• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 - Real or Fake?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

It's counterfeit.  If you've never seen the inside cover of a real one it can sometimes be hard to tell.  One man's glossy is another man's flat.  The best indication is to look at the dragon splash.  If Cerebus is black it's a counterfeit.

Counterfeit for sure, I Think the easiest  way to tell is to look at the S at the end of Cerebus and the $1.  the S and $1 on the real ones are never fully printed on. The $1 should have ink missing on the bottom right corner. The Bottom of the S should not be complete either.

See how the S is pretty much complete on the fake one? On the real there is a lack of white ink on the bottom. Same with the $1. Bottom right corner should be missing. Iv Double checked every real and fake copy  I have seen and so far it holds true.

cerebus1compare.thumb.jpg.fb7442ad0a75d20d039ed798cb8f2dbf.jpg

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

o.O

Its true Especially with a lower grade book. Gloss fades on all books. Iv seen real ones that haven't looked glossy. You can tell if you have a real and fake side by side. But a low grade counterfeit in the wild is tough unless you use the other methods

2 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

Its true Especially with a lower grade book. Gloss fades on all books. Iv seen real ones that haven't looked glossy. You can tell if you have a real and fake side by side. But a low grade counterfeit in the wild is tough unless you use the other methods

o.O

11 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No.

frontinsidecovermedium cerebus 1.jpg

Agree to disagree, All color/gloss can and will fade if not properly stored.

Like I said SIDE BY SIDE its easy to tell. Im not saying there is no difference, all im saying is Single book in the wild you start to second guess yourself unless you have seen a boatload of them. Thats why I dont think you should go just by Gloss.

2 hours ago, Stronguy said:

It's counterfeit.  If you've never seen the inside cover of a real one it can sometimes be hard to tell.  One man's glossy is another man's flat.  The best indication is to look at the dragon splash.  If Cerebus is black it's a counterfeit.

Yup, that was the easiest way for me to tell. Nothing really subjective to that part.

40 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

Agree to disagree, All color/gloss can and will fade if not properly stored.

Like I said SIDE BY SIDE its easy to tell. Im not saying there is no difference, all im saying is Single book in the wild you start to second guess yourself unless you have seen a boatload of them. Thats why I dont think you should go just by Gloss.

No. Gloss does not "fade." It can be worn, but wearing the inside front cover's gloss off is going to be fairly uncommon (understatement.) See the reflection of the light in the above picture? If the interior front cover reflects light, as in the picture above, it is counterfeit. If one has even a little experience with these books, they do not need a "side by side" comparison to tell the difference. It is glaringly (pun unintended) obvious, and an instant giveaway.

No obscure art "tells", which aren't consistent anyways, necessary. If further help is necessary, compare a typical Direct market copy of Spawn below #100 to a  standard Marvel book from 1994 (say, GI Joe #150), and you'll get an idea of the difference.

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No. Gloss does not "fade." It can be worn, but wearing the inside front cover's gloss off is going to be fairly uncommon (understatement.) See the reflection of the light in the above picture? If the interior front cover reflects light, as in the picture above, it is counterfeit. If one has even a little experience with these books, they do not need a "side by side" comparison to tell the difference. It is glaringly (pun unintended) obvious, and an instant giveaway.

No obscure art "tells", which aren't consistent anyways, necessary. If further help is necessary, compare a typical Direct market copy of Spawn below #100 to a  standard Marvel book from 1994 (say, GI Joe #150), and you'll get an idea of the difference.

If you say so. I don't really feel like arguing about it.

Well then Maybe its just me. But wherever I see a Cerebus 1 I always struggle When Looking at the "Glossyness". Not to mention you actually have to have the book in hand or an interior pic. Not saying your wrong. I just like other methods better.

I thought of a better example,,which would be the inside front covers of Batman: The Dark Knight #1-4. If the "finish" (for lack of a better term) looks like a cover of Spawn, it's a counterfeit. If it looks like the inside front covers of DK, it's real.

47 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I thought of a better example,,which would be the inside front covers of Batman: The Dark Knight #1-4. If the "finish" (for lack of a better term) looks like a cover of Spawn, it's a counterfeit. If it looks like the inside front covers of DK, it's real.

Who would counterfeit DK 1-4??

:baiting:

:smile: