• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of these two books has more upside from their current levels...
1 1

61 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Sizable impact? I guarantee that show is being talked about at every water cooler in the country. I know it is at my office.

What's the print run of the #1 7500? 

Not hardly enough for fans of the comic and or the show to go around. 

I believe that it will be a holy grail for many people 20+ years from now, and prices will seem cheap at today's prices.

I remember when my friend told me paying 500.00 for a mid grade AF 15 was nuts, that it wouldn't be worth that ever. He sure was wrong.

Yep.All my friends that laughed at me ponying up for Marvel SA keys in high school...they all ask me about them now.

3 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Bingo, for that matter, I think TMNT has work to do, as well.  There may come a time when no one alive will have had any direct exposure to quality TMNT content (unless the franchise has received a strong kick in the pants that I don’t know of).  Curiosities don’t do well in the market.  

The entire world used to know Scooby Doo... no more. Ghostbusters tried  to make itself relevant again, to mixed results.  Archie has made a miraculous comeback thanks to Afterlife and the success of the Riverdale show among youth.  Much will depend on WD’s other verticals.

Well then you have missed out on Sunday morning cartoons my friend.

My wife and I adopted two boys, they are now 8 and 4. Let me tell you they know the TMNT's it's their favorites. Scoop y Doo is going strong too!

Just now, oakman29 said:

Well then you have missed out on Sunday morning cartoons my friend.

My wife and I adopted two boys, they are now 8 and 4. Let me tell you they know the TMNT's it's their favorites. Scoop y Doo is going strong too!

Wow, good to hear !  Make WD a cartoon too, they can do something with fuzzy zombies hehe... Halloween-like but deeper?  : )

5 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Wow, good to hear !  Make WD a cartoon too, they can do something with fuzzy zombies hehe... Halloween-like but deeper?  : )

Don't get me wrong. I'm in speedcakes camp with owning both. If however I had to bet on a winner WD 1 would be it.

4 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Scooby-Doo / WD crossover!

Rick: "scoob, stop eating that sandwich and let me know if any walkers are coming!"

Scooby-Doo: "Munch, munch...Rick? Riiick???" " Ruh-Roh!"

1 minute ago, Jayman said:

@oakman29 I agree also on the Scooby-Doo popularity. It's one of my grandkids favorite shows! I watch it with them and I sometimes laugh more than they do! lol

My boys and I have a special day every sunday, and watch cartoons in our Batman PJ's(yes I have Batman PJ's) and eat Capt. Crunch. It's our Bro day.:cloud9:

20 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Will people remember Walking Dead in 20+ years?  Vaguely at best.  Moon Knight is a permanent fixture in the Marvel pantheon, with popularity that has only grown over 40+ years.

I don’t see WD making the jump to lasting culture significance like Star Wars did.  Game of Thrones will have trouble enough, and it’s by far the more popular show.  The problem with any of these genre offerings is that you have to out-do virtually everything that came before and most of what is yet to come, unless you’re the progenitor (like LoTR).

The people that spend hundreds and/or thousands of dollars on a comic book will remember Walking Dead in 20+ years. Walking Dead #1 is arguably the most important book in comics since the start of the 2000s. It is responsible for the resurgence of Image, created an entire wave of new money being put into comics, and is the reason why numerous comic book properties have been adapted for television including Preacher, The Strain, Lucifer, Gotham, and iZombie, etc. I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that it will only be vaguely remembered, especially if you are speaking among comic book fans/readers/collectors, because that is ridiculous.

Moon Knight is just popular enough to earn a series reboot every 2 years. The run-up on Werewolf By Night #32 was due in large part to a false rumor 2 years ago that the character was going to be included in the next wave of Netflix shows for Marvel and since then has not seen pushback as buyers are now pot committed, have fomo, and because the possibility of the character appearing on screen...somewhere still makes a lot of sense to many of them.

10 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

I give WD a chance if it can somehow grow to cater to wider audiences, like all the legendary longstanding properties do (Star Wars, even TMNT to an extent).  As things stand, I don’t see it as unsurpassable in its own genre, which itself isn’t that broad.  I agree it *had* a sizable impact, but for investment purposes, it needs staying power.

Cater to wider audience? The book outsold every Marvel title last month. Millions still watch the show despite it being worse than ever. The property has already made its impact, it doesn't need to do anything more and it will still be a key book for decades. The only mark against Walking Dead #1 is that it was published during the professional grading era, which means the census numbers will always be overwhelmingly top-heavy. 

16 minutes ago, darkstar said:

The people that spend hundreds and/or thousands of dollars on a comic book will remember Walking Dead in 20+ years. Walking Dead #1 is arguably the most important book in comics since the start of the 2000s. It is responsible for the resurgence of Image, created an entire wave of new money being put into comics, and is the reason why numerous comic book properties have been adapted for television including Preacher, The Strain, Lucifer, Gotham, and iZombie, etc. I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that it will only be vaguely remembered, especially if you are speaking among comic book fans/readers/collectors, because that is ridiculous.

Moon Knight is just popular enough to earn a series reboot every 2 years. The run-up on Werewolf By Night #32 was due in large part to a false rumor 2 years ago that the character was going to be included in the next wave of Netflix shows for Marvel and since then has not seen pushback as buyers are now pot committed, have fomo, and because the possibility of the character appearing on screen...somewhere still makes a lot of sense to many of them.

Cater to wider audience? The book outsold every Marvel title last month. Millions still watch the show despite it being worse than ever. The property has already made its impact, it doesn't need to do anything more and it will still be a key book for decades. The only mark against Walking Dead #1 is that it was published during the professional grading era, which means the census numbers will always be overwhelmingly top-heavy. 

I agree with so much of this it sickens me

I fully agree with darkstar - great statement! 

WWBN 32 will always be a key but in low numbers, even if a tv show or movie is made.

Walkind Dead #1 will always more popular due to the tv show, impact on movie/tv shows and of course it being a modern book. 

I'd rather have a WWBN 32 just because Moon Knight is one of my favorite characters, and I even dressed as him for Halloween once! B|

Edited by martini25

35 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Didn’t mean to ruffle the feathers of WD fans, I just speak from the vantage point of a longtime collector who also studied history (including the history of culture).  Moonie is going nowhere as long as Marvel is kickin’.  When WD outsells all Marvel sales combined, then i’ll be satisfied.  Until then. or until the show evolves from being “worse than ever” or has successful spinoffs or a film franchise, I’m not persuaded.  

Having never been a WD fan, I’m offering what I think is an objective opinion.  There are many more in this camp in the bajillion pages long Modern thread.  : )

31 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I agree with so much of this it sickens me

Tj

48 minutes ago, darkstar said:

This.

Moon Knight is a C-list character.

Yes - Netflix will eventually make a show, or he might feature in a movie or two.

But he'll still be a C-list character, alongside Iron Fist and Blade.

The problem with "investing" in his likely media appearance in the next three years is that...it will come and go.

Five years from now (and two years post-solo Netflix show or equivalent) he'll be back to being his usual C-list self, a la Iron Fist and well...Blade.

Plus, most of the run-up in WBN 32 has already happened over the last two years because of (false) rumors of an announcement by now.

I enjoy the character; I _love_ that particular book.

But 10 years from now (and 15, and 20) Walking Dead 1 beats it hands-down.