• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine #1 ‘88 - Is that a mask or shadow?

18 posts in this topic

I forget if it ever comes off in the story, seems like I remember that it was like that throughout the story, but I always thought that it was black paint, like a football player would put on before a game? idk it may remain a mystery @Carl Elvis

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I forget if it ever comes off in the story, seems like I remember that it was like that throughout the story, but I always thought that it was black paint, like a football player would put on before a game? idk it may remain a mystery @Carl Elvis

I really like this explanation. (thumbsu

6B464E55-C2DA-4E6C-86EE-9A8554F8EF51.jpeg.585fc49620d92afcb5624589092eb3fc.jpeg

On 2/13/2018 at 12:59 PM, seanfingh said:

I hated that book so much.  John Buscema art + Madripoor was not what my 17 year old self was hoping for out of a brand new Wolvie ongoing.  I always assumed it was a shadow, but what would be causing it? lol

It's Sal Buscema, no?  He just did the covers IIRC.

Edited by SteppinRazor

On 2/13/2018 at 1:59 PM, seanfingh said:

I hated that book so much.  John Buscema art + Madripoor was not what my 17 year old self was hoping for out of a brand new Wolvie ongoing.  I always assumed it was a shadow, but what would be causing it? lol

I was the exact same. "A solo Wolverine book! Awesome! Wait...why does he look like he just got out Flashdance?"

I haven't read them since they were originally released, but pretty sure it was supposed to be an actual mask, because he was under cover as "Patch" (the X-Men were "dead" at the time), and the most singular hairstyle in the world and metal claws surely wouldn't tip anyone off otherwise.

Same thing...was disappointed with the story.  It totally sold like hotcakes anyway...we sold a lot of copies at our shop back then.

And I have a newsstand double cover #2 I have do dig out of my boxes still... ;)

On 2/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, seanfingh said:

I hated that book so much.  John Buscema art + Madripoor was not what my 17 year old self was hoping for 

OMG yes.   Me too.

4 hours ago, davidpg said:

Same thing...was disappointed with the story.  It totally sold like hotcakes anyway...

I was like 13 years old or something and I bought 17 copies thinking it would be awesome and I'd flip them.

It sucked, but I still flipped them.

You guys are being way too harsh IMO.  While not flashy like the artists who went on to Image, I always thought John Buscema was a master of creating panels that flowed easily and told a cohesive visual story.  His work never got tiring to look at and it never overpowered a story like some of the hotter artists' work did at times. 

Wolverine 6 was awesome.  Bloodsport and Roughhouse were great and convincing villains who could kill without mercy and were the type that a young kid like me loved to hate.  Wolverine 10 is the most memorable story line from any X-Men title since.  Not only was Sabretooth a killer, but he was a rapist too.   Also the first appearance of Wolverine without his claws.  (Those stupid bone claws never made sense to me and that was a contributing reason to why I stopped reading the title after the whole 304, 75, and 25 story arc. I'll also never forgive how lame Sabretooth got around that same time, with his dumb mask like Gambit and all the others had at the time.)  The Gehenna Stone issues were cool as well.

While I am not saying this run was on a par with any thing like the limited series from 82, it was still light years ahead of what the series turned into after issue 49.  Issue 50 where they began ruining the magnificent number 10 story was definitely the beginning of the end for me.

10 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

You guys are being way too harsh IMO.  While not flashy like the artists who went on to Image, I always thought John Buscema was a master of creating panels that flowed easily and told a cohesive visual story.  His work never got tiring to look at and it never overpowered a story like some of the hotter artists' work did at times. 

Wolverine 6 was awesome.  Bloodsport and Roughhouse were great and convincing villains who could kill without mercy and were the type that a young kid like me loved to hate.  Wolverine 10 is the most memorable story line from any X-Men title since.  Not only was Sabretooth a killer, but he was a rapist too.   Also the first appearance of Wolverine without his claws.  (Those stupid bone claws never made sense to me and that was a contributing reason to why I stopped reading the title after the whole 304, 75, and 25 story arc. I'll also never forgive how lame Sabretooth got around that same time, with his dumb mask like Gambit and all the others had at the time.)  The Gehenna Stone issues were cool as well.

While I am not saying this run was on a par with any thing like the limited series from 82, it was still light years ahead of what the series turned into after issue 49.  Issue 50 where they began ruining the magnificent number 10 story was definitely the beginning of the end for me.

I would never take anything away from your enjoyment of the series, but for me it was a huge let down. 

On 2/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, seanfingh said:

On 3/6/2018 at 4:07 PM, Bronty said:
On 3/6/2018 at 11:08 AM, davidpg said:

Same thing...was disappointed with the story.  It totally sold like hotcakes anyway...

I was like 13 years old or something and I bought 17 copies thinking it would be awesome and I'd flip them.

It sucked, but I still flipped them

Aw, what do Bronty and seanfingh know? Just a couple of hacks . . . . :grin:

:kidaround: