• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gripped holes

8 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Normally, I hear they don't deduct,  but these are pretty severe. I would suspect they would deduct, depending on the grade range. 

I would say, "yes", a deduction. Like any other defect that actually compromised the integrity and structure of the book, and this certainly did damage it. Doesn't matter if the machinery or some kid with a pliers created those holes. They are there and they are most certainly defects regardless of how or why.

Just imagine. Ebay images being what they typically are, low-res and blurry, you win a CGC 9.6 and when the book arrives, it's flawless. Except for a series of holes across the bottom. You silently mouth "What the....?". I can't see that happening. I've got to believe that in any instance, the CGC would not slab this with the same mindset of factoring distributor ink, something detractive, but not that harmed the book.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

I would say, "yes", a deduction. Like any other defect that actually compromised the integrity and structure of the book, and this certainly did damage it. Doesn't matter if the machinery or some kid with a pliers created those holes. They are there and they are most certainly defects regardless of how or why.

I 100% agree with you, a flaw is a flaw and should be deducted. Unfortunately CGC does not always view it that way and let many bindery issues slide. Things like Marvel chipping, printer's creases, and even these gripper holes get a pass, unless they are severe. It also games the 'system' as attempts are made to get CGC to believe some inflicted flaws are bindery.