• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing Cry for Dawn or other thick cover books
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Not big into pressing, especially with cheap moderns - but having trouble finding 9.8 Cry for Dawns in slabs and would like a full set. Have a few raw sets including limited and different prints which I’d call NM or better. I’m wondering if anyone has had any luck with pressing Cry for Dawns - or any books with thick card stock covers?  Seems like it would be tough to get much, if any, bump with those thick covers, they show everything.  I could send them in unpressed pre-screen but many are probably 9.4/9.6 - wondering if I might be able to get more 9.8s with a press on these thick cover issues. 

Edited by diestler

Pressing them is not a problem.  Results are generally pretty decent.  The main difference is that damage tends to show up on card stock covers more than regular ones.  What is a totally correctable thumb crease on a regular issue may actually leave a color break on card stack.  Overall a pressing improves the book but you need to find someone who knows what they're doing.  It takes a lot of humidity to relax the card stock.  If you get that much moisture on the thin, interior pages you stand a chance of warping them.

10 hours ago, Stronguy said:

Pressing them is not a problem.  Results are generally pretty decent.  The main difference is that damage tends to show up on card stock covers more than regular ones.  What is a totally correctable thumb crease on a regular issue may actually leave a color break on card stack.  Overall a pressing improves the book but you need to find someone who knows what they're doing.  It takes a lot of humidity to relax the card stock.  If you get that much moisture on the thin, interior pages you stand a chance of warping them.

Thank you (thumbsu

52 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Sounds like you are saying it actually is a problem and that you've gotta be very very careful

I think he's saying "leave it to the pros". There's a lot of nutjobs running around with hand steamers and tacking irons these days.

Edited by F For Fake

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I think he's saying "leave it to the pros". There's a lot of nutjobs running around with hand steamers and tacking irons these days.

That's exactly what I'm saying.  If you haven't pressed card stock books you're going to be in for a shock.  The way you humidify a book will affect the results.  Just putting the book in your water box like you would a regular comic will not necessarily work.