with very minor restoration C-1).  I was going to put it up for auction on one of the bigger auction sites.  But was thinking of putting it up on Ebay first and seeing what I could get.  

Just was hoping for other people's opinions.

Thanks!!

Unless you run frequent auctions on E-Bay, nobody is going to be looking your way unless they are specifically searching on this book. In other words, the auction houses have a bigger audience.  IMO, you will do much better elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, zipbags said:

I was figuring that its such a big name book that it might be noticed.

Most of my auction purchases are books I just happened to see, as opposed to seeking them out. I rarely go searching for a specific book. Because it's a big book, you will get some attention, but not as much as you would like to. Everyone knows when the next Clink auction is. How is anyone going to know you listed something ?

Just now, zipbags said:

I was thinking of listing it on a bit of the higher end (still reasonable) and seeing what happens...Worst case it doesn't sell I can bring it to the auction house.

From personal experience, having a high starting bid is generally not conducive to getting bidders involved. Sorry, between the E-Bay solution and high starting auction bid, I think you are going about this in the wrong way. Your book, your decision but you asked.

9 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

With a book of that caliber, I would probably go through CLink or one of the other auction houses rather than eBay. My personal experience on eBay has been almost 100% fine for nearly 20 years, but I definitely get nervous anytime I sell a high-dollar item. It's more about security than just maxing out your dollars. 

What he said, you have scammers all over Ebay looking to screw sellers. I would not take the chance of selling it to someone and having them state they received an empty box. Comiclink is definitely the way to go. No chance of anything like that happening there.

For those responding with ComicLink, do you sell all of your books on ComicLink or only those that are higher value and\or rare? I've just started selling and I've been strictly using eBay with no issues. I see ComicLink charges the same commission...should I be making the change for all sales?

Put it up as a nice BIN for a couple months unless you need the cash.  Allow offers and expect some low ball offers before a nice offer comes along.  Use signature confirmation and go thru the proper channels and you should avoid any scams.  If it does not sell within a couple months put it in a ComicLink auction and see what the market says its worth.  I do have to admit E-Bay will be a stretch since its a $3,000 book and you don't have a high feedback but it's worth a shot for a bit.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Put it up as a nice BIN for a couple months unless you need the cash.  Allow offers and expect some low ball offers before a nice offer comes along.  Use signature confirmation and go thru the proper channels and you should avoid any scams.  If it does not sell within a couple months put it in a ComicLink auction and see what the market says its worth.  I do have to admit E-Bay will be a stretch since its a $3,000 book and you don't have a high feedback but it's worth a shot for a bit.

I actually have over 1000 feedback on ebay from buyers and sellers...Just not with comic books.   

23 minutes ago, zipbags said:

I actually have over 1000 feedback on ebay from buyers and sellers...Just not with comic books.   

Not going to mean much to comic book collectors except people will know you are not a scam artist.  It's a graded book so it won't matter as much but comic book people look for comic book sales.

On 2/13/2018 at 6:55 AM, maraxusofkeld said:

What he said, you have scammers all over Ebay looking to screw sellers. I would not take the chance of selling it to someone and having them state they received an empty box. Comiclink is definitely the way to go. No chance of anything like that happening there.

Hi Everyone, new to the board, Yes i agree with this, i had this happen to me about 8 yrs ago on some nice priced book from the range of $250-$500...i would stay away from Ebay on good quality high priced comics..Private auctions will be the best. Good Luck!

If you sell on ebay, you'll have your money in a few days. Sell through an auction house and you are talking weeks or months.  Mycomicshop seems to pay quickly. That has not been my experience with either comiclink or comicconnect.  Don't get me wrong, you will be paid. It's just that writing and signing checks don't seem to be a top priority at some auction houses.

eBay is riddled with tire kicking scammers and eBay sides with the buyers, even when the seller is innocent and right and the buyer is committing fraud.  eBay's customer service is horrible.

So, with high end merchandise your'e opening yourself up to paying someone to take your book, in other words the person who buys it can take your book, report that you'd sent an empty box or with 2 lbs of magazines in it, and file a complaint to get their money back and 95% of the time they'll win and you're also out the costs of shipping the item (and in cases of returns, you have to pay for the return shipping as well, and a buyer can easily say your item came damaged by simply taking a hammer to the CGC case, cracking it and saying it came that way, then can send you a box of junk, keep the comic and scam you out of your book)

With Heritage and ComicLink, the only 2 sites I'd say are organized, you send them the book, they list it, they collect the money, the assume all risk and customer service, and then they send you your money less their est. 10% commission fee for consignments.

It's cheaper than eBay where you have to pay for listings, selling fees and pay pal fees, then have to do the labor of listing and shipping.

I think that both Comic Link and Heritage are great and a book of your caliber can easily go to either site and realize fair market value sales prices without any reserve (no minimum bid barrier).

I sold on ebay for ten years and quit when they wanted Paypal to become my partner. I've had better luck with mycomicshop.com. They do all of the grunt work and their fee is reasonable. (Then again I never had to sell a highly expensive key book like a B&B 28).

My brother's friend  is selling the first 23 issues of Playboy next month, all CGC graded, with Heritage next month. That will be fun to watch. It will also give me some insight as to how Heritage works.