• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of these two books has more upside from their current levels...
1 1

61 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, mbv said:

WWBN 32 or Walking Dead 1

Wwbn 32 I would say...or imo. But I'm definitely tempted to get a walking dead #27 at current prices lolin say 9.2 or something. This comes from a person who doesn't own a single walking dead book nor moon knight. But I did pay to have a head sketch of moon knight done by Don Perlin the creator of moon knight...

I'd agree that #1 would be more stable. #32 May have come down a bit now and later would go back up. If longterm I'd have to give a slight edge to #32. #1 is awesome but may or may not be tiresome. Only so much freshness to zombies imo. While Moonknight might have different antagonists, it wouldn't receive the spotlight as long as walking dead. 

It's an interesting question to say the least. (thumbsu

It's hard to say, because they're two very different books that are going to appeal to different sorts of folks. Bronze age Marvel 1st appearance of a C-list character that may pop up in a movie or tv show at some point, or the first appearance of a genuine cultural phenomenon that is currently cooling? I'd think it would all boil down to what you'd pay for them. WWBN is popping right now, and if a movie or something is announced it'll keep heading up. But after the announcement, or the failure of one to materialize, the price will level off. Meanwhile, Walking Dead has the small print run, and is the beginning of one of the biggest television events of all time, but is going to keep cooling as the show continues to decrease in popularity. But even if demand decreases, there still aren't nearly enough copies to meet the demand for them.

In the longterm I think WD would be the more solid book. I don't think it's going to increase in value beyond the current highs, but it should maintain better over time.

I dunno. The books are apples and oranges. But I'd personally rather have another WD 1.

"upside" as in which one will be the most fun to read in ten or twenty years? I dunno! I like zombies well enough. More of a werewolf kind of guy if I'm being honest, although I do love me some Walking Dead tv show. Moon Knight has never really appealed to me. I mean...Batman, amiright? But I'm not a hater. The heart wants what the heart wants, so they say. So if you enjoy you some Moon Knight, you do you! 

Hope this helped!

Upside as to which has the most capability to increase in value?  Walking Dead #1.  There is no comparison really imo, although it may not be the popular choice here. The average person doesn't know who the hell Moon Knight is.  They surely know Walking Dead whether they watch it or not and at least someone they knows is probably an addict.

Will people remember Walking Dead in 20+ years?  Vaguely at best.  Moon Knight is a permanent fixture in the Marvel pantheon, with popularity that has only grown over 40+ years.

I don’t see WD making the jump to lasting culture significance like Star Wars did.  Game of Thrones will have trouble enough, and it’s by far the more popular show.  The problem with any of these genre offerings is that you have to out-do virtually everything that came before and most of what is yet to come, unless you’re the progenitor (like LoTR).

Edited by exitmusicblue

9 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Will people remember Walking Dead in 20+ years?  Vaguely at best.  Moon Knight is a permanent fixture in the Marvel pantheon, with popularity that has only grown over 40+ years.

I don’t see WD making the jump to lasting culture significance like Star Wars did.  Game of Thrones will have trouble enough, and it’s by far the more popular show.  The problem with any of these genre offerings is that you have to out-do virtually everything that came before and most of what is yet to come, unless you’re the progenitor (like LoTR).

I feel quite the opposite.  I think WD is a huge cultural phenomenon  that has changed the way T.V. produces shows.

I am However a huge Moon Knight fan, but I think Walking Dead #1 Will rise to the heights of a TMNT #1 later down the line. Given the popularity, very low print run, demand of this book.

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I feel quite the opposite.  I think WD is a huge cultural phenomenon  that has changed the way T.V. produces shows.

I am However a huge Moon Knight fan, but I think Walking Dead #1 Will rise to the heights of a TMNT #1 later down the line. Given the popularity, very low print run, demand of this book.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought it caused a culture shock, but I guess your right. Even if it takes years to materlize. It could be considered the father or mackdaddy if you will of all zombies in comics...now black and white movies will probably last a while along with the a ongoing successful zombie centric comic...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

20 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I give WD a chance if it can somehow grow to cater to wider audiences, like all the legendary longstanding properties do (Star Wars, even TMNT to an extent).  As things stand, I don’t see it as unsurpassable in its own genre, which itself isn’t that broad.  I agree it *had* a sizable impact, but for investment purposes, it needs staying power.

4 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

I give WD a chance if it can somehow grow to cater to wider audiences, like all the legendary longstanding properties do (Star Wars, even TMNT to an extent).  As things stand, I don’t see it as unsurpassable in its own genre, which itself isn’t that broad.  I agree it *had* a sizable impact, but for investment purposes, it needs staying power.

Sizable impact? I guarantee that show is being talked about at every water cooler in the country. I know it is at my office.

What's the print run of the #1 7500? 

Not hardly enough for fans of the comic and or the show to go around. 

I believe that it will be a holy grail for many people 20+ years from now, and prices will seem cheap at today's prices.

I remember when my friend told me paying 500.00 for a mid grade AF 15 was nuts, that it wouldn't be worth that ever. He sure was wrong.

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Sizable impact? I guarantee that show is being talked about at every water cooler in the country. I know it is at my office.

I believe that it will be a holy grail for many people 20+ years from now, and prices will seem cheap at today's prices.

I remember when my friend told me paying 500.00 for a mid grade AF 15 was nuts, that it wouldn't be worth that ever. He sure was wrong.

Is it almost worth it to own a WD #1 in any grade then? I don't think I could afford a 9.8, but that is all that people discuss in conversations that I hear. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Spidey has a gazillion successful verticals... even that took decades of legend-building... WD has a handful at best, and the show’s star is dimming... how can that comparison be made this soon :o  Never say never, but has a ton of work cut out for it methinks.

4 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Spidey has a gazillion successful verticals... even that took decades of legend-building... WD has a handful at best, and the show’s star is dimming... how can that comparison be made this soon :o  Never say never, but has a ton of work cut out for it methinks.

When was the last great TMNT movie? That book is going for 30K in 9.8.

Is it really that far fetched for WD #1 in 9.8 To be a 20K book in twenty years?

5 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

I'm sure there is a list of sales somewhere, even if they have to give it a rest for a while, the spinoffs and other character building could come later

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is it almost worth it to own a WD #1 in any grade then? I don't think I could afford a 9.8, but that is all that people discuss in conversations that I hear. 

Would think, given the low print run and long term potential for the WD universe (tv shows come and go, but they'll be making WD comics for decades to come surely. Maybe a movie!) that ya, maybe I should grab a few low grade copies before MBV gets them all.

7 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

When was the last great TMNT movie? That book is going for 30K in 9.8.

Is it really that far fetched for WD #1 in 9.8 To be a 20K book in twenty years?

Bingo, for that matter, I think TMNT has work to do, as well.  There may come a time when no one alive will have had any direct exposure to quality TMNT content (unless the franchise has received a strong kick in the pants that I don’t know of).  Curiosities don’t do well in the market.  

The entire world used to know Scooby Doo... no more. Ghostbusters tried  to make itself relevant again, to mixed results.  Archie has made a miraculous comeback thanks to Afterlife and the success of the Riverdale show among youth.  Much will depend on WD’s future verticals.

Edited by exitmusicblue